• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A thought tangent to "Permits to Purchase"

Mesatchornug

NES Member
So, theoretically, one can own a firearm and posses it under the mythical "Permit to Purchase."

But they would still need a separate permit to posses ammunition/components, no? Doesn't that mean that you still can't actually have (use of) a firearm in your home for defense without a permit?

Doesn't the defense of the may issue nature of our licensing system hinge on the idea that you don't strictly have to have a license to have a firearm?

Disregarding the tiny, little (insignificant-really) detail where there's (in my understanding) never been one issued, am I missing something here, or is this just business as usual?

I'd be surprised at this point if there is anyone still alive that has a handgun they bought with a PTP.

Way back when the ammo thing was probably covered by having an FID. PTP struck me as a dirty hack one could use if they simply wanted a handgun in their house but only had a FID and not a pistol permit.

-Mike

This is my understanding of MA laws. I may be mistaken, of course...

Prior to Chapter 180 of the 1998 laws in MA, the FID allowed you to possess a handgun in your home or business, but not to purchase or transport it. At that time, a Permit to Purchase made a bit of sense -- it would let you buy the gun and the FID would let you keep it in your home.

After Chapter 180 of 1998 was passed, however, the FID no longer allowed you to possess the handgun in your home. So it doesn't seem to me that the Permit to Purchase is worth anything.

But perhaps I'm missing something important...

So, theoretically, one can own a firearm and posses it under the mythical "Permit to Purchase."

Not after 1998.

Permit to Purchase were not mythical. When I was a Mass Non Res at Ft Devens in the 80's I had a non Res LTC. It was good for 2 years and was blue. Printed on the license was : " Not Valid for Purchase of Firearms or Ammunition "
I got around the ammo part by getting an FID. If I wanted to buy a handgun I had to buy a Permit to Purchase from the FRB. They cost 2 dollars and were good for ten days as I recall. You could buy them via mail, but I'd just go in to 1010 Commonwealth Ave in Boston and buy them. An extra step but not the end of the world.

I don't care what Glidden or anyone else says, they were real and you can ask anybody who bought a handgun from a dealer who was stationed at Ft Devens in that time frame. Ayer PD was very good about giving FIDs to GIs but if you wanted hand guns you had to go the non Res LTC route then. 35.00 good for two years, had to be signed off by the Provost Marshal then you took it to the FRB. The turnaround was very quick.

Back
Top Bottom