• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A.R.M.S SIR system 50M CV

Hey.......

I was wondering if any of you have experience with this rail or any SIR rail system? I had Bushmaster install one on my new upper and I am have a heck of a time with it.
1. I can't get the bottom half of the rail off. I tried turning the screws next to the lock symbols on the upper portion of the rail, but it won't budge.
2. The bottom rail won't come off. It has spring loaded screws, but when i push in and turn them, they just turn. I can't get tight or get the rail off. [thinking]

ARMS doesn't have any user manuals on their site and Bushy didn't include any. I've done a search on AR-15.com, but it looks like A.R.M.S SIR systems are not popular.[rolleyes] Any info or suggestions would be great.

Thanks N_O

Hey.......

I was wondering if any of you have experience with this rail or any SIR rail system? I had Bushmaster install one on my new upper and I am have a heck of a time with it.
1. I can't get the bottom half of the rail off. I tried turning the screws next to the lock symbols on the upper portion of the rail, but it won't budge.
2. The bottom rail won't come off. It has spring loaded screws, but when i push in and turn them, they just turn. I can't get tight or get the rail off. [thinking]

ARMS doesn't have any user manuals on their site and Bushy didn't include any. I've done a search on AR-15.com, but it looks like A.R.M.S SIR systems are not popular.[rolleyes] Any info or suggestions would be great.

Thanks N_O

Well, there's good news and bad news...actually it seems like there's bad news. I have absolutely zero experience with the ARMS SIR system, but it seems to be getting poor reviews in the AR-15 community. I read recently a post over at www.m4carbine.net that was not too favorable toward the rail system. I just did a search over there, but could not find it. It may have been mixed in with a LaRue Tactical gear pots, but I honestly can't remember. In any case, it may be worth your while to drop in there, join up and post the question. There are some actual operators on that site that may be able to help you further....

Thanks for the linky and the bad news about the reviews. I had also heard bad stuff about the SIR systems, but decided to take a chance. Actually, with the exception of not coming with instructions on how to work the darn thing, I'm really pleased with it! The thing is solid as a rock, matches up to my flat top perfectly, and has great "fit/finish".

Although I'm not using it as hard as some of the LE and Military users do.

Thanks again... N_O

Thanks for the linky and the bad news about the reviews. I had also heard bad stuff about the SIR systems, but decided to take a chance. Actually, with the exception of not coming with instructions on how to work the darn thing, I'm really pleased with it! The thing is solid as a rock, matches up to my flat top perfectly, and has great "fit/finish".

Although I'm not using it as hard as some of the LE and Military users do.

Thanks again... N_O

Well and that's just it...If it fits and works, then to heck with the nay sayers. Look, there are more than a few "elitists" floating around the WWW. I am not one of them - I go for what works. I don't need a 300.00 tactical knife, when my $35.00 Gerber is awesome. Likewise, I don't deny folks the right to spend their dough on high end chit that may be unecessary to me personally.

Defense Review had a good write-up on the SIR see, (say that 3 times fast). ARMS being a Massachusetts company and all, my be receptive to your call. Personally, I have been less and less impressed with their products - my ARMS throwlever mount for my Tripower was a total dud, (went LaRue and never looked back), but they are still in business for a reason - they do make some good stuff.

It's funny with the ARMS vs LaRue battles. LaRue rocks and I wish I had more than just the EO-Tech mount for the AR. I have the ARMS 22M68 CCO on the FAL and have had zero problems with it. I also picked up the cantilever extension for the mount to put the Aimpoint on the AR if needed. ARMS biggest problem seems to be the lever design. I don't beat the rifles up as bad as the combat guys do so I don't see the problems with the ARMS stuff.

Too bad you didn't live closer to West Bridgewater - they might have been able to help you. It sounds like the SIR was put on with the intention of the end user not being able to get it off.

Joe R.

ARMS mounts are some of the best gear out there! If you have any problems come in and see us we can explain it to you.
Thanks!
Jim
Zero Hour Arms

Well.... Here's the deal. While waiting for the Tech guy to arrive, I figured out how to get the bottom half of the rail off. Two screws on the forward rails were not undone. But it turns out after talking to the Tech guy, the reason I can't get the bottom rail off is due to bad sonic welds in the screw housing(Basically came out of the bottom rail and were spinning).[thinking]

The tech said A.R.M.S would send another lower rail at no charge! [grin] There customer support is really good(At least compared to some others).

Yeah..... I understand about the gear/product "wars", and some times it ruins a really good thread!

Anywho... Thanks for the advice & link. That m4carbine site is cool.

N_O

Yeah, it can get pretty crazy out there. In my case, I had some ARMS rings and loved them, (still do), so naturally I bought an ARMS throwlever for my Tripower. After you see your $500.00 electronic sight "pop-off" while you're firing it, (not once, but twice), it can rattle you. At first I thought it was the rail itself, but it was not. I gave it to a McGuyver- type buddy of mine to tinker with and after he claimed he fixed it, he kerplunked his CompM2 onto the ground at the range. I'm pretty sure he melted it down at Vicon.

When I decided to buy a mount from Mark LaRue, it was after much research. When I took the plunge, what I received was perhaps one of the most well-thought out and well-engineered scope mounts I have ever seen. This, coupled with the fact that he tossed in extras like a hat, gun lube and this neat little armadillo multi tool - on top of including tools and detailed instructions for the mount, makes LaRue Tactical a cut above ARMS in my book and makes Mark LaRue, (who answers his phone by the way) a class act.

No flame war, no "ARMS Sucks" threads - nothing. I said it before and I'll say it again - ARMS makes some fine products - I own two of them. However, it's my opinion that their production process and build quality is not what it once was. Pick up anything from La Rue Tactical or a Troy BUIS and you will see exactly what I mean. Sometimes a company grows and quality somehow may not always grow with it along the product line....Again, my opinion - YMMV.

Larue & Troy are both names people always talk highly of. In fact, I've never heard any bad stuff about either. Except for the rear take down pin(Really hard to get in/out), my Bushy is just as "high quality" as Colts I've had!

I am just getting back into the AR-15 ownership thing. Everything is new & improved! When I was in the Army only the Special Ops dudes where using optics and such. Now its standard issue. And that has flowed into the SD area and the AR-15.

I feel like a "retarded ape" trying to set up my Eotech 553![smile]

If you're using a flat-top receiver for mounting the EO-Tech, pay attention to how it "feels" when looking thru it. I'm a larger boy and the EO-Tech on the flat-top cause me to have to crunch down to look thru the sight. I fixed that with a Larue EO-Tech mount and the world is right.

Joe R.

If you're using a flat-top receiver for mounting the EO-Tech, pay attention to how it "feels" when looking thru it. I'm a larger boy and the EO-Tech on the flat-top cause me to have to crunch down to look thru the sight. I fixed that with a Larue EO-Tech mount and the world is right.

Joe R.

Yeah, besides falling off my SOCOM-16, I didn't like the lowness either. The LT-150 solved that problem....

Thanks for the tips on my Eotech. I may have to buy one of those "risers" for it. Until my new gunclub membership goes through, I won't be able to zero the carbine or the Eotech[sad].

When I ordered my Bushy upper, they told me that the Trijicon front sight post would not fit/work with the A.R.M.S 40L SP rear BUIS I ordered. After further clarification, they said that the Trijicon FSP is shorter than the standard A2 FSP, although it may work depending on how "far up" you need it to be in order to zero it[rolleyes]. So I installed a Trijicon FSP and it indeed is shorter, although I think it will work.

Right now, I have the Eothech co-witnessed with my back up sights(Using shooting eye). If I use both eyes(As I understand the Eothech should be used), the Eothech reticle is in the upper left corner of my Eothech window. I suppose this means I will need a riser for the Eothech, but it seems I will not be able to co-witness the two with the BUIS sites that much lower[sad].

Back
Top Bottom