A question on transfers

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
I think I'm pretty up on the laws, and I think I know the answer, but I still want to hear what others think since I've never run into this before.
I live in NH and do NOT have a MA LTC.
My son lives in MA and has a MA LTC.
I want to give my son a handgun as a gift
Can he come to NH and with me bring it to a dealer in MA, who can them do the transfer?
I can't legally possess it in MA, but he can bring it to the dealer. And with me there as the owner but not possessor, the dealer can transfer it to him. Right?

I may be wrong,but I though all handguns transfers from State to State must be done threw an FFL.

OP the answer is yes. You need only an ID to transfer a gun to the Mass FFL, and then the FFL can transfer to your son. All legal!

I may be wrong,but I though all handguns transfers from State to State must be done threw an FFL.
Where I say dealer I'm saying FFL Dealer.
The step I want to eliminate is me having a NH dealer ship it to a MA dealer.
We've done it the other way around, he's brought a gun to NH and we had a NH dealer transfer it to me. This was simple because we could both posses a gun in NH, no stupid laws. But in the other direction I can't "posses" a gun in MA.

OP the answer is yes. You need only an ID to transfer a gun to the Mass FFL, and then the FFL can transfer to your son. All legal!
This is what I though, just wanted some reinforcement. My son is going to be very happy.

your son could bring the gun from NH to a MA FFL for transfer, just go with him.

no shipping required

any handgun purchase must be completed in the buyers home state.

remember you can legally loan a handgun across a state line for sporting purposes, but not for CCW.

Just make sure it does not have any evil features.

Now to complicate the question, if the gun was not on the MA list, could the FFL just transfer the frame with Dad gifting the slide assy to the son later on?

There are a couple of posts in this thread about whether the list applies or not, but I think the relevant point is call the FFL in advance, and tell him exactly what you want to do. He'll tell you whether he will do it, and if he has additional questions, he can ask them before you make the drive. That makes everyone's lives easier.

And if the FFL tells you he can't do it because it is illegal, you can make your own decision about whether to call another FFL and ask the same question. Keep in mind that "it's illegal" means that that is his best understanding of what his lawyer told him. Whether every lawyer agrees is a different question.

your son could bring the gun from NH to a MA FFL for transfer, just go with him.

no shipping required

any handgun purchase must be completed in the buyers home state.

remember you can legally loan a handgun across a state line for sporting purposes, but not for CCW.

Just make sure it does not have any evil features.

Now to complicate the question, if the gun was not on the MA list, could the FFL just transfer the frame with Dad gifting the slide assy to the son later on?
This. I’ve bought a few pistols from NESers in NH and just met at a MA dealer for the transfer.

Does that list apply to new or used?

Same kind of scenario, but different.

Brother in law lives in Georgia.
Brother in law bought a CZ 97 back in dec/jan
Brother in law sells it to me.
Told him to hold it for me.

Does he send it up here by way of ffl?
Or can I just drive back here with it this summer and register by way of the portal?

Does that list apply to new or used?

Same kind of scenario, but different.

Brother in law lives in Georgia.
Brother in law bought a CZ 97 back in dec/jan
Brother in law sells it to me.
Told him to hold it for me.

Does he send it up here by way of ffl?
Or can I just drive back here with it this summer and register by way of the portal?
The list applies to Dealers in MA, any firearm that passes through their hands, regardless of whether its a new/used sale or a transfer.

All interstate handgun transfers/sales must go through a Dealer in the home state of the recipient.

Your BIL can ship it to a local FFL legally. BUT many FFLs will only accept a firearm shipped from another FFL. This is a business decision, not a law. Check with the FFL first.

To follow up on this thread, I have a question. If I hand carry a handgun to a NH FFL so that I can sell it to a NH resident, will the NH FFL give me a copy of an FA-10 for my records to prove that I no longer own the gun? Or, is there a way for me to do my own FA-10 for this out of state transfer to the out of state FFL?

To follow up on this thread, I have a question. If I hand carry a handgun to a NH FFL so that I can sell it to a NH resident, will the NH FFL give me a copy of an FA-10 for my records to prove that I no longer own the gun? Or, is there a way for me to do my own FA-10 for this out of state transfer to the out of state FFL?
What @boilermaker said. FA-10 is a MA thing so you'll never see a NH dealer doing anything with them.

I sold 3 guns to an FFL in MA this year, they don't do FA-10s. I have the FFL's receipt and can staple it to my FA-10 from when I purchased it. That's sufficient proof, period.

Back
Top Bottom