A quick comparison of different bullets/ammo

mac1911

NES Member
Not the best day to go test loads but was only time I had. steady rain gusty winds
I took my AR varmint build out. 223 wylde chambered wilson match barrel 1/8 twist with matched bolt. 1985 vintage VXIII and remaining parts scavenged from on hand supply. Raining windy day, 100 yards slow fire total of 28 rounds. 2 Amax loads where used to control a pesky orange varmint
75 gn amax.jpg 8 rounds 75gn hornady Amax with varget powder
69gn ppu.jpg 10 rounds 69gn PPU "match" bullets with varget powder
wolf sp.jpg 10 rounds 55gn soft point wolf clasic...... just for HaHa..... I have never had wolf steel case or any steel case ammo that did well but did "hope" it would do better than this....

Last edited:
Here is another random Test lot I did with TAC powder. Not as well as I hoped for some but I just loaded up 5 of each bullet I had on hand.115_4002.jpg

TAC.jpg
The hornady 55 grain FMJ surprise me at how well with some powders they shoot. I also get 1moa ish groups with H-55fmj and W844 surplus powder.

Last edited:
I have not done any serious testing yet. I just tossed these loads together after I loaded up a test batch of AR Comp. Although I tested under some horrible conditions again.

Im just looking for alternative powders more so for my Rifle I use in NRA service rifle. So Im not looking for super tight sub moa per say just a good consistent 1moa load in a few options of powder. Varget still seems hard to come by in any quantity or consistency as with RL15

I have not done any serious testing yet. I just tossed these loads together after I loaded up a test batch of AR Comp. Although I tested under some horrible conditions again.

Im just looking for alternative powders more so for my Rifle I use in NRA service rifle. So Im not looking for super tight sub moa per say just a good consistent 1moa load in a few options of powder. Varget still seems hard to come by in any quantity or consistency as with RL15
If you can't find Varget, I wouldn't worry about it. It was about 15 years ago when the heavy .223 bullets really came on. For some reason Varget got a lot of press for being the heavy-bullet powder. It works well, don't get me wrong, but it's not the only thing out there. RE15 is as good, if not a better powder.
Load them hot.

EDIT- did you mean you can't find either powder?

&
8208 are also equally good.

Last edited:
If you can't find Varget, I wouldn't worry about it. It was about 15 years ago when the heavy .223 bullets really came on. For some reason Varget got a lot of press for being the heavy-bullet powder. It works well, don't get me wrong, but it's not the only thing out there. RE15 is as good, if not a better powder.
Load them hot.

EDIT- did you mean you can't find either powder?

&
8208 are also equally good.

I'm having a hard time the common powders locally in volume and the prices are not great.
Still can't find powder in volume from vendors to offset hazmat and shipping.

I have enough varget and H4895 to load what I need to for the few matches I will get to this year.
Just trying to widen my choices.

Last 8lb jug of varget or H4895 I found locally where 269$/8# and 249$/8# little high in my mind.

Last edited:
yeah, that's way too high. You can get it for under $200 shipped to your door. I usually buy primers at the same time while I'm getting dinged for a hazmat fee anyways.

yeah, that's way too high. You can get it for under $200 shipped to your door. I usually buy primers at the same time while I'm getting dinged for a hazmat fee anyways.

True but I got more primers than I can possible shoot! Used to run a little group buy but the lack of powder in 8lb jugs at the vendors is putting a wrench in the gears for orders.
Still restrictions on the few vendors .

Anyhow post was more of ...... you never know what to expect until you put loads down range.
Wolf is not a choice for me when trying to shoot for score but I was a bit taken back how poorly this,batch did. I have some silver bear that I will play with next.
Right now I have 3 powders that will shoot 1moa or better with 77gn Nosler CC and hornady match from my service rifle. Which is great for me as I'm happy to keep them in the black once I shoot from positions.
I hope to top my last score at reading in a few weeks. Last time out I scored 761/800

Last edited:
Definitely shoot the good stuff at 300 and 600 yds (Hornady, Nosler, Sierra).

I'll shoot almost anything offhand. As long as it will hold the 10-ring, it's automatically better than I can hold the rifle. I'll try to use good stuff for sitting, too, just because it's a confidence boost to see a small knot through your scope when the target comes back up.

ALSO: Beware of mixing different makers' bullets when testing/shooting for score. Sometimes the jacket material is different and you won't get stellar accuracy until the new bullet "takes over" the barrel.
No way to know which works with which except with experimentation.

Last edited:
Definitely shoot the good stuff at 300 and 600 yds (Hornady, Nosler, Sierra).

I'll shoot almost anything offhand. As long as it will hold the 10-ring, it's automatically better than I can hold the rifle. I'll try to use good stuff for sitting, too, just because it's a confidence boost to see a small knot through your scope when the target comes back up.

ALSO: Beware of mixing different makers' bullets when testing/shooting for score. Sometimes the jacket material is different and you won't get stellar accuracy until the new bullet "takes over" the barrel.
No way to know which works with which except with experimentation.

I shoot the same load across the board any advantage be it real or in my head is a plus. I only get to shoot XTC 2 to 3 times a year.

Right now I'm just using the wolf small rifle primers that they say are hotter for 5.56
Brass colored vs the regular wolf SR silver color I have.

There is no rhyme or reason to this post. Just random test lots of ammo and reloads.

I have a bunch of random old 762x39 I will be testing soon out of my sks. I was hoping to find a box or 2 of some lapua x39 I had when I had the mini mauser. No luck yet.

Last edited:
just another little trial 30-06 from a 1904A4 reproduction

snuck out the other night with the A4 clone it was a bit dark for my old eyes and this little 2.5x 3/4" tube replica scope of the M73
load was my generic "match" load using PPU brand 168gn match FMJHP BT 45.5 grains Varget or H4895 either delivers pretty good accuracy out of my 30-06 rifles. They might do better with a better platform and definately with a better scope.

first five rounds once I rezeroed the scope. I dont remeber changing the settings last out but it was off a bit, plus this is a new rifle so the stock might have settled or affected by the weather changes since I last shot it in 2013!

once I zeroed to my likes took 8 shots I shot the first 2 targets with my generick reload---- this load seems to work well in all my rifles for 30-06.
100 yards sun setting lighting was not so good.... shots where fired about 1 minute apart from 7pm to aprox 750pm 1st group 2.jpg
2nd group
target1.jpg

last group with HXP 1968
target 3 HXP.jpg

A ~1.5" group is pretty good. My dad's Winchester 7mm Rem Mag will do about the same, and its barrel is almost like new. Good enough to take a couple caribou and elk. I think your 1904A4 clone has its original intended purpose covered.

I'm assuming that's software that is giving you that target info...if so, what is it you're using? It intrigues me. I've always done it with excel but if it works the way I think it does, it would be much easier than the way I do it.

EDIT: never mind...I saw the name of it in the lower left corner of the picture. I'll have to check it out.

I'm assuming that's software that is giving you that target info...if so, what is it you're using? It intrigues me. I've always done it with excel but if it works the way I think it does, it would be much easier than the way I do it.

EDIT: never mind...I saw the name of it in the lower left corner of the picture. I'll have to check it out.

I use the free old version. I have been looking at some more updated stuff but for what I like to use it for its about as advanced as I need it to be. Only thing I can say with the on target free version is you have to make sure you input a reference with the reference tool.
Basically you click the reference tool and plot a known point on the target.
I use the x ring which is 1.35" from white line to white line.

some more test some factory some cas reloadst some FMJ reloads....fun today

First the M193 test. I decided to show a range friend some differences in the M193 fodder out there. I only had 6 rounds of Wolf Mil Classic left so they are 6 shot groups shot in round robin at a 6" black bull aiming center mass. RRA 20" A2 with 1/9 twist NATO barrel Iron sights. Gun was rough zeroed @ 25yard/100 yard zero or aprox 1.5" low vs point of aim @ 25 yards with the PPU 193. I then just held center of bull and shot for groups. If I dialed it a little all ammo would find the 10 ring.

First is AE M193 "tactical" bought this stuff back in 2009 or so. its ok functions but even in a nice barrel it doesnt get much better.
AE M193.jpg

PPU I bought this stuff while back also picked up all I could afford when it was 24 cents per round. shoots pretty good and I have snuck in some sub 2" groups with it with my match barrel
PPU m193.jpg

Then the wolf mil classic.... this stuff is always unpredictable and shot absolutely horrible in my match barrel better here
Wolf Mil Classic.jpg

All in all it was good across the board for the RRA A2 and some M193.

M44 carbine 7.62x54r Test
I did some cast loads lets just say it didnt do well. might try again ?
54r FMJ
russian spam can surplus 50 yards about as good as I suspected
54r surplus.jpg

Best grouping reloads 150 grain .312" hornady with 46 grains varget. little stout not much fun and not worth shooting at the cost of the bullets.
I had 4 other loads and they where not worthy of a pic.

54r reloads.jpg

1903A3 next.... Finally found some decent cast loads for my A3

150 grain flat nose cast with 16 grains of 2400... not to shabby and did better than my "universal" match load. with 150 HPBT match.
A3 150gn flat nose.jpg

then a bit more ummpphh 200gn 314299 lyman with 30 grains varget. Nice shooting round got some kick but no bite!
A3 200gn cast.jpg

My first few sessions with cast loads didnt do so well with the A3. finally something good. There where a few others. I have a real powder puff load using Trailboss good for about 2" groups at 50 yards. Gallery Load. great for 2 liter bottles and such....sill soft. The bullet hitting the paper is loader than the report
now the fun part zeroing the sights to hit the X

Last edited:
30 carbine

Finally got around to trying out some more load in the M1 carbine.

14.5 grains W296, assorted cases and hornady 110 fmj , 100 yards from rest center hold 15 rounds. This was the best of 3 groups but all 3 had a decent cluster and with in the 10 ring. Could never do this with any of the factory ammo I have tried. AGULIA will hold the black
RELOADS target is upside down
Agulia from cmp

Last edited:
Anyone looked at accuracy wrt CFE223 using 55gr projectiles? Shooting supply was out of Varget so I bought a couple pounds. I shot few yesterday functionally they are good to go but I didn't have a scoped AR with me so I'm not sure how they performed past 25yds.

Anyone looked at accuracy wrt CFE223 using 55gr projectiles? Shooting supply was out of Varget so I bought a couple pounds. I shot few yesterday functionally they are good to go but I didn't have a scoped AR with me so I'm not sure how they performed past 25yds.

I did a quick run using hornady 55 gnome FMJ... so far not to impressed vs H335,target and aH4895,
I didn't run them to fast though , seems to be what the 55s like in my rifles.

I did a quick run using hornady 55 gnome FMJ... so far not to impressed vs H335,target and aH4895,
I didn't run them to fast though , seems to be what the 55s like in my rifles.

thanks, i'll report back if i get to do a side by side at 100yds

Not reloads but ordered some pellets with my Amazon reward points to go with my recent cmp purchase.
50 feet from the rest. Variety of pellets not to bad for a 100$ used pellet gun. 5 shot groups. Was going to do 10 but fingers got cold and loading .177 pellets with numb fingers doesn't work.

Shot for groups not impact on target.

20160131_123921.jpg
I know its only pellet gun shooting but its all I got to do. range time is very limited for me so make do with back yard pelgun'n
Received some new pellets yesterday for my CMP daisy 853 and some 22 cal for my other pelguns.
Pellets can make many air rifles shine or puke.

TODAY:
Benjiman Discovery 22cal with Hawke airmax 4x12 map 6ret scope velocity ranges from 800fps to high 8s down to 1300psi on the air tank. the consistent shots are from 1800-1450psi I get about 12-18 prime shots in this range.
Shot from my deck with a bipod off the rails aprox 65 yards

Group 5 shots moving counter clock wise
1. actually the last group of the day with a known good pellet for this rifle
JSB 14.3 grain match heavy im pissed I used the wrong hold over on the last 2 shots this would have been a very nice group.
2. JSB 15.8 grain match heavy---I dropped the last 2 shots trying to load it. gave up on those, not looking good anyway
3. predator hunters 16 grain these usually do better ? gave up after three shots
4. JSB 13.7 grain semi wad cutters fail as I figured they would
5. JSB 18 grain match heavy jumbo these usually do well but this is a new tin? I actually could see the pellets tumbling through the scope?
I didn't inspect or sort the pellets just grabbed 5 of each out of the tin.
sorting and inspecting and weighing will always yield better results from my Discovery.

next is testing them with my 25 yard 1400 pumper....

Last edited:
Some range fun

So I wanted to try some reloader 15 powder and a few bullets.
Shot prone 100 yards off bipod aimed at 2nd red dot down and from Left to right
22,23,24 grain loads with Nosler 77 custom cmp.
23 grains with 75 A max I think these where blowing apart could only account for 2 on paper? 24 gn 77 CC didn't do well either.
23 grains with a 60 grain Nosler Varmintgedon flat base....these are nice bullets and give me solid groups with every powder I have tried so far.

Best group of the day...
4 shots in the group and I called the high shot.

Got to shoot some cast loads and 22s also.

Last edited:
Yesterday after a dismal day on the 600 I was able to find time to test some more 22lr out of the 513t
100 yards from the bench.

Been trying loads for the K31 7.5x55swiss
155gn nosler custom comp , wolf LR , PPU case
Tried IMR 4064 just did not get any decent results. This was my best group 45 grains.

Moved on to H4895 the lower end charges although soft on recoil didn't do well down range. Upper mid range did the best.
Same bullet,primer,case just different powder 45 grains of H4895 much better... I was hoping for a lesser charge to be accurate to reduce recoil a bit.

I did my best on another target with the last 10 shots of this load.
Held a little low and left and scored a 98 2x.... I could not wait for the next cold range call to retrieve my target...nice little cluster at 3 o'clock with 2 in the 9 ring.... this is what reloading does to make things fun.

Last edited:
30 carbine

Finally got around to trying out some more load in the M1 carbine.

14.5 grains W296, assorted cases and hornady 110 fmj , 100 yards from rest center hold 15 rounds. This was the best of 3 groups but all 3 had a decent cluster and with in the 10 ring. Could never do this with any of the factory ammo I have tried. AGULIA will hold the black
RELOADS target is upside down
Agulia from cmp
Damn that's good shootin with the carbine! I'll have to put mine on paper again. Last time I did (just off a sandbag), my groups were significantly larger! I'm also using the same load with the same bullets.

Been trying loads for the K31 7.5x55swiss
155gn nosler custom comp , wolf LR , PPU case
Tried IMR 4064 just did not get any decent results. This was my best group 45 grains.

Moved on to H4895 the lower end charges although soft on recoil didn't do well down range. Upper mid range did the best.
Same bullet,primer,case just different powder 45 grains of H4895 much better... I was hoping for a lesser charge to be accurate to reduce recoil a bit.

I did my best on another target with the last 10 shots of this load.
Held a little low and left and scored a 98 2x.... I could not wait for the next cold range call to retrieve my target...nice little cluster at 3 o'clock with 2 in the 9 ring.... this is what reloading does to make things fun.
Interesting you didn't have much luck with 4064. 43.9 grains with the 168's worked very well for me - granted I have a scope on my K31. I think I was getting less than half inch groups at 100.

Back
Top Bottom