• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A question about Stack On ammo cabinets

Mines no trouble either I wouldn't worry about it had 2 full cans of 9 and probably 500 rounds of 223 on top of one shelf for about a year no bends or anything

Unless you put one shelf down the bottom and load 10k rounds of .308 on top of that single shelf you should be fine. My only complaint with mine (2 door version) is that the door latch mechanism doesn't work if you have an ammo can directly behind where the key goes.

If your ammo is already stored in ammo cans, just build an ammo fort. [laugh]
I have the 18 gun cabinet, the shelves did start to sag. Though that's likely because one side of the shelves are only attached to the center divider panel for support

I'm thinking of getting this http://www.cabelas.com/product/STACK-ON-FIREPOWER-AMMO-CABINET/2045265.uts in an effort to clear up room in my safe. Does anyone have any experience with these? My concern is that the shelves may not be strong enough to support the weight of the ammo.

Have one of these (exact model linked above). It does fine with heavy stuff. Full 50-cal cans of 9mm doubled up on a single shelf, no issues. The shelves are secured with four relatively small bolts, so I too wondered how it would work out, but it seems fine.

It is what it is. Its a good enough starter gun cabinet/Ammo locker. I have one and use it for only that. The shelves surprisingly hold up well under a lot of weight but they do have issues with the door mechanism periodically. But you get what you pay for. Its reliable but calling a safe (not by definition) but by actual experience. IE a safe tips over on you you're gonna get hurt. This gun cabinet (which I think is their term if I remember correctly) falls over you're going to be frustrated and annoyed but thats it.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

My Stack-On plastic shelves are bent from not to much weight and time. Consider a four drawer FireKing fireproof file cabinet for ammo. There's a couple on CL for $100. Add an external vertical lock bar for more security.

I have one that was originally used for storing a couple .22 rifles to keep me compliant. After I bought a safe I turned it into an ammo locker ,built 3 shelves into it with legs that go between the shelves tucked into the recessed corners. It has several .50 cal. cans on each shelf and is locked in a closet out of the way works good for what I'm using it for. Bought it on Ebay 3-4 years ago for less than a c note delivered. Found one on Amazon on sale https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049X99II/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I have a 60" job box,it locks and holds a lot of ammo and a lot harder to break into than one of those cabinets for just a little more money.Job Box is a brand name,but I got my box at Tractor Supply for around $220 on sale.It basically holds all my 308 and 556 [smile]

Last edited:
I suggest you bolt it down fasten it so if it does fall over with ammo, that it isn't going to crush you. ;-) If you don't bolt it down, keep all the heavier stuff on the bottom and lighter things on top. It is common sense IMHO, but you can't always teach some one that. :) They work and will keep the average person out, but it can be easily put on a two wheeler and rolled out of your house. Just my two cents. LOL

Door doesn't fit snug and the whole thing is noisy. You can add some close cell foam tape and make it quieter if it bothers you. I taped up all the extra holes on the inside and out with gaffers tape to minimize the moisture. If you have everything in cans, it doesn't really matter then. If not in cans you can add an electric humidifier stick/Golden Rod and be good to go.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom