a must for every reloading room

I have NEVER, in 38 years, had a primer detonate in the press!

If it's taking too much force for a primer to go in, stop pressing, and figure out what's wrong.

So, no... I haven't.

I don't know what the fuss is. Hasn't anybody here had a primer blow while seating in a Square Deal B? It's a surprise when it happens but not earth shaking. If your worried put some water in the bucket first.

IAMA SCARED,MY HAIRS STRAIGHT UP

Sucked up live primers probably a few 100 times. Have yet to have one to go off even with the old hoover with the rotating brushes. Even if one would happen to ignite it only a primer that little anvil flying around in the sweeper isn't go to do a thing.

Ever throw a live primer into the old potbelly stove in deer camp. Comeon guys we're not talking about dyamite here!

Might be my first post here but I've been reloading since the '60's.
I USED PRIMERS to blow up ledge and tree stumps

If it's taking too much force for a primer to go in, stop pressing, and figure out what's wrong.

So, no... I haven't.

Only had 2 in 20 years. Found a piece of grit stuck to the seating pin right where the firing pin would hit.

Dave

I've been following this thread with interest. My reloading room (unfortunately) has a carpeted floor. I usually use a dustpan and brush to clean up any powder spills on the bench, but I'm sure some powder migrates onto the carpet. Occasionally I'll lose a live primer onto the floor that I can't locate. I'm not too concerned about the occasional spent primer that escapes onto the floor while depriming.

Every so often I'll use the vac to clean up the carpet. I know I've sucked up a live primer or two, but I've never had one detonate or had any of the spilled powder ignite. I've been doing this for many, many years. Honestly, the amounts that I can't pick up or sweep up by hand are small, and I never really gave it a second thought. Doesn't mean that this is a good practice to follow, just that I've never experienced a problem.

If I were to spill a large quantity of powder, or drop a large number of primers, I wouldn't use the vac for clean up. A single unconfined primer probably wouldn't generate much of an explosion. I'd be more concerned about the spark from the primer igniting other combustible materials in the vac; stuff like lint, dust, powder, etc.

I may have to re-evaluate my cleaning procedure...or get an armored vac! [wink]

So, no... I haven't

Offhand I can't remember of ever having one go off in a press but I have had them go off using a Lee Orginal Loader Kit AKA Slap chop loader. They always just made a bang with no damage. As I have nerves of steel I didn't even crap my pants, just laughed it off, and went on.

Years ago when we where moving must had a dozen or so primers fall into the carpet..... few days later the wife was vacuuming and hit a vain of them. They went off when they got sucked up.... a bit of dust out the ass end of the vacuum but no big deal really, sure got my attention though ....they where small pistol or rifle primers

Its only been about 8 years for me, but I have yet to have a primer ignite by any cause, press or vacuum. I usually sweep powder first, but I do vacuum after. Never burned down a vacuum.

I'm sure it could happen if you're using the same vacuum just for reloading. My vacuum gets the bag swapped at least once a month.

Its only been about 8 years for me, but I have yet to have a primer ignite by any cause, press or vacuum. I usually sweep powder first, but I do vacuum after. Never burned down a vacuum.

I'm sure it could happen if you're using the same vacuum just for reloading. My vacuum gets the bag swapped at least once a month.
Mother-in-law had one of the Rainbow vacuums (tank of water rather than bag or canister) that she couldn't get around with anymore. I use that to vacuum the area around the reloading bench. Before that, used an old metal barrel wet/dry vac and crossed my fingers.

If the vacuum doesn't have a power brush head and the vac has a bag and or filter there shouldn't be any issues. Simple dust can be ignited by a static electric discharge but you don't usually see it on a small scale. It'd be a concern in dust collection of metal shavings, sawdust, and also in grain elevators.

Back
Top Bottom