A really good reason to wear safety glasses

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Saw this on the One In A Row blog...

It used to be a Browning A-bolt in 300 Winchester magnum.

deadABolt.jpg

Full story here. look for the entry for October 25th, 2005. (there doesn't seem to be a permanent link for that entry)

C-pher said:
The Pic doesn't work. I'll just have to READ the article. Jeesh.

His site must not like me linking to it. I put the pic in my photobucket account, so you should be able to see it now.

No info there to give us a clue WHY this happened. Brownings don't just "disassemble" like this for no good reason.

Please repost info on what happened when it becomes available?

Thanks.

While we're waiting to find out I might ask.

What can cause a bolt-gun like that to "dissasemble" like that?

I think "Hand Grenade" is a better name.

I'm sure a REALLY hot load might do the trick.

What else?

-Weer'd Beard

Squib followed by a normal load, maybe. Or a double charge of powder.

Either way, I'll bet he had to change his underwear. And if he's not, he should be fervently thanking whatever diety he worships.

If the rest of the barrel is in the same condition of what's visible I'd lean towards a double load. There don't appear to be any bulgles in the visible part of the barrel.

It ill be interesting to find out what really happened though.

There doesnt need to be a buldge in the barrel to explode from an obstruction. I've seen two exploded rifles where the obstruction was just past the chamber. Pretty scary. [shock]

From the looks of it I would say it wasn't a barrel problem and was a receiver failure. This can happen from stress fractures in the receiver. Also, if by chance it was a cast receiver, (not sure how Browning does) a sand pocket can cause a weak spot.

I'd like to hear the full story.

Moderator said:
Could incorrect powder do this?

I'm not sure. Nickle probably knows better than I do but, I believe most modern rifle cases are nearly full using a standard load so it would hard to have a double-load. I guess if someone used a much faster burning powder it could happen.

I hope someone posts the reason for this KaBoom as I have a Stainless Stalker A Bolt Browning in .300 Win. Mag. and sure would like to put a reasonable cause on this mess. I do know that you think real hard about pulling the trigger when on the bench as it does recoil a bit. Howver I can say I never felt the recoil when shooting at game. Too much adrenalin I guess.

Bad ju-ju for sure. If you go to the link site, there is a pic (kaboom 2) the ammo tray is on the bench next to the pile of used to be rifle parts, looks like their is ammo other than .300 in the same tray. This could explain it. Just a guess.
DD

Use2b A Gun

If that gold ring on the scope means what I think it does, there is an excellent chance Leupold will do a rebuild under the fantastic warrantee.

Latest post on One In A Row...
More KaBoom
I've been receiving quite a few emails and comments asking for more information about the KaBoom described below. I don't know the cause of the kaboom. I can guess, but that's all it is.....a guess. I did some quick checking on the Vihtavouri website, and IF the powder and charge weights written on the shells are correct it would seem that all of the loads were in the normal "safe" range. That's a big IF, though. It's possible that the reloader mixed up his powders and may have used N160 instead of N560, or something of the sort. I don't know. I wasn't there when the ammo was loaded.

My opinion? I think that is was a SEE - a secondary explosion effect. This is just a guess, though. The crystal ball is cloudy today. I've been told that the rifle is being sent to Browning for analysis. If I get any more info, I'll post it.

Back
Top Bottom