• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A reason to reload

I just want to point out a reason to think about casting your own bullets.
I have been doing this for more than 50 years because it is fun, and I am a conservative yankee.
I just reloaded 1000 previosly fired 44 mag cases,cast, using my own wheel weight 250g Keith style PB bullets lubed w/ alox/beeswax NRA mix.
About 1-1/2 lbs of Unique @ $10.00/lb. bought some time ago @ Riley's. 8 lb. keg @ 79.99. Primers bought by the 5k sleeve @ &75.00, Wheel weights, n/c @ local garage. Lube,$5.00, Electricity? Time, fun. So I am looking at 3.5 cents per round, worst case senario including electricity.
Where can you buy 100 rounds of 44 mags for that price?
This is a moderate load cosisting of 10G of powder yeilding a velocity of 1050fps from a Super Blackhawk, and is reasonably comfortable in a S&W model 29, and you only lap the bore in shooting it.
A great way to spend a crappy winters day!

BIG GUN,
You've certainly got a point there. I'm not sure that I agree completely with your definition of fun though. I've got the equipment and 1/2 ton of alloy in the shed but when I think of the hours of "fun", I'm strongly inclined to spend $80/m to have someone else cast them for me.
Sounds like a worthwhile retirement project though. I've been thinking about picking up a few jugs of the milsurp powder while it's still out there.

BIG GUN,
You've certainly got a point there. I'm not sure that I agree completely with your definition of fun though. I've got the equipment and 1/2 ton of alloy in the shed but when I think of the hours of "fun", I'm strongly inclined to spend $80/m to have someone else cast them for me.
Sounds like a worthwhile retirement project though. I've been thinking about picking up a few jugs of the milsurp powder while it's still out there.

To each his own!

Back
Top Bottom