A nother ignorant person in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the news tonight there was a story about a walmart shooting or somthing, (i did not catch the hole story) But what really got me was the news caster interview of a older lady, and her comments about the shootings, "its just not safe anymore with all these guns".

this next parts more of a rant sorry,

Now im sure she just did not no any better, and out of fright just made that comment, but why as people do we always think the guns are the problem, The gun was fired by a person.

when a cars kill people its always talked about as how many bad drivers are out there, but when its about guns, its always about how many guns are out there and never about the people behind the gun.

For the sake of argument, a gun can not fire its self, contrary to belief, but a car can actualy drive itself, because it has has cruse controle, and a gun well dose not.

a car will not stop itself if no one hits the brake, but a gun will not fire unless you pull the trigger.

Point is that a car that kills more people every year is to most just a tool, and even though it can kill from not being used properly, its never looked at as the killer in most cases, but a gun that cant even do a thing without human interaction is blamed for the reason people get killed.

if there were no guns i do believe there would be more horrific violence, because people used guns to intimidate, and moste of the time thats enuff to get there point across, but if all they had was say a baseball bat, they would be more likely to use it on you first so you dont try any thing heroic.

If your one of the people who beleve they shouldent have to protect themselves in this world, good luck out there, i will alway believe in my self for protection, and a gun being that equilizer agenst any threat.

Best way i can put this to anyone is, would you go online with your computer if it had no anti-virus or a firewal protection, do you worry about computer viruses, Hakers, identity thieves,

would you spend thousands on a computer that dosent not get viruses or pay money for anti virus programs, if you would do all that for your computer, what are you going to use to protect yourself in the real world.

Last edited:
Spellcheck won't help, much....most of the incorrect words are spelled correctly, but are out of context.....

To the OP: Your point is not new ( As Kipling said, "Ye need not stop work to inform us. We knew it ten seasons before."). It's the natural stance of an Anti, a knee-jerk reaction to a problem, taking the perceived easiest route.

Antis don't say, "Ban cars," as they have one, and because they don't run into others, they know that the car is not the problem. As for guns, they don't have one, so it's easier to say, "Guns are bad" than to say, "That person is bad." This will imply that if one person is demonstrably bad, the potential for badness exists in all. Easier to blame a thing.

We're an oppressed minority, and the only way we'll make progress is to get more people to our side. Make every day "Take a Non-shooter to the Range Day."

Last edited:
I love busting balls as much as anyone as long as it is in good spirit. Some on this forum are incredibly bright and articulate and yet others are somewhat literacy challenged. I would hate to see the latter stop posting from fear of humiliation. I agree sometimes we need to decipher and/or extrapolate a bit, but that's one of the things I personally love about this "club". It is a true melting pot and presents some very interesting perspectives. Keep posting Gearjunky13. You are a new member , like myself, and you will find some truly good people here. Good luck.

We're an oppressed minority, and the only way we'll make progress is to get more people to our side. Make every day "Take a Non-shooter to the Range Day."

This is a great idea and is most likely the best way to swing the antis by simply removing their "fear of the unknown" concerning guns. I agree that we should all make the effort, and as already posted, keep the politics out.

Let us know how it goes - what you brought, how they did....

One word of advice .... keep the focus on the target, not politics.

Good luck

I have a waiting list 12 names long of people at work who want me to take them to the range for the first time. I've taken 2 so far, and the third (one of the other managers) is on the schedule for a 'lunch' break tomorrow. I bought a big stack of large, splatter style, paper silhoette targets just for this purpose.

I always start with a 10-15 min lesson on basic firearm safety, function, etc. Than have them fire a .22 for about 50 rounds or so at 25 ft. If they're comfy with it and want to move up, I switch them to a 9mm for the rest of the session.

.... keep the focus on the target, not politics.
Good luck

keep the politics out.

Sounds good in theory but it's hard to keep politics (and the BS laws in Ma) out of it. Especially when you have to tell a new shooter: 'Sorry, but no you can't have that cylindrical piece of spent brass as a souvenir.' [sad]

Im going to start forming vigils and protests every time theres a bad car accident, calling for a ban on cars in the name of public safety. Whos with me?

We should ban 5 gallon buckets!

images

Sounds good in theory but it's hard to keep politics (and the BS laws in Ma) out of it. Especially when you have to tell a new shooter: 'Sorry, but no you can't have that cylindrical piece of spent brass as a souvenir.' [sad]

Oh, the "Sorry, that spent case is illegal for you to posess." should be part of the range visit.

But the Constitutional issues are above the comprehension of most new shooters, and distract from the enjoyment of the range time, IMO.

Keep the shooting fun, and the "politics" local. Check to see if the guest (in this case, a manager) lives in a red town - "Ya know, the way the laws are, your CoP can keep you from gettng a license to do this stuff, for no real reason, under discretion." That's the way to do it!

I love busting balls as much as anyone as long as it is in good spirit. Some on this forum are incredibly bright and articulate and yet others are somewhat literacy challenged. I would hate to see the latter stop posting from fear of humiliation. I agree sometimes we need to decipher and/or extrapolate a bit, but that's one of the things I personally love about this "club". It is a true melting pot and presents some very interesting perspectives. Keep posting Gearjunky13. You are a new member , like myself, and you will find some truly good people here. Good luck.

^ This. The original post was truly painful to read. I can suppress the "grammar cop" inside me, but only for so long. PLEASE people! When you take the time to type out such a post, take one more minute to proof read it. It only takes a minute. All the valid points the OP made were hidden by the utter lack of readability.

I get the sympathy for the OP with regard to spelling, puntuation, sentence structure, grammar, etc., but at what point does it become so ridiculous that it's unreadable?

Dude, have a friend, parent, teacher, or even a total stranger proofread your posts. Before you get all excited and proud of your accomplishments with the keyboard have them make corrections and changes. Then, and only then, should you be allowed to mash the "post reply" button.

edit: Stevie P. beat me to it.

Oh, the "Sorry, that spent case is illegal for you to posess." should be part of the range visit.

But the Constitutional issues are above the comprehension of most new shooters, and distract from the enjoyment of the range time, IMO.

Keep the shooting fun, and the "politics" local. Check to see if the guest (in this case, a manager) lives in a red town - "Ya know, the way the laws are, your CoP can keep you from gettng a license to do this stuff, for no real reason, under discretion." That's the way to do it!

Ahh, gotcha. [wink]

This. Eksept eye uzualee aproach the spent kase ishue, at the end the ceshun, bye sayin, "Dude, homeie, bro, check your treds bfour we leeve. You could get pinched if'n you has brass stuk in yur kiks."

Wow! It's really hard to type like that, lol.

There is quite a surplus of ignorance in this world.

The points in the OP are very valid. As a society, we have let strangers raise and influence our children for decades. Everyone has an agenda, and the result is our hoplophobe neighbors and a bloated state.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Please excuse typos.

Last edited:
Hay this was just a rant to vent my frustration, I'm sorry for the spelling and it being a hard read, its also longer then it needs to be to but that's the point of a rant.

I'm new to guns and I found it a shock to see all the hate for firearms out there, so I'm not quite used to all the negative publicity going on and it aggravating to say the least,

hell my town just turned green and I would like it to stay that way, and I just can't stand it when you here this crap in the news,

I vent my frustration here because I can't any ware else. When I'm out or at work I keep my mouth shut as best I can unless I'm talking to someone I know has guns.

I don't want to get into an argument with some anti gun people about somthing like this and make matters worse.

Id rather have them forget about it and have normal conversation and not look like a crazy man trying to tell them there wrong I'm right so STFU.

Hay this was just a rant to vent my frustration, I'm sorry for the spelling and it being a hard read, its also longer then it needs to be to but that's the point of a rant.

I'm new to guns and I found it a shock to see all the hate for firearms out there, so I'm not quite used to all the negative publicity going on and it aggravating to say the least,

hell my town just turned green and I would like it to stay that way, and I just can't stand it when you here this crap in the news,

I vent my frustration here because I can't any ware else. When I'm out or at work I keep my mouth shut as best I can unless I'm talking to someone I know has guns.

I don't want to get into an argument with some anti gun people about somthing like this and make matters worse.

Id rather have them forget about it and have normal conversation and not look like a crazy man trying to tell them there wrong I'm right so STFU.

Lo an behold! He riseth from the ashes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom