A really interesting web site

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
Some of you folks may already know of the web site I am about to list, Forgotten Weapons.com. I find the web site extremely fascinating . The gentleman who narrates the web site finds some extremely rare firearms as well as firearms we all know and love. The most recent video posted on the web site is a Walther 9mm sub machine gun! Very few were built and only two countries purchased them for military and police issue.
Another firearm he offered up was a 1700's black powder so as you can see it's not always new production firearms that he features on his show.

If you already know of this web site then your well aware of the variety of firearms he provides history of, if you never heard of it take a few minutes and check it out.

Check this out from the Fogotten Weapons web site. This is his usual Friday VERY interesting/rare firearms. Martin I bet you don't have one of these, but then I don't have one either.n
I hope you folks enjoy the articles. If you don't let me know and I will stop posting them:

New post on Forgotten Weapons

Furrer M1919 Double-Barrel SMG
by Ian McCollum

We have looked at one of Adolf Furrer's M1919 submachine guns before, but this one is a much different implementation. The model 1919 Furrer designed was basically a chassis for converting a Luger pistol into a carbine. He lengthened the barrel, added a booster to help it cycle, and replace the gripframe with a magazine well for a subgun-type magazine. The one previously featured here was fitted to a wood stock to use as a shoulder weapon, but this one is a double-barrel design intended to be fired from a mount.

Furrer M1919 double barrel subgun
Furrer M1919 double barrel subgun (Photo courtesy National Firearms Centre, Leeds UK)

This example (bearing serial number 1, incidentally) has a very solid mounting point located between the barrels just ahead of the chambers and a pistol grip with detachable shoulder stock. It does not have much in the way of a convenient place to hold the front of the weapon, further suggesting that it was intended to be fired mounted. This type of application in 1919 could have been useful as an observer's gun on an aircraft or mounted to a ground vehicle.

Double barrel M1919 Furrer, rear view with stock removed
Double barrel M1919 Furrer, rear view with stock removed (Photo courtesy National Firearms Centre, Leeds UK)

It uses two curved magazines of unknown capacity (probably 40 rounds, I would guess), and is chambered for the 7.65mm Parabellum cartridge. Where the dingle-barrel shoulder rifle Furrer mounted the Luger action with the toggle to one side, this design has the toggle actions mounted facing downwards. This would probably be a fairly convenient arrangement for controlling ejecting brass, and it also makes the magazines easy accessible atop the weapon.

I have not found much other information about this design - it was not adopted, and probably not manufactured in any significant quantity. Furrer would go on to develop the Swiss LMG-25 a few years later, which was more successful (and also a toggle locking system).

Thanks to the National Firearms Centre in Leeds, we have a whole slew more photos of the gun. I do apologize for the photo quality; these were taken a couple years ago.

Here are a few photos of the magazine specifically:

Ian McCollum | July 31, 2015 at 6:27 am | Tags: Switzerland | Categories: Prototype, SMG | URL: http://wp.me/p1BdBm-4aZ

Go to the web site for pictures, it's incredible.

Back
Top Bottom