• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A question for the group

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I got the following question on my website, and I'm stumped, so I figured I'd post it here and see if anybody has some insight. Keep in mind that this is not my rifle, so I can't answer anything beyond what's indicated here, but the guy seems to know what he's talking about, so I'm inclined to take him at his word:

I have a Rem 700 in 7mm RUM; been using the same load for about three years(same powder, same primer, same bullets, same make brass...everything is the same).

I clean my rifle regularly but recently I "Super cleaned" it removing all copper and anything in the barrel. Now I am getting some extreme pressure signs that I never had before i.e. blowing primers, cratering and flattening the head stamps out.

There have been three changes to the way I do my handloads in the last three years, now have a sonic cleaner, use a bronze brush on the inside of the neck and the super cleaning of the rifle.

I do not understand why all of a sudden I am seeing this pressure. load is : 7mm RUM, 150 gr Swift Scirocco II, 102.6 gr of US 869 powder with Federal 215M primers. Currently shooting below 1/2 MOA with this load.

Any thoughts would be grateful!

ETA: I can think of a couple of possible causes:

1. The "super cleaning" removed residue in the shoulder area of the chamber and it's not excessive pressure but excessive headspace that's causing the "pressure signs". If this is the case, there will be a difference in the case head-to-shoulder measurement of his reloads before and after firing.

2. The bore is rough, and the super cleaning exposed some roughness that's now interfering with the bullet as it travels down the barrel. If this is the case, his pressure signs will go away after 50 or so rounds.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer except to say, basic troubleshooting is go back to what you last did. He "super cleaned' What ever that is and since has had issues. I would guess he put something back together wrong or somehow altered a tolerance that is now causing him issues.
its an odd ball load but the best test would be to try it in a different gun, i bet it works fine.
Sometimes cleaning when done improperly can make things worse.

I asked him about that. It's a bolt gun and the disassembly was limited to removing the bolt. Since the rifle fired and he's still alive, I assume he got it back in right.

His "super cleaning" involved removing the coper from the barrel.

I asked him about that. It's a bolt gun and the disassembly was limited to removing the bolt. Since the rifle fired and he's still alive, I assume he got it back in right.

His "super cleaning" involved removing the copper from the barrel.
Maybe some of the fouling is still in the barrel causing more pressure. i would clean it again. it doesn't take much to make the bullet require more pressure to go through the rifling. If he was on the edge of pressures prior to cleaning it and he made it worse instead of better it could be causing him issues.

Im not to sure but is not 7mm RUM known to burn out barrels rather quickly ?
He doesnt specify if hes bought any new powder in 3 years, lot numbers of powders or primers. Nosler load data puts US869 it at a compressed load? seems like just a slight change can change things quickly?

Check if he is using the same lot of reloads or if this is a new batch. If it's a new batch is he using a new lot/box of any of components? also re-check everything - shoulder setback with sizer (unless he is neck sizing only) powder weights on another scale, oal of rounds etc.

ive gotten sloppy in the past and had sizer and seater dies come loose and back out, failing electronic scales, etc. I now check tightness and weigh a particular check weigh as part of every loading session

2. The bore is rough, and the super cleaning exposed some roughness that's now interfering with the bullet as it travels down the barrel. If this is the case, his pressure signs will go away after 50 or so rounds.

this was my first thought

Pressure drops quickly after no more than 2" down the bore, so rough bore should have almost no effect.
First, he should take the rifle to a gunsmith for inspection and second he should back down the load and re-work it.
If he is using the SAME lot of powder, the SAME lot of primers, the SAME lot of bullets, and the SAME cases, the SAME COL, and he has verified he is using the SAME charge weight, then it "should" be a rifle problem. First place to look would be the throat/lede for wear and damage and then run a go/no go gage in the chamber.
Too many times someone thinks they only made one change when they really made several changes.
A new lot of powder or a new lot of bullets (companies make changes and don't announce anything) can make a rather large difference, particularly if you are already running a hot load (and who runs 7mm RUM light?).

Sounds like a headspace problem, magnum cartridges behave badly when the boltface is untrue sometimes caused by over zealous cleaning of the boltface.

Could the brass be stretched too much? If it is too long and landing in the barrel it might "crimp" the bullet tight and cause the higher pressure.

Something has definitely changed, most likely something the person is unaware of.
Brass releloaded too much, change in the crimp or perhaps a leaky or inconsistent powder throw.

Its possible the exact same load could preform differently in the same rifle, but i typically assume most things are operator error...or maybe its just that way when i'm involved

Has he shot any other loads or just this new batch? I would think that comparing to something else could rule out the rifle.

New box of primers opened? New can of powder? I would assume that if he bought a few years ago and just bought "the exact same" and was close to max he may be seeing over pressure symptoms more from that than anything else. If they were older reloads with the same exact components he needs to reinspect his brass on the prior shots before the cleaning happened. You never know, unless he inspects all the time he could have missed some signed of pressure creeping up.

I would also throw 10 loads of powder, weigh them, and see if his powder measure creeped up on him and the weights are higher now than before.

I agree with other posters that the cleaning shouldn't be a cause. Not unless he left the bore and chamber dripping with oil...

PS If he blew one primer did he end up looking at the firing pin for damage and protrusion? One bad primer and then a damaged firing pin could be an issue. Lot numbers on the primers?

residual oil grease coating in the chamber?
that would mean when the case expands there'd be less friction to hold the case to the wall/more force going to the case head/bolt face, smooshing the head stamps .
perhaps try degreasing the chamber & see if that helps?

How did he remove the copper from the barrel? Was it a chemical removal, electronic, or mechanical? A chemical or electronic removal could have dropped a bunch of copper to plate one part of the barrel. Mechanical removal could have nicked the rifling or the barrel crown.

He might be able to see a rifling problem if he can recover some fired bullets that aren't damaged from impact.

A bent barrel comes to mind but if he's still hitting consistent accuracy without having to resight it isn't likely.

Wow this thread is like a manual to troubleshooting.. so many ideas in here i never would have thought of.
While its hard to even guess without being there. Good job guys.

I personally like the theory of new components vs old components. Who knows the age of the indiviual and how long the poweders been around.....

Check the powder scale.

Definitely this. I guess I take for granted I double check my loads on an RCBS Loadmaster and a second digital scale. I also occasionally pull out the beam scale, mostly to dust it and make sure gravity is still calibrated [wink]

Now can the pressure spike if the chamber is now super clean and worn out that the bullet jumps a bit more before the "pressure" spikes then hits the rifleing causeing a quick resistance.
like barrel ringing ?

That's a pretty high pressure cartridge, and the load is up there. Hodgdon says the max is 104.5 grains, and the pressure they have is 63,200. For 102 grains the pressure shows as 58,800.

I fail to see where removing the copper from the barrel raised pressure, I certainly haven't seen that before. I've been through the process many times, never saw raised pressure.

So, I understand you being stumped.

Seems to me something is missing, and I too recommend him checking the measure to verify the charge weight. At these pressures, doesn't take much to blow primers.

One possibility is SEE (Secondary Explosion Effect) from reduced ambient temperature (that's certainly NOT a reduced load). I know H322 is real hard to light at -26. WW785 is notorious for SEE with reduced charges.

From http://www.reloadammo.com/liteload.htm

Another view on the matter. SEE?

Dear Sir:

I believe that your article warning of the dangers of SEE has inacuracies that will discourage some shooters from safe and satisfactory experimentation.

SEE is an unexplained pressure excursion which has often blown up guns. It is associated with markedly reduced loads of very slow powders.

Contrary to the ubiquitous old wives tale, detonation is NOT a consideration with fast powders such as Bullseye, no matter how light the charge is or how spacious the case.

The phenomena of Secondary Explosion Effect (SEE) is known to occur only with the slow powders at very low loading densities. Precious little is known about the mechanics of the phenomenon and it is not even known if the expression, Secondary Explosion Effect, is accurate. SEE, despite best efforts of the leading powder companies, cannot be reproduced in the lab, at least in the literature that I have been able to find. Some of the powder companies now are putting notations in their manuals not to reduce CERTAIN loads below 80% loading density. One should note that such notations are for a very limited number of powders and cartridges, such as W-W 296 in the .44 Magnum. Actual documented SEE cases were at densities much less than 80% and with slow powders.

Cast bullet shooters discovered SEE while experimenting with some of the very slow powders. However, they have been using moderate speed powders at much reduced loads since the days of Dr. Mann, with no untoward results. Only the very slow powders exhibit SEE, usually those that were developed for the .50 BMG and magnum rifles such as MR-8700, etc. Recent events posted by Charlie Sharps, "Charles J. Sharps Ph.D" indicates that any powder that is SLOW FOR THAT PARTICULAR APPLICATION, loaded to a significantly reduced powder density, might be suspect. His was a Hercules 2400, .45-70 Contender blowup.

If SEE were a real danger with other than very slow powders, we would have MANY gun blow-ups. Think about it a minute. The .38 Special case uses only about 20 - 30% of its case volume when loaded with typical target loads. Anyone seen a .38 go high order from a (true) target load? Cast bullet shooters fire millions of rounds each year using VERY low loading densities in most cases.

If that is not enough, the ultra-lite loads have been experimented with for a good many years, where a typical powder charge might be 2-3 grains of Bullseye, 700X, Unique, or any faster pistol powder in a .30-06 or .45-70 case. If SEE were a realizable phenomena for fast powders at greatly reduced loading densities, this would certainly have resulted in many blow-ups. These ultra-lite loads are not isolated uses as the NRA has written them of them over the years, at least as far back as 1967 (NRA Handloaders Guide, Pg. 154). Reloaders, unfortunately, ascribe some anomalies to conditions other than the actual causes. Several other things that can happen to increase pressures:

1. Excessively thick case neck thickness due to reforming procedures or metal flow - causes over-diameter cartridge neck. Jamming the large cartridge neck into a tight chamber neck is a very good recipe for disaster.

2. Build-up of residue in the neck area of the chamber which compounds 1, above. Cast bullet shooters have experienced this from lube build-up.

3. Stretching of case length resulting from both firing and drawing the expander button back thorough the neck during resizing - causes the mouth of the case to jam into the corresponding chamber area and impede bullet release.

4. Significant increase in local ambient temperature over that in which the load was developed. This can have more effect than the unwary may suspect.

5. Changing to another lot or manufacturer of brass that has a smaller internal volume. This is usually a hazard only if maximum loads for the gun were developed using larger internal volume brass.

6. Bullet seated to a greater overall length (OAL) so that bullet is forced into rifling when the action is closed. This is, of itself, not a hazard; many of my cartridges are prepared using this technique. However, if the load was developed with the bullet seated to normal factory load OAL, that same powder charge can be excessive when the bullet is seated so that it touches the lands.

7. A change of bullet ogive so that the effect of 6 is realized even though cartridge OAL remains the same. I have found at least two boxes of .22 caliber bullets that had noticeably different ogives in the same box.

8. Change to another lot of powder that is faster albeit of the same manufacturer and type.

9. Excessive headspace (or too short cartridges) which can result in head separation and allow hot gasses and molten metal to blow back in the shooter's face. This is not necessarily a pressure excursion, but that is often blamed as the problem.

10. Excessive powder charge. Reloaders are usually not willing to admit this possibility, but we all make mistakes. About 100 years ago, on the second box of .38 Specials that I ever loaded, the charges were so excessive that the web my poor wife's hand was split open. The gun held together and so has our marriage (five kids).

Of these causes, I have found numbers 3 and 10 to be the most common cause of pressure excursions.

SEE is a very real phenomena, but it is blamed many times when the shooter has, in fact, allowed one or more of the above conditions to occur. For those who care to investigate further, back issues of The Cast Bullet have a number of articles discussing same. Handloader has also treated the subject a few times.

SEE is a real phenomena, but, I suspect, not as prevalent as rumors would indicate.

Norm

For those that ask why such a big cartridge, the intended use is likely long distance shooting. I recently bought a 338 Lapua for the same thing. Yes, we're crazy, but we like to have the possibility there.

Back
Top Bottom