• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A newbie question

This may sound dumb, but what do folks do with their CCW when they go to bed at night? We had a stranger rooting around on our porch the other day, in broad daylight, possibly looking for a spare key. When confronted, he claimed to have the wrong house. Spouse is understandably jumpy now. So what can/should I do?

The firearm I use for conceled carry is not the same one I would turn to for home defense -- I am in my home and so not limited by the characteristic needed to conceal. I am however limited by the need to have it secured per MA law, however you being in ME are not so limited and to my knowledge could park an M1A1 tank next to the bed provide kids don't have access to the keys. [grin]

Ar in the closet full size within arms reach and guns placed throughout the house I can shoot my way to. But I don't have kids

Pocket litter goes on a table, (wallet, knife, flashlight), mag carrier comes off of belt and goes with pocket litter. CCW stays in holster and goes on night table right next to the flashlight that's always there.

I don't have any kids in my house, and I don't live in Massachusetts - I don't have to secure my firearms in my own home. Being semi-intelligent, everything except what I'm carrying is locked up except when I'm using, (or working on) it.

CCW on the nightstand but just because it's convenient to put it there; not intended for use in home defense. AR and 870 under the bed, both with lights mounted. No kids.

When we have visitors with children the long guns go in a nearby hidden storage area. The CCW stays on the nightstand as long as I'm in the room with it.

My VP9 and extra mags go into the quick access safe next to the bed, still loaded. Got a knife sitting on the night stand next to the bed on one side, and a tactical flashlight designed for bludgeoning sitting on the other.

Rest is all locked up thanks to shitty storage laws in MA.

Given that you are in ME, I assume ME laws mandate only that children not have access so if that isn't an issue for you, why not leave it loaded on the nightstand or in the holster attached to pants next to the bed?

This may sound dumb, but what do folks do with their CCW when they go to bed at night? We had a stranger rooting around on our porch the other day, in broad daylight, possibly looking for a spare key. When confronted, he claimed to have the wrong house. Spouse is understandably jumpy now. So what can/should I do?

After dealing with a nervous spouse for a few days or weeks you'll probably just shoot the next stranger you see on your porch.

Any things possible, but doubtful the gentleman you saw had the wrong house. Did you get a picture? One of the benefits of phones today - pictures tend to do a decent job of stopping bad behavior.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=147119

IMG_1672.jpg

In Maine? ---- You probably cuddle with it.

In MA? --- You are required to dismantle it into a million pieces, lock it in a safe......and wear a rape whistle around your neck, and don't forget to have a full bladder in case you need to pee on them.

In Maine? ---- You probably cuddle with it.

In MA? --- You are required to dismantle it into a million pieces, lock it in a safe......and wear a rape whistle around your neck, and don't forget to have a full bladder in case you need to pee on them.

Peeing on them is assault. Don't do that. Also, you have to make sure your rape whistle is not a high capacity, extra killy model without a bayonet lug or grenade launcher.

Op if you are neevous about leaving a loaded handgun on the nightstand just get a quick access safe. Then practice the hell out of opening it quickly. That is what I have in my bedroom.

But as orhers have stated....my ccw is a different gun than my things go bump in the night gun.

You had a problem during the day, but your concerned about night time access. Which don't get me wrong, you should be, but i would address day security first.
Get an alarm, also get 1 or 2 surveillance cameras up, it would be awesome if you had this guys picture.
Maybe a game trail cam. $100 for a good one.
If you have a hidden house key, it better be as far as possible from the door, other side of the house at least. Your right, that is what he was looking for.
If your wife is home during the day and your not, that's the scary part..she should have quick access, there are various safes to accomplice this.
I'm sure you'll find something quickly if you search around the internet a bit.

I think the most f'd up incidences happen when a burglar breaks in, thinks there alone, suddenly bumps into a housewife and ends up doing something horrible, we wont get into it, im sure you seen a few stories on the news.
Put up a beware of dog sign, If you have a garage your wife parks in during the day, move her car outside during the day so it is seen.
It's inconvenient and a pain but if they see a car they'll try a easier house that doesn't have a car in it 99% of the time.

I recently put up a driveway alarm, best thing ive bought in awhile. Love this thing.
You dont have to knock on my door, ive already heard you coming 400 feet ago, im at the door watching you walk up waiting to greet you, or trying to stuff the dead hooker back under the mattress.
No surprises.
Ive got 3 sensors on it, front entrance of the driveway, half way down the driveway, just in case the first one misses you (which is rare) and back of the house. Different beeps so i know where you are just by listening.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-Wireless-Motion-Security-CWA2000/dp/B002ISVJL6

Last edited:
I have this quick access safe in the bedroom. Aside from shitty MA laws I have a 1 and 3 year old. Everything is always locked up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXQW672/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the biometric version with 2 of my fingerprints and 2 of my wives fingerprints stored. I personally live the safe, it is much more robust than a crappy little lock box and once you swipe a finger the safe is open a second later.

ETA I added a motion sensing light so once the lid pops a light comes on.

Last edited:
I have this quick access safe in the bedroom. Aside from shitty MA laws I have a 1 and 3 year old. Everything is always locked up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXQW672/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the biometric version with 2 of my fingerprints and 2 of my wives fingerprints stored. I personally live the safe, it is much more robust than a crappy little lock box and once you swipe a finger the safe is open a second later.

ETA I added a motion sensing light so once the lid pops a light comes on.

I have one of these boxes and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-FT...qid=1475766673&sr=8-3&keywords=fort+knox+safe

I like the simplex lock vs. a biometric. To each their own.

My wife brought up the subject of an alarm system a few days ago because she said she's nervous if I have to work late or go out of town and she's home alone at night. I told her that 1) our GS dog would never let anybody hurt her, and 2) I showed her how to cycle the 12 gauge (not as easy for her as I though it would be), which I told her would turn back 99% of any threat. I'm not a big fan of an alarm system, but I do like the idea of something like the driveway alarm that pepperoni described above (as my dog very rarely barks and might not be a deterrent even though I'm sure he wouldn't actually let somebody get too far in the house with intent to harm).

My CCW goes into the nightstand drawer, along with three spare magazines. It's really only there to get me to the cabinet with my carbines in it. Slap in the Magpul D60 and let them come... [smile]

So I guess I've been doing it all wrong, cuz I make always lock up each piece of ammo is its own separate case, then in a super secure safe in a super secret secure room and in another super secret room, I have the gun trigger locked inside a locked case that's inside a locked container inside a super secure fire safe that is bolted down in a reinforced secure panic room. Then I drive several miles home with my handy dandy rape whistle and leave that on the night stand. Oh before I get in the house, I make sure the gunfree zone sign is still up and unobstructed. Thanks Maura for keep me and my family safe.

Just remember, "it's for the children"

Last edited:
You live in ME? on your nightstand, or under your pillow.

If you were in MA, you could buy a keyed lockbox and lock it up on your nightstand to meet the storage requirement.

Or....you could lay your holstered firearm on top of the lockbox with the key sticking out of it, and SAY it was locked in said box before you retrieved it if ever needed.

But that would be thwarting the safe storage laws in MA and would not be compliant - and most importantly Maura would not appreciate it....so I would not do that.

Keep you handgun secured and accessible by your bed.

[video=youtube_share;CcJUGuB35y8]http://youtu.be/CcJUGuB35y8[/video]

You live in ME? on your nightstand, or under your pillow.

If you were in MA, you could buy a keyed lockbox and lock it up on your nightstand to meet the storage requirement.

Or....you could lay your holstered firearm on top of the lockbox with the key sticking out of it, and SAY it was locked in said box before you retrieved it if ever needed.

But that would be thwarting the safe storage laws in MA and would not be compliant - and most importantly Maura would not appreciate it....so I would not do that.
Meh or you could not comply to anyone of those options and just your gun where you wanna keep it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom