A new type of training

JimConway

Instructor
Last week, I was approached by another list member who had just got his LTC and bought his first gun. His complaint was that the NRA Basic Pistol Course did not teach him how to shoot. Since he was nearby, I suggested that we get together for a how-to-shoot training session. We did his first session last weekend. I started with about 2 hours of classroom time in my office which covered a wide range of topics, including:
The 4 UGH safety rules
Stance
Sighting and the sight picture
Holding to hold the gun
Aiming (where to focus)
The sequence of firing a shot with a heavy emphasis on trigger reset and follow through
Reloading
Malfunctions
Carry methods
How and when you can shoot
I also addressed a lot of questions. One question amused me. He wanted to talk about breathing. I advised him to do it and explained the breath control is normally considered only by Bulls eye shooters or for very long shots.

After the classroom, we went to a nearby range to begin shooting. before he shot, he asked me to check out his P99 since he thought that the sights were off. While the sights could have been a bit better they were more than acceptible. Without going into a lot of detail, the improvement in his shooting after 2 hours was dramatic. When he started to shoot, he was all over the target. At the end, he was able to keep all of his shots, well grouped, within 6" at 17 yards. I think that he was pleased.

After mentioning all of the above to a couple of friends, the concensus was the many people would benifit from some initial training that would fit in between the NRA Basic Pistol Course and a top professional trainer, like those that we bring in to the Nashua area. They also thought that such a course would make it much easier for a new shooter to take a professional course and allow them to get more out of it.

If any of you are interested, I am willing to provide a basic shooting program for groups between 4 and 10 for a cost of $50.00 each. For any group over 5, I would have an additional trainer to provide a higher safety level, more shooting time, and to provide more hands on training. Base upon last weeks course, I would expect that the course should run for 5 to 6 hours. Within reason, I am also willing to do the training at your range.

As I've never had any type of formal training...and been shooting for a very long time. I learned what I did by just shooting.

I think for a small price of 50 bucks, I would like to take this class as it sounds like there are many things that I will learn.

So please add me to the list of people in your class.

Jim,

If you've got any over towards my area that are interested, and, if I'm not working - I'd be willing to give you a hand.

I was the student that Jim taught this weekend. I had seen neshooters mentioned while looking around for training. However, when I went to the site I was a bit overwhelmed by the course offerings. So, I shot Jim a PM asking for his input on what I should concider taking for a first course, from his offerings and from others. After a few exchanges where I gave Jim some detail of where I was coming from and what I wanted to accomplish, he suggested the weekend course I took Saturday.

I'm not sure if this course was something Jim had been working on , or if my exchange with him had given him an idea for a course he saw a need for, but the 6 hour course he gave me was very well thought out and presented. If he has further refinement in mind, it won't need much in the way of tweaking. I'd say it would be a steal at $50. The NRA Basic Pistol course necessary for the Mass LTC is a very good course, designed to teach a prospective gun owner how to hopefully avoid accidentally killing themselves or someone else. This course Jim taught is a logical next step. It gives me lots of material to work on to feel I'm ready for one of the advanced classes, without having to learn alot of stuff by trial and error.

Mark

tele_mark said:
I was the student that Jim taught this weekend. I had seen neshooters mentioned while looking around for training. However, when I went to the site I was a bit overwhelmed by the course offerings. So, I shot Jim a PM asking for his input on what I should concider taking for a first course, from his offerings and from others. After a few exchanges where I gave Jim some detail of where I was coming from and what I wanted to accomplish, he suggested the weekend course I took Saturday.

I'm not sure if this course was something Jim had been working on , or if my exchange with him had given him an idea for a course he saw a need for, but the 6 hour course he gave me was very well thought out and presented. If he has further refinement in mind, it won't need much in the way of tweaking. I'd say it would be a steal at $50. The NRA Basic Pistol course necessary for the Mass LTC is a very good course, designed to teach a prospective gun owner how to hopefully avoid accidentally killing themselves or someone else. This course Jim taught is a logical next step. It gives me lots of material to work on to feel I'm ready for one of the advanced classes, without having to learn alot of stuff by trial and error.

Mark

And that's a good point. I've been wanting to take some of these classes that you hear people taking. And being that I've been shooting...I don't konw all these terms that people talk about when discussing stances and the like.

I think that by taking this class first it would make people more comfy when going to take a more advanced class in combat training.

I am definitely interested…I am actually surprised at the lack of beginner-level “shooting” or marksmanship classes out there.

I have a request. I would appreciate it if those people that want to attend the class drop me an email at [email protected] with some info on where you and how I can reach you.

In response to Mark's comment, the idea for holding such a class came to me after the class. I see the benifit of the class as providing a stronger grounding in the basics of shooting and as a sort of bridge between the NRA Basic Pistol Class and top end professional instruction. A 2 day class with any of the pros will give you a great deal of info in a short time. This class will make the pro's class seem a lot easier and aveliate some fears.

In terms of what I will cover in the class, I will cover most or all of the material that I covered with Mark. I will also try to cover any additional areas that you are interested in.

As something to think about, there are intermediate and advanced handgun classes, but there are no advanced gun fights. The basics are what will help you survive.

I have edited the Email address

I've been thinking I was going to contact some of the folks on this board as soon as my liscense come in for EXACTLY this reason.

So far, I've been able to shoot reasonably well with guns I've rented, but I'm afraid I'll develop some bad habits and I'd rather break them now. Someone in the know carefully observing my grip, stance, recoil recovery, etc. would be very helpful I think.

Matt

I sent an e mail and it hasn't been bounced back as undeliverable so I am assuming that it's in his mailbox.

Bugie

I guess I should have checked my spam folder. I see that it was bounced back as undeliverable. I sent a PM as well

Bugie

Did you folks check his message again. He changed his Email address to his business Email. I know that he'll get the message if you resend it there.

Looks like there could have been some problems with the webserver Email system.

The class - When and where

I want to thank all of you for your interrest. I am ready to have the class. All that I (we) must do is find a place and set a time/date. What we will need is a quite place to talk and a range with 4 or 5 lanes. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Re: The class - When and where

JimConway said:
I want to thank all of you for your interrest. I am ready to have the class. All that I (we) must do is find a place and set a time/date. What we will need is a quite place to talk and a range with 4 or 5 lanes. Does anyone have any good ideas?

I haven't been able to talk to Alan yet, but I'll keep you posted.

This message is an update on our planned 6 hour class. If all goes as expected, the first class will be held in late March or early April. I should have an outline of the class content finished in the nex week or so. Since I have now completed the requirements to be a Certified Instructor for Suarez International, I have been able to access some additional course training material and am updating the planned course content.

We are also planning to run Gabe Suarez's Defensive Pistol Skills course in August, 2006. I will post a message as soon as a location and date are selected. This is a two day course and the cost will be somewhere around $200.00.

DEFENSIVE PISTOL SKILLS - (DPS)

All training must begin with fundamentals. This fundamentals class is designed to prep you for the more advanced courses such as Close Range Gunfighting. Through a carefully designed and detailed curriculum we are able to bring you up to a level of skill in a short two day class that previously would take over 4 or 5 days to achieve at other schools.

This class is taught by our many qualified Suarez International Staff Instructors. You will learn a complete presentation of the modern combative technique of the pistol which will put you in good standing for any defensive situations you may encounter in the real world. No experience or prior training is needed to attend this class and it is specially suitable for beginners.

Duration: 2 days
Ammunition: Approximately 300 rounds (Minimum)
Requirements: Pistol, Holster, 3 Magazines, Safety Gear *

*Please bring what you carry. Any caliber or action type will do fine here - Revolvers Are Welcome!!

Course date and location

Unofficially, the first of the 1 day courses will be held at the Westford Sportsmen's Club on April 22, 2006, starting at 9:00AM. I will confirm the date and time after this Monday's meetimg at the Westford Sportsmen's Club. The cost will be $50.00 for the course plus a $15.00 range fee. I will need to know how many are planning to attend by about March 15, 2006 so the I can have the right materials available and so that I can have enough instructors. My email is [email protected]

This one day course is a condensed version of the first day of the two day Suarez "Defensive Pistol Skills course which we expect to run in August, 2006

Last edited:
Definitely interested in the post-nra basic pistol course. Does this have an 'official' name? (I sent an email also.)

Do I need a carry holster for this? I've got one of the cheap ($14) nylon ones from FS suitable for the range.

Anything else?

Matt

It is official - Course dates are set

To all that are interested in our two courses
We will be offering the following two courses at the Westford Sportsmens Club, in Westford, MA -

April 22, 2006, Introduction to Defensive Shooting.
This is a 6 hour course will be very similar to the course that I gave Mark about a month ago. The course is a slightly stripped version of the first day of the two day Defensive pistol Skills course.

The cost is $50.00 for the course plus $15.00 for the range fee.

To attend the course, you will need the following
Handgun (Semi-automatic or revolver)
Strong side holster
3 magazines or speed loaders
Mag pouches
Ball cap
Eye and ear protection
Notebook and pen
150 to 200 rounds of ammunition

August 19 & 20, 2006, Defensive Pistol Skills
This is a Suarez International course taught by Certified Suarez International instructors. The lead instructor will be Jim Conway. All training must begin with fundamentals. This fundamentals class is designed to prep you for the more advanced courses such as Close Range Gunfighting. Through a carefully designed and detailed curriculum we are able to bring you up to a level of skill in a short two day class that previously would take over 4 or 5 days to achieve at other schools.

This class is taught by our many qualified Suarez International Staff Instructors. You will learn a complete presentation of the modern combative technique of the pistol which will put you in good standing for any defensive situations you may encounter in the real world. No experience or prior training is needed to attend this class and it is specially suitable for beginners. A Certificate from Suarez International, signed by Gabe Suarez and Jim Conway, will be presented upon completion of the course

The cost is $200.00 for the course plus $30.00 for the range fee.

Duration: 2 days
Ammunition: Approximately 300 rounds (Minimum)
Requirements: Pistol, Holster, 3 Magazines, Safety Gear *

*Please bring what you carry. Any caliber or action type will do fine here - Revolvers Are Welcome!!

Last edited:
Fees

Lynne
Please see the edited message. Thanks for pointing out that I had omitted one of the costs. Are we going to see you and Ed there?

Back
Top Bottom