A tale of two cities...

MALDENQB02

NES Member
So I just renewed my LTC. This had to have been one of the easiest processes of anything I have done in my life, government related.

So lets backtrack 5 years. I am new to guns, just opened the Pandora's box of attempting to be a gun owner in Massachusetts. I took my safety course and dropped everything off in Medford PD. didn't hear anything after about a month so I went down to inquire. I was told the license guy was on vacation to come back next week. after about 3 more in person visits and multiple phone calls, I get an email with my "appointment." So I go take a picture, do my fingerprints, the whole nine yards... I asked if I needed to talk to the chief (after consulting NES, I figured this was the case). "nope. license will be ready in a 'few weeks'" this appointment was about two months after initially dropping off my application.

After about 4 weeks, I started calling and inquiring. I would call every Monday and every time I would get the same answer "not yet, try back next week." I almost gave up. I didn't call one week, and that Friday night I got a call saying my license was ready to be picked up. I went the next morning and the guy wasn't there!! he made a special trip THE NEXT DAY (Sunday) just to get me my license. I remember it specifically because I was pissed there wasn't a gun store open on Sunday... the worst part is he told me that it has been sitting in his files for "a few weeks."

so now I have my license I am having fun buying some things... a few months later I get a call from the PD "I need you to come by when you get a chance. the officer who used to handle firearms passed away. He mistakenly gave you no restrictions. we need to add sporting restrictions" (some may remember that thread).

Now fast forward to 2016. I buy a house in Leominster. My LTC is going to be expiring soon, and according to the experts here, I should go to renew 4-6 months prior to expiration because of the "state's backlog."

I call Leominster PD, press the number for firearms and a lovely lady answers. I tell her my license is about to expire. she says come down this evening after I got out of work. went down, paperwork took about 20 minutes. had a really nice conversation. she told me it would take about 8-10 weeks because there was a slight backup. but she said she will call me when it comes in. This was the second week of January. last week I get a phone call "sir, your LTC is ready. I will leave it with the front desk. give them your name and DOB and you will be all set.

didn't have to call, didn't have to jump through hoops. same day appointment... amazing. The lady was not a police officer. just a city employee. she explained how the police department and the chief didn't not believe in restrictions and we had a conversation pertaining to the point of applying for a license "to carry" if you cant carry.

I only lived in this town for a few months but I already love it. maybe its just the fact that I grew up in the city all my life that I have such an appreciation for the polite people out here or what but I promise you I am never moving back within the greater Boston Area.

Some towns are just better than others. Haverhill is great. No fuss at all.

That's because you don't live in the Democratic state of Massachusetts. You now live in the Republican suburbs. [laugh] I grew up in Everett, lived in Byfield (Newbury) for 17 years, now out here in free state Brookfields' (sort of) Mass. where carrying a gun is like wearing shoes. You can bet Healey and Warren would never go west of Worcester.

My issuing officer took a long time but he did explain why and put most of it on himself and the way he does things.
See he only does interviews/apps on 3rd thurs of the month and waits until he had 10+ people to interview/apps that can take a few weeks right there.

My issuing officer took a long time but he did explain why and put most of it on himself and the way he does things.
See he only does interviews/apps on 3rd thurs of the month and waits until he had 10+ people to interview/apps that can take a few weeks right there.

procrastination at its best.... that's a bit ridiculous.

I live in Townsend. I find the North Central part of MA to be very gun friendly. I know people from several local towns that have had no trouble getting ALP LTC's. As the others have said--the suburbs are no way as moonbat as inside 495.

• It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
​Dickens was a prophet

That's not right.

You are required to get a license. It's the PD's job to issue it. They should not make their customer/employer wait until they feel like it's worth their while do deal with it. [puke]

Mini rant over.

That's not right.

You are required to get a license. It's the PD's job to issue it. They should not make their customer/employer wait until they feel like it's worth their while do deal with it. [puke]

Mini rant over.

Yeah. Maybe they should hold his paycheck until he's earned enough to make it worthwhile cutting the check. And then do it only on every 3rd Tuesday of the month.

I live in Townsend. I find the North Central part of MA to be very gun friendly. I know people from several local towns that have had no trouble getting ALP LTC's. As the others have said--the suburbs are no way as moonbat as inside 495.

It used to be inside of 128. Moonbatism is creeping west.

That's not right.

Mini rant over.

I agree it's not right but what is with the process...
There's really no way to make them do things and even if there where a bunch of LEO must do this and that there is generally no punishment for not doing this or that.

[rofl]

It took me ONE week to get my Georgia carry permit.
I walked in, filled out the paperwork, proved my residency, had my picture and fingerprints taken, signed the forms.
One week later they called me and said "come pick it up".

It's the same procedure, same background check.
This is SUCH crap.
And it took me EIGHT WEEKS (more or less) to get my Connecticut permit. There's just NO reason for this, other than bureaucratic bullshit.

FYI Leominster and the surrounding towns all voted for Clinton in November.

Leominster has been green for many years and Democratic State Senator Jen Flanagan has been pro gun.

Please consider joining one of the two very active sportsman's clubs in town. North Leominster or the Leominster Sportsmans Assn. Both have good ranges.

Leominster has been green for many years and Democratic State Senator Jen Flanagan has been pro gun.

Please consider joining one of the two very active sportsman's clubs in town. North Leominster or the Leominster Sportsmans Assn. Both have good ranges.

i actually have been looking for a good range out here. I will look them both up. Thanks!

Jeez. Dick move on multiple parts by Meffah. And other PD's. You gotta hope that at some point in the next couple of years, a SC court case going after Chicago and/or DC goes so far as to say that it's not a MAY issue, it's a SHALL issue right.

... a few months later I get a call from the PD "I need you to come by when you get a chance. the officer who used to handle firearms passed away. He mistakenly gave you no restrictions. we need to add sporting restrictions" (some may remember that thread).

I remember that very well.

Weren't you also a UMass student when the Lowell licensing officer was a guest lecturer, and you posted about her saying what she would do to someone if she ever did a traffic stop on them and found out they had a LTC?

If so, that story fits in perfectly with this thread.

FYI Leominster and the surrounding towns all voted for Clinton in November.

Yeah they certainly did, but that's because moonbattery is basically everywhere in MA at this point, with very few exceptions - they
hold a simple majority everywhere, and/or there are a lot of "independents that usually vote democrat " that hide in the
bushes and flip once in awhile.

The only difference in NoCentMA is that its pushed below the surface quite a bit further than it is in someplace like
Cambridge. In the Leominster Fitchburg area there are an abundance of places to shoot. Leominster has at least
2 clubs and Fitchburg has like 3+ (although ironically none of the fitchburg clubs are actually in Fitchburg, but rather,
on the outskirts, or one town over. )

-Mike

I remember that very well.

Weren't you also a UMass student when the Lowell licensing officer was a guest lecturer, and you posted about her saying what she would do to someone if she ever did a traffic stop on them and found out they had a LTC?

If so, that story fits in perfectly with this thread.

yes, that's right. All hat time wasted at UMass and now I got a boring government job lol

Back
Top Bottom