A reason not to stop and help

Mass Gen Laws:

Chapter 112: Section 12V. Exemption of certain individuals rendering emergency cardiopulmonary resuscitation from civil liability

Section 12V. Any person, whose usual and regular duties do not include the provision of emergency medical care, and who, in good faith, attempts to render emergency care including, but not limited to, cardiopulmonary resuscitation or defibrillation, and does so without compensation, shall not be liable for acts or omissions, other than gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct, resulting from the attempt to render such emergency care.

Good for you guys.

In Ohio you are not covered by the liability blanket unless you ARE trained in CPR. Why they call it a Good Samaritan law here is beyond me. [rolleyes]

Good for you guys.

In Ohio you are not covered by the liability blanket unless you ARE trained in CPR. Why they call it a Good Samaritan law here is beyond me. [rolleyes]
Sad.

p.s. I keep hearing about the flooding in Ohio. I pray you're high and dry where you are Jose.

Stopping to help

I think most of posters in this thread “get it”, they just seem to prefer to take the high road.

It’s nice to see that there are also “ethically honest and caring” people on this forum as the egocentric “ME” posts are tedious.

jkelly
It would depend where and when and who. Not in the inner city, that`s for sure. On the highway, maybe if no one else was around. To many people are lawsuit happy and to many damn lawyers and liberal judges that love to hand out large payments.

It would depend where and when and who. Not in the inner city, that`s for sure. On the highway, maybe if no one else was around. To many people are lawsuit happy and to many damn lawyers and liberal judges that love to hand out large payments.
See JonJ's post. We're ok here in MA. Sad that you need to pass laws like that to keep a Good Samaratin safe, but that's the world we live in now [thinking]

Well, now that I know MA protects us if we stop to help, I think I'd be more inclined to actually stop and help. Fortunately, the problem has never presented itself to me while driving.

Nothing too earth shattering here...

Ohio Good Samaritan Law

§ 2305.23 Liability for emergency care.

No person shall be liable in civil damages for administering emergency care or treatment at the scene of an emergency outside of a hospital, doctor's office, or other place having proper medical equipment, for acts performed at the scene of such emergency, unless such acts constitute willful or wanton misconduct.

Nothing in this section applies to the administering of such care or treatment where the same is rendered for remuneration, or with the expectation of remuneration, from the recipient of such care or treatment or someone on his behalf. The administering of such care or treatment by one as a part of his duties as a paid member of any organization of law enforcement officers or fire fighters does not cause such to be a rendering for remuneration or expectation of remuneration.

Kudo's Chris.

"There are good people in this world and not-so-good people in this world. Each knows who they are and each acts in accordance to theirs morals and principles - and each reaps the consequences of their actions."

As Ken said..."Life is a risk". The process of situational awareness is no different in stopping to render aid than it is walking into a crowded Stop&Rob.

+1 It is pretty sad... [thinking]

It's sad but a fact. MA has pretty good liability protection for people who stop and help for no fee as well as for people who's job it is to help. The following law protects individuals, but not their employers, whether private or public for liability.

Chapter 111C: Section 21. EMS personnel; good faith performance of duties; limitation on personal liability

Section 21. No EMS personnel certified, accredited or otherwise approved under this chapter, and no additional personnel certified or authorized under section 9, who in the performance of their duties and in good faith render emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, transportation, or other EMS, to an injured person or to a person incapacitated by illness shall be personally liable as a result of rendering such aid or services or, in the case of an emergency medical technician or additional personnel, as a result of transporting such person to a hospital or other health care facility, nor shall they be liable to a hospital for its expenses if, under emergency conditions, they cause the admission of such person to said hospital.

I also want to clarify a bit. I probably should have titled this something like "A reason to think about it before stopping to help" or something similar. I have stopped and will again. I just use some judgment as I'm sure everyone does as well. In some cases, I've actually seen the accident happen in front of me and been the first one to call the MSP. In others, it's pretty obvious that the accident was minor, happened a while ago, and everyone is on their cell phones already. In those cases, I don't stop, unless I'm at work.

Each case is different.

Gary

Better read your state's Good Samaritan law, if you even have one.

I did and that's why I asked to be removed from the responder list at work.

I know plenty about first aid, but I practice it on the people I know will not sue me: my family.

I'm familiar with it. I feel like I'm pretty safe as long as I'm careful and think through what I'm doing.

Maybe I'm cold hearted.

Every Friday I do the I93 drive from Boston to NH during the late afternoon rush. On probably 1-in-4 Fridays, I see a car fly off the road ahead. Half the time it's a driver following too closely who steers into the median - I call 911 and give exact directions and descriptions. Half the time is a jerk weaving in and out of traffic, or running down the shoulder (where it's not open for traffic), - I don't even turn my head as I pass.

If I stopped for the former case, I really think I'd be hit and killed - it's lunatic driving on Fridays. If I stopped for the latter case, I'd probably kneel on the drivers chest while I whispered goodbye in his ear - and might get caught doing so.

Just yesterday, a red Fiat sports car, driver changing lanes left & right in stop & go traffic, cell phone pressed to the ear, hit the gas for an unsignalled lane change, clipped a braking flatbed and spun to the right breakdown lane. Steel bumper on truck scratched at worst, Fiat driver's front quarter destroyed. I felt no urge to help the driver - he was upright, cell phone in hand, still talking, but now with something to talk about.

I've stopped elsewhere under some circumastances.

Back
Top Bottom