A tale of two Yugos - SKS range report

Bob01605

NES Member
M59_target.jpgTwo Yugos.jpgI have two Yugoslavian SKS's. One is an M59/66 that I picked up in trade with a fellow Northheastshooter.com shooter. The other is an rearsenaled M59 that I picked up from xxxxxxxx when they had them for sale a few months ago. This is not a "true M59" and it had import markings. I believe it was made up from a 59/66 that had the grenade launcher removed. I don't really care because I am not a collector. More important (to me) is that both guns have perfect bores. The original issue sights on both guns were replaced with Techsight receiver sights. This increases the sight radius to about 27 5/8 inches on both guns and makes for a better sight picture. Ammo used was TulAmmo 122 grain hollow point, Prvi Partizan 123 grain round nose ammo and some handloads of mine with a 170 grain .311 diameter Remington bullet and H322 powder. I first tried shooting at 200 meters but found that the 8 inch bull on the target did not show up well at that distance. It was a cloudy day and I think that made matters worse. After one group, and kind of knowing I didn't have a good sight picture, I moved the 8 inch bull targets to 100 meters. I went through about 100 rounds - about 50 rounds through each gun. The one largest group was about 4 inches and the smallest (seen in the photo and made with the rearsenaled M59) was 1.81 inches. Note - the group is high because I didn't adjust the sights on either gun when I moved in to 100 meters. Most groups were in the 2 1/2 to 3 inch range and fairly round in structure. Each gun preferred the TulAmmo over my handloads or the Prvi ammo. For accuracy the Prvi ammo came in last. I bought some of the Prvi because it is boxer primed and reloadable. What I did learn is that BOTH guns are pretty accurate with off the shelf ammo. In separating the groups by gun, I can't really conclude that either one was markedly more accurate than the other. When I get a good day with a lot of sun and I pick up maybe some 12 inch black bulls, I will try some groups at 200 meters. Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom