A Rant, if I may....

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Can anyone explain the big deal with 'Frank Pepe's Pizza' (assuming you've tried it)?

There's one opening here sometime this year, and people are already raving about it for some reason.

I Googled them, and quite frankly the pizza looks like charred, hammered dog shit...

View attachment 326462

Plus, who the f*** slices a pizza like this?

View attachment 326465
That looks pretty good to me. I like a thin crust well done. Now I want pizza.

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Can anyone explain the big deal with 'Frank Pepe's Pizza' (assuming you've tried it)?

There's one opening here sometime this year, and people are already raving about it for some reason.

I Googled them, and quite frankly the pizza looks like charred, hammered dog shit...

View attachment 326462

Plus, who the f*** slices a pizza like this?

View attachment 326465
Eh. I’ve had better. It’s a chain now. People will hype it not knowing better.
Local Greek pizza place in my town gets my business. The rest here suck. I’d actually prefer Dominos vs most here.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The rest here suck. I’d actually prefer Dominos vs most here.
I can't understand how you make pizza badly. I've had pizza all over the country, East coast West coast, North and South. Ive had it in Northern Italy and in Sicily. It's all the same, it tastes like pizza. Very rarely do I find a place that seems to go out of its way to make it taste bad, for the most part, pizza is pizza. I've never had one that made me say "wow - this is GREAT pizza", usually it just makes me want another slice.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I can't understand how you make pizza badly. I've had pizza all over the country, East coast West coast, North and South. Ive had it in Northern Italy and in Sicily. It's all the same, it tastes like pizza. Very rarely do I find a place that seems to go out of its way to make it taste bad, for the most part, pizza is pizza. I've never had one that made me say "wow - this is GREAT pizza", usually it just makes me want another slice.
No no no no.

Sauce is important. Needs to have the "right flavor." Can't imagine how many people put flavorless sauces on pizza. Also, cheap cheese or bad cheese combos will make a pizza awful. Personally, I don't want a pizza that smells like old parmesan. I use fresh parm in cooking from time to time and like it. I have no idea what parmesan these places use but it smells like dirty feet. And then quality toppings. I love pepperoni but the cheapest types are too greasy. And "canned" veggies like mushrooms or peppers etc are crap. I used to love eating mushroom, peppers and onions. Of course, good sausage and/or bacon is also a good topping. Basically - garbage in, garbage out.

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No no no no.

Sauce is important. Needs to have the "right flavor."
The crust is important too, and from what I've heard, the taste of the crust is dependent on the water used in it. I think you'd have to truck in the water to get consistent flavor among locations.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The crust is important too, and from what I've heard, the taste of the crust is dependent on the water used in it. I think you'd have to truck in the water to get consistent flavor among locations.
oh yes! the crust too.

We no longer eat wheat/grains so we use a premade cauliflower crust. it's actually not bad but no where near the same as a bread crust.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The water is huge in the crust. I had a customer in Lawrence that made and sold dough to all the local pizza shops. He told me that his son lived in Vegas, and opened a pizza shop. Dad would send him truck loads of frozen dough, and it made him very successful.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
scientific studies show it to be false. Water has no effect.

Giventhe margins on pizza, every idiot just decidesto make it and sell it.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No no no no.

Sauce is important. Needs to have the "right flavor." Can't imagine how many people put flavorless sauces on pizza. Also, cheap cheese or bad cheese combos will make a pizza awful. Personally, I don't want a pizza that smells like old parmesan. I use fresh parm in cooking from time to time and like it. I have no idea what parmesan these places use but it smells like dirty feet. And then quality toppings. I love pepperoni but the cheapest types are too greasy. And "canned" veggies like mushrooms or peppers etc are crap. I used to love eating mushroom, peppers and onions. Of course, good sausage and/or bacon is also a good topping. Basically - garbage in, garbage out.
It's a simple mix. Ingredients, proper heat, careful time. Screw with any of those at your own peril.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
oh yes! the crust too.

We no longer eat wheat/grains so we use a premade cauliflower crust. it's actually not bad but no where near the same as a bread crust.
I have had some success with a good arrowroot crust and rice flour. Rice flour, with almond in it turned out awesome and was waaaay cheaper than any premade mix I've found.

Caution on the cauliflower mixes. I have seen several with soy in them. (not just soy lectin. Soy lectin is ok, but anything more is baaaaad. )

jct61765

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is really any bad pizza, Ive never thrown one away. I remember getting pizza slices at anne and hope in danvers when I was a kid. Wasn't the best, but not bad. I remember going to the pizza ragina when I was a kid. There was sawdust on the floor. They had 2 kinds of pizza, cheese and pepperoni. That was good pizza.

scatter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
OK I'll just say it. To all you aficionados.

I live in the mountains of SW Virginia. Not the premier place for pizza granted.

The only place for pizza within 30 miles of us is the local grocery, serving Hunt Brothers. And I like it, and their wings, and it's as good or better than any other take out place I've known. And I've lived in lots of places and ordered lots of pizza.

But you got to get the double cheese, which costs extra. All other toppings, as many as you want, are free.

Flame on mis amigos.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have had some success with a good arrowroot crust and rice flour. Rice flour, with almond in it turned out awesome and was waaaay cheaper than any premade mix I've found.

Caution on the cauliflower mixes. I have seen several with soy in them. (not just soy lectin. Soy lectin is ok, but anything more is baaaaad. )
I don't eat arrowroot or any type of rice product. And ZERO soy products. I don't use a mix but an actual frozen crust made from cauliflower.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No no no no.

Most places don't use Parmesan at all...they use Romano.

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
OK I'm off for the rest of the week and NOW I want pizza, nice chessey, crusty, GDAMNED pizza. Not slimy oily Greek pizza. Where to go locally to Salem Peabody Danvers.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Lol you've never been subjected to St. Louis IMOS cracker crust then. Take a stale saltine and squirt ketchup on it, then top it with really bad cheese and overcooked crappy pepperoni. BAM, you got IMOS pizza.

If thats not bad enough, they cut the whole pie into like, 2" squares. Its like someone had 100 extra lunchables snacks that were a year out of date, and then they made a pizza out of it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK I'll just say it. To all you aficionados.

I live in the mountains of SW Virginia. Not the premier place for pizza granted.

The only place for pizza within 30 miles of us is the local grocery, serving Hunt Brothers. And I like it, and their wings, and it's as good or better than any other take out place I've known. And I've lived in lots of places and ordered lots of pizza.

But you got to get the double cheese, which costs extra. All other toppings, as many as you want, are free.

Flame on mis amigos.
Dooood, I love Hunt brothers pizza, and it IS good. We have it here in Missouri. We also have Caseys. We call it crack pizza. Its so simple, but so so good. I really think theres drugs in it.

People think I'm crazy when I say the best pizza around is from a gas stations.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where to go locally to Salem Peabody Danvers.
If you like thin crust, Sam and Joe's in Danvers is the place. Not cheap but consistently great!

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If you like thin crust, Sam and Joe's in Danvers is the place. Not cheap but consistently great!

Be warned they're pretty small.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't think there is really any bad pizza, Ive never thrown one away. I remember getting pizza slices at anne and hope in danvers when I was a kid. Wasn't the best, but not bad. I remember going to the pizza ragina when I was a kid. There was sawdust on the floor. They had 2 kinds of pizza, cheese and pepperoni. That was good pizza.

pizza's like sex, even when it's bad - it's okay.

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Been to Sam&Joes many times I agree it's good expensive and small , it's on the same scale as Bertini's in Salem And I've done take out from both, I'm looking more for a non Reastautant Take-out Pizzaria. Someplace that manly specializes in their PIE.

Artie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
pizza's like sex, even when it's bad - it's okay.
I agree, I like all kinds of pizza. My mood dictates the pizza I get, even the little welfare pizzas I make with English muffins, Ragu and American cheese at 2:30am.
With that said, I have always wondered what the difference is between pasta sauce and pizza sauce. I have even Google it and about all I can find is that pizza sauce is less sweet and has fennel?

Welcome back @Boston_Shooter

Top Bottom