• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A new type of training

JimConway said:
Lynne
Please see the edited message. Thanks for pointing out that I had omitted one of the costs. Are we going to see you and Ed there?

I'm looking at the re-enacting schedule Jim. [smile] Don't know yet.

Jim,

I won't be moved up to the NH/MA area in time for the Introduction to Defensive Shooting, but will definately be interested the next time you do one.

Wow! Local and convenient! Jim, looking forward to the April class. It'll be a busy weekend for me -- the next day I'm taking the IDPA class at Riverside. Strongly considering the 2 day in August.

Mark

Check is in the mail!!! (or will be in the morning)

I'm really looking forward to this! (though I notice with some disapointment you've reduced the round count from the 300rnd you mentioned in the email you sent me!![wink])

Matt

April class at Westford Sportsmen's Club

The class scheduled for April 22 is almost full. We have only 3 seats left. If you are thinking of going to this one day class, now is the time to sign up. To sign up simply send a check for $65.00 to
James Conway
191 Brookline Street
pepperell, MA 01463

Jim, Mike, and Doug,

I wanted to say thanks for the class today. What a great class. I really learned alot. I discovered a bunch of areas I need to work on (pretty much every area!) and came away with the techniques to develop those areas.

For those of you who have not taken classes from these guys, they are not only very skilled shooters, but very good teachers.

I would (and will)recomend this class to any shooter, new or experienced.

Thanks for a great day,
Matt

Also, Ken and Telemark: It was great to meet you there. Wish I'd had a little more time at the end to sit and chat, but had to run.

Matt

Last edited:
Likewise! Good meeting everyone, and the course itself as first rate. Jim really did a fantastic job bringing this from concept to refinement is such a short time. As an added bonus, I got to learn why it's always a good idea to include powder in a reload recipe. [thinking] It's a good thing I only brought the Airweight for informal plinking and that there was a student along who had a full-blown gunsmithing operation in the trunk of his car, or I'd have been out of action.

Likewise sorry we scattered so fast, but I think everyone was thinking of getting out of there and getting warm as soon as the class ended. Now I get to do it all over again in a few hours at the IDPA class at Riverside!

Mark

Class comments and a request

Matt and Mark
Thank you for the kind comments. For us it wonderful to have students that want to learn. It makes us feel like we are doing something worthwhile.
Now I have a request. If you two, or any of the other students, have any suggestions or comments on how we can make the courses better, no matter how small or picky, please let me know. The only way that we can do a better job is if you help us be letting us know what you think.
Doug, Doug, Mike and I want to thank all of you that braved the cold weather and helped us run a good course. In addition to learning something, I hope that you all had some fun.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head Jim, the suggested ammo count as low. I brought an extra 50 for 250 rounds, and it was close. But, I learned my lesson from it. Today, for the IDPA handgunner class, I brought everything I had (and used less than 100[smile] ).

While it was colder than I was hoping for, it was nice to meet some of you there. The ammo count was probably correct, if you only shot the minimum number of rounds that Jim specified in the drills. Most of us, however, have a strong tendancy to keep doing it until we get it right. If you're already perfect, that doesn't prose an issue (except why you're there to begin with); for the rest of us, increase the ammo count in proportion to your need for training. I usally bring a whole bunch of ammo.[wink]

Ken

I burned through about 300rnds. Guess I needed more work! (I also brough 500, so I wasn't skimping).

The only thing I would suggest (which I know is alot of work for you) is a written course book covering the major topics. I've been writing down key points of what I most need to work on as they come back to mind.

Alternatively, suggest a notebook and pen on the "to bring" list. But the booklet would be useful. Even just a course outline to help jog the memory when students get home.

Matt

I found this post last week while I was searching for training opportunities. After reading the post, I contacted Jim because I felt I was in the same boat that Tele Mark was in. We arranged for a private lesson last weekend, and I wanted to comment on my experience.

Going in, I told Jim that I was a very new shooter who hadn’t had any formal training on how to shoot (I took a firearms safety course for my LTC that didn’t include any hands on (or any, for that matter) shooting instruction). I’d been shooting on my own a couple times a week for the last couple months, but I was worried that I was probably making quite a few mistakes, and probably developing some bad habits. I plan to take several courses over the summer, but I wanted some formal instruction in the mean time to identify potential bad habits before they form, and to give me some things that I could work on while I shoot on my own.

My training wasn’t as extensive as Mark’s was, nor did I ask it to be. We touched briefly on most of the subjects he listed at the beginning of the post, with an emphasis on trigger pull, grip, stance, sighting and troubleshooting. Throughout the afternoon he sprinkled in basic lessons on firearms safety, handling, and general knowledge when appropriate. Towards the end we worked on a couple defensive drills. All told, I walked away with exactly what I was looking for. It was just enough information for me to digest without overwhelming me, I have plenty of things to work on at the range, and I learned more than a thing or two about shooting in general.

Jim is a class act and an asset to the sport. I’m looking forward to future lessons and classes with him.

I also wanted to note that Tana (my girlfriend) came with me to the lesson, and Doug (also with NEShooters) was at the range with Jim when we arrived. Much to Tana’s delight, while Jim was working with me, Doug took out his Ruger .22 and spent some time working with her. After an hour or so with Doug, she showed great improvement in her marksmanship and a huge boost in enthusiasm for the sport. Thanks, Doug, you may have helped to create a monster.

Training with Chris

What Chris forgot to mention, I assume it is a modesty thing, is that he shot an almost prefect "1 hole group" at the end of the class with a gun that he never handled before. Bravo, Chris

Jim, are you planning on holding any more of these classes? After seeing what you taught me on Christmas Eve up at Tyngsboro in only a few minutes, I'd love to spend 6 hours learning from you.

Back
Top Bottom