• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A Safety Reminder.

Jbarila

NES Member
I have been shooting all my life and instructing for many years.
Was trying a P2000 of a friends and guess what? I had a hangfire with winchester factory loads. Did what I have been telling people for years. muzzle down range on the click and at one thousand and four Bang. Sure surprised me and reminded me safety at all times.

Last edited:
With modern ammo that just doesn't happen, right? Goes to show you how proper safety and gun handling is so important.

I have yet to see one in person, but still appreciate the rules for when its the old click and no boom. Thanks for sharing with us.

It's why rule #1 is a good idea.

I would also suspect something is wrong with the gun, unless you're certain it actually hit the primer well.

That almost sounds like what happened with a used Ruger MKII when I first got it. Sometimes the trigger would lapse into this coma-like condition. You would pull the trigger and no bang, although it felt like the sear was releasing. Then suddenly it would fire if you breathed on it the wrong way. Needless to say I got it fixed.

What the heck is a P2?

-Mike

Good job on remembering to be be safe! The click with no boom is truly the loudest sound in the world.

Thanks for the reminder.

The only hang fire I have ever witnessed was when my wife was shooting my Glock 17 over at Manchester Firing Line (was Wolf's at the time) I'd say it had to be 1994ish.

Factory ammo (Remington UMC yellow box stuff). She had been having stovepipe jams due to limp wristing and had finally had a decent string of shots go bang in a row when it just went CLICK.

Keeping the muzzle down range, she turns her head to me and asked why it didn't go... then it went BANG!

Scared the crap out of both of us.

She was a complete noob with firearms at the time but took the safety instructions I gave here to heart.

When I got my 9mm Hi-Point carbine from the recent group buy, there was a yellow warning paper that suggested shaking your ammunition prior to use in order to prevent hang fires. It makes sense... any thoughts?

As a Soldier, we always banged full magazines against our helmets prior to inserting them. I always thought that it was to make sure that the rounds were seated to the rear of the magazine so the bullet tip wouldn't catch on the magazine lip... but maybe it had another purpose as well?

I thought that I had one a few weeks ago. You are right the click with no bang is the loudest sound in the world. I kept barrel down range and waited a good 10 seconds. took the round out of the chamber and saw that the primer had been struck. I guess I need to pay more attention to my reloads. I missed the powder on that one.

Back
Top Bottom