• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A smoked Colt Navy...

Sweeney

NES Member
My next victim...er... project.
This 1851 Colt Navy (1861 production) was the victim of severe smoke inhalation. It was in a house that partially burned but didn't get wet was bathed in hot combustion byproducts. My assumption is these condensed onto the metal bits and corroded them. It was mechanically functional before but is now completely frozen except the ramming lever latch.
It appears that someone used the muzzle to drive RR spikes into plate armor so I'll try to address that. I'd like to make it a shooter if possible. First step, see If any of the screws come out.
1851 Colt Navy.jpg

Ultrasonic tank with some acetone/ATF ?
I want to get the grip off before I hit it with any oil/penetrants so the wood doesn't soak any of it up. I'm hoping the the corrosion didn't penetrate the threads. I'll start poking at it soon.

The wood actually looks like it's in good shape, all things considered. That magazine fits nice and flush in the grip too.
It's not dropping free anymore so I may convert to belt feed.

The wood has a bit of char so it will get a denatured alcohol and steel wool bath once free. The brass trigger guard/back strap have a shiny black coating of combustion byproduct that looks like paint.

While you are figuring out getting the wood off start hitting the screws with Kroil every day and setting the revolver in different positions.
However you attack the restoration after you get the wood off the kroil will have a head start getting into the threads.
I have taken on projects like this on and have been pleasantly surprised and also been beat by them.
Remember to go slow use the correct screwdrivers and tap them into the screwhead,don’t be afraid to add a little heat.
I bet you are going to have good results with this one.
Good luck.

Spit on it and buff it out.
Not telling you what to do but for anyone ever trying to do this stuff

Solid vise to hold it , VERY GOOD bits

Also add and depending on your skill and risk i have used 3/8 drive impact screw driver with good results
Thought about a 1/4” one
Amazon product ASIN B00MXFFPVYView: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W2503-Impact-Extractor/dp/B00MXFFPVY/ref=asc_df_B00MXFFPVY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309813767497&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12181815359490854454&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002050&hvtargid=pla-568899476334&psc=1

BUT with all these new dangfangle electric impact drivers , set it on low andcgive it a rattle

Still like using a soldering iron to heat small nuts bolts

Last edited:
71tAoJSI+cL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Where are you planning to mount the rail?

I always did like a good rail...

If it were me I'd take it to a professional.
I'm just making it presentable for a friend. I'd like to make it a shooter but the muzzle might curtail that. It's had a good impact on the nose distorting the bore. I plan to cut it back a bit to square it but may also need to counter bore 1/4" to get back past the distortion.

I’ve done electrolysis and it’s worked well, but only on guns that a are worth a fraction of what that Colt is worth.

Back
Top Bottom