A Rant, if I may....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not taking pizza advice from Missouri or SW Virginia [smile] [wink]
I lived up there for about 7 years. Best pizza I had up there was Family Pizza, or was it called Pizza Today? Dunno. Either way, it was the shiz. It was downtown by the waterfront/across from Electric Boat a bit. Amazing. My fav was the "Mona Lisa" or the "New Yorker"

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Really?
Having a good amount of first hand experience dealing with autism, what he proposed is actually pretty great.

Call and get a time when the shop will be quiet to teach an autistic child how to order is actually a damn good thing - think about the reduction of over stimulation and stress that a quiet shop would bring to everyone.

But it's easier to just get angry that his first priority is actually running a profitable restaurant instead of accommodating an unreasonable parent - asking an autistic child to handle the stress of learning to order food in a loud busy environment is torture.
My guess is that what happened was what I see VERY often in my city, and I think he has a right to be upset. I've seen so many times when social service programs take their clients out into the world to socialize them. Whether its autism or anything else, I've seen a very hands off approach to this by people that are likely minimum wage workers. They do absolutely nothing to support the person, and generally stand there on their cellphone while the client can't function.... and then they pack them back up in a van and off to the next 'activity'. Its bullshit. OP isn't wrong.... his business isn't a training ground... and his solution is more than what you'll likely get from the average business owner.

My gut feeling is that it's very unlikely that a parent would subject themselves or their child to that much stress. I'm betting its program workers. No parent wants to set up their kid to fail.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yep. Really.
Teaching autistic kids to handle real life situations involves putting them in real life situations. In real life you can’t always make an appointment to do everything you’re looking to do such as walking into a pizza shop. Also, if the parents decided that was what was best for their child I think they know a hell of a lot more so than you what is best for their own child. The OP stated that he was frustrated dealing with special needs people because there was a long line of customers forming behind them. Boo-hoo, bitch. You and everyone else will have to deal with waiting. Do you get pissed when someone is trying to navigate the grocery store in a wheelchair and you’re stuck behind them? Notice how he will not post the name of his business so we can see who he is. I’m sure he knows how it would look getting the publicity that he is shitting on autistic people because it’s inconvenient for him and his other customers and he knows better.
Dude. You totally created your own reality out of my post. I never said anything negative about autistic people. My criticism was with the method the parent took. Again, I know getting kids real world experience is important, but you don't teach a kid to ski by tossing his ass down a double black diamond. You ease into things. THAT'S why I spoke to kids parent, and told her that next time she plans on coming by to give me a call, and I can take care of him myself so he doesn't have the pressure of OTHER PEOPLE behind him making comments and faces. FYI the kid STILL comes in here, most times with his mom waiting in the car at this point. He comes in, get's the same thing every time, pays in exact change and gets treated like a rockstar. Save all your BS for someone else.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On another note, I had to take my ServSafe test today to renew the certificate. It's mutiple choice and some of the answers were SO messed up I thought they had to be trick questions. It would be something like:

Which of the following actions is NOT acceptable in a prep area:

A. Making sure all utensils are clean and sanitized.
B. Wearing proper hats and beard nets.
C. Using disposable gloves and proper hand washing techniques
D. Flicking Boogers at your coworkers.

WTF?!?!?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
On another note, I had to take my ServSafe test today to renew the certificate. It's mutiple choice and some of the answers were SO messed up I thought they had to be trick questions. It would be something like:

WTF?!?!?
Quite obviously the answer is B. How can you deliver a proper beat down of a customer when wearing a hairnet and beard net. It would be so hard to take you seriously!
A beard net? WTF? Soup Nazi never wore a hair net Nor should you! 8A15098C-8FB3-4682-A903-28FE358920AD.jpeg

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

WTF?!?!?
The newest repeatable one is employees taking baths in the sink. Search it, omg. [thinking]

Top Bottom