• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A new one on me.

I pulled out eighty 45 ACP cases to reload a box. Of those, 22 have flash holes from .131" to .134" as opposed to the normal .080"sh. There used to be wax bullets for practicing quick draw and the like. Part of the deal was to open up the flash holes so the primer wouldn't back out. But that was obviously for revolvers. These are all Winchester brass. Nothing denoting anything special such as NT primers. I suspect the only reason I spotted it was because I was picking corn cob out of the flash hole. Is this something normal, or did someone drill the hole oversized for a reason?

Last edited:
When I reloaded .45ACP years ago all cases used Large Pistol Primers (those big holes)! I think it is only recently that for reasons unknown to me, they are using small primers in .45ACP cases, probably saving money.

Should have done a search first. I found posts from 2007 on another forum about this very thing. One guy found a Winchester case with a flash hole of .144". Doesn't leave much pocket left. The consensus is NBD, unless of course you are a martial master gunblaster. Ostensibly this was first started due to the green primers. Since I don't buy any factory ammunition, but instead use range brass, I've never seen this before. I kinda figured someone drilled them out to use in a 45 ACP revolver.

Now that I'm not afraid of them, one of the objections to corn cob has been eliminated. The only thing that would clog these holes would be several corn stalks.

Yeah, I've seen them but only after reloading and shooting them a couple of times. I never noticed a difference.

When I reloaded .45ACP years ago all cases used Large Pistol Primers (those big holes)! I think it is only recently that for reasons unknown to me, they are using small primers in .45ACP cases, probably saving money.

Len, he's talking about the flash holes inside the primer pockets. The small primer .45 ACP is a PITA.

I believe the larger flash holes were created to accommodate newer primers with more energy.

The small primer .45 ACP is a PITA.

This in spades! I just ran my first batch of 45 ACP, and used some range pick up brass I bought, that was "large primer only". I guess one or two snuck through, because one of those small bastards WILL NOT take a Large pistol primer[laugh]. Luckily I learned a couple quick lessons when I started loading recently, not the least of which is "if it doesn't feel right, STOP!

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

Yeah, I've seen them but only after reloading and shooting them a couple of times. I never noticed a difference.

Len, he's talking about the flash holes inside the primer pockets. The small primer .45 ACP is a PITA.

That's no shit. I've taken to junking these when I come across them.

That's no shit. I've taken to junking these when I come across them.

Hold on to them. When you have enough sell them. Some people like them. It's much quicker to swap my 650, from 38 or 9mm to 45 Small then 45 large primer. I tend to batch based on the primer. If I am loading 30-06 or 30-30 I would then load the 45 large primer.

because one of those small bastards WILL NOT take a Large pistol primer[laugh]. Luckily I learned a couple quick lessons when I started loading recently, not the least of which is "if it doesn't feel right, STOP!

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

You just need to use the right sized hammer

Back
Top Bottom