• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A Marine question

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Any of you Marines ever heard of Marines attending the Army Ranger School at Fort Benning?

I know they go to Fort Benning for Jump School, but I never heard of them going to the Ranger School.

Edit....Never mind, I got the answer already. Yes, they have....

Last edited:
Any of you Marines ever heard of Marines attending the Army Ranger School at Fort Benning?

I know they go to Fort Benning for Jump School, but I never heard of them going to the Ranger School.

Yup, any member of any service branch can attend Ranger school even allied foreign service members can attend.

This is correct. In fact, not just marines either. Air Force para rescue and combat controllers can go. Michael Murphy, MOH earner, Navy Seal and penn state grad, featured in the upcoming movie Lone Survivor, attend Ranger School. I think he may have been Distinguished a Honor Grad.

Never heard of Coast Guard attending.

Used to to be allied countries could attend as well.

Last edited:

I had a Recon Marine neighbor in Southie who graduated RS: he showed me his diploma. He used to give his buds a lot of shit because they would rank on the Army, while he said they kicked his ass. We had a group of USAF Security guys that started with my class, granted this was many moons ago.

I don't think they go to BAC but we had several SEALs in my jump school class. Don't know if that's still the case.

I had quite a few Marine student pilots when I was an instructor pilot in the Army's Flight School. They came to us sheepishly albeit knowing that they'd receive no better instruction and tactics anywhere else. Even kept in touch with a couple of my Marine students for years afterward.

Very common. Happens all the time at The Basic School at Quantico. Traditionally there are 2-3 quotas for each class out of the Infantry Officer's Course. The Infantry Officer's Course has gotten good enough, and tough enough, that by now there's probably not that much point in going on the Ranger School but it happens all the time.

By the way, there is a Marine in the Ranger School Hall of Fame. John Ripley, an extraordinary Marine officer awarded the Navy Cross for what he did at the bridge at Dong Ha in 1972, was inducted there. To the best of my knowledge, he is the only Marine bestowed that honor. He passed away within the past few years and his bio is here: http://www.forcerecon.com/ripley-rangerhof.htm

I had a Recon Marine neighbor in Southie who graduated RS: he showed me his diploma. He used to give his buds a lot of shit because they would rank on the Army, while he said they kicked his ass. We had a group of USAF Security guys that started with my class, granted this was many moons ago.

I don't think they go to BAC but we had several SEALs in my jump school class. Don't know if that's still the case.

Does that neighbor of yours live down on E street by 8th st? I always see a car with recon stickers on it parked down there.

Back
Top Bottom