A new life for a 625

So I was at Hunters trading post some months ago and I noticed a 5 inch 625 in the case. By the look of it, it was used a lot and used hard. Lots of dings. The rear sight was damaged and grips were cracked. I notice that the side plate did not fit properly, I was told that the original owner had engraved his social security number in the original side plate so they ordered a new one to replace it. The gun functioned fine but the plate was thicker than the original and was not flush with the frame. Even though the condition was poor the lockup was good. Since you can't have to many 625's, I made an offer and took it home. I had been looking at it trying to decide what to do with it. Since I already had two 5 inch and a 4 inch 625's I decided to make it into a 3.125 inch. I removed and cut the barrel. I chose 3.125 because I wanted to use the factory detent and any shorter would have been a problem. A front sight base was made and installed. The muzzle end was machined and an 11 degree crown was put on. Since the rear sight was damaged and I was not going to pay $150 for a replacement , I mounted a new round style rear sight that I had. Now that the barrel was done I set out to blend the side plate to the frame. This took the most time but came out good. Everything was bead blasted and new grips installed.

8239cbb6dec9ae100343071ab620446f.jpg

9f95d651f73905e60daa5dd5db9be587.jpg

9a886d53836ed2c9c8ad37ab76e4ff99.jpg

5d35fa829b00ddab0cf324a4ee61f857.jpg

I used to shed a tear when people would hack up a 5" 625. However, now they are dinosaurs since USPSA allowed 8 shot minor. It came out very nice!

Did you do all the work yourself? That gun looks beautiful. I'm barely qualified to break down a gun to clean it never mind perform any actual gunsmith type tasks...

Did you do all the work yourself? That gun looks beautiful. I'm barely qualified to break down a gun to clean it never mind perform any actual gunsmith type tasks...

Yes, I don't claim to be a gun smith and don't have any formal gun Smith training. I've been a machinist all of my adult life and have owned a CNC shop for the last 20 years. I started with a drill press and basic lathe. If you have an interest, find something to make and have at it. You never know where it will lead.

Gorgeous gun, love the stuff you do... I purchased a few odds and end from you, wish I could afford that one... I have my heart set on a used beat up V-comp in 357 or 44mag and having it cut down to 3" ...

Yes, I don't claim to be a gun smith and don't have any formal gun Smith training. I've been a machinist all of my adult life and have owned a CNC shop for the last 20 years. I started with a drill press and basic lathe. If you have an interest, find something to make and have at it. You never know where it will lead.

Your probably better off being a machinist working on guns than a "gun Smith" trying to be a machinist[grin]
Don't get me wrong There are some great gun smiths out there.

End result is beautiful. I ha e a JM625 that hasn't left the safe since the last shoot at Shirley. Long time. Has only enough rounds through it to turn the trigger from sandpaper feel to silk.

If I can find a V-comp... whatcha think about cutting it down for me ...

I got me that 629 V-comp.. it's a beauty, too nice to cut down yet.. and I found it at the smokin price I was looking for.. now I think I'll get me some nice combat grips.. and call it good for now..

Attachments

• 629 V-comp.jpg
    629 V-comp.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom