• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A Marine in Delta Force receives the Navy Cross for Benghazi...

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
The Untold Heroism Behind a Marine's Secret Navy Cross from Benghazi
Minutes after Tate Jolly arrived at the diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, a mortar hit the compound where an ambassador and another American had been killed and dozens more were trapped.

The Marine gunnery sergeant was one of only two U.S. troops with a small task force that rushed to respond to what quickly became clear was a coordinated attack on the U.S. State Department facility.

It was a remarkable mission. The closest military backup was hours away, which later led to fierce debate about how U.S. troops should be postured to protect Americans and diplomatic posts overseas.

At this point, what difference does it make.

If you are asking in the Hilary Clinton sense of the question, it makes a YUGE difference.

Because it goes straight to the character (or lack thereof) of the leadership which failed to act while brave men and women were in danger. It's the type of character deficiency which can never get better or be explained away in front of a fawning, complicit news media. And we should keep reminding people about this until those unworthy participants are driven in shame from the public eye.

Movie is worth watching too. The actor who played the CIA station chief absolutely sold the role.

That would be David Costabile who seems to have a knack for that type of character. He also played the scummy ex-partner of Jessica Pearson in the very good TV series "Suits".

I wonder if Gunny Jolly had the choice between the Navy Cross (as a Marine) or the Distinguished Service Cross (because he was in an Army unit)?

I wonder if Gunny Jolly had the choice between the Navy Cross (as a Marine) or the Distinguished Service Cross (because he was in an Army unit)?

I would guess that the award recommendation would originate from the unit/service he was attached to but it would be up channeled through his parent service for approval and thus the award of the Navy Cross.

Nah.

His chain of command does what it does. He just drives on. He’s not given a choice in something like this.

In similar situations, guys used to get both. But that stopped after WWI.

I've seen soldiers wearing the 2nd Marine Division patch as their "combat patch" because they were assigned to that unit.
Marines don't get to wear unit insignia or patches on their uniforms.

Can a Marine get a CIB when under command of an Army unit that was awarded one for an action? I don't think so.

They’d get a combat action ribbon. Same criteria.

The Marines are leery about allowing lots of bright shiny things on uniforms. It’s rare for them to have as many badges as the other services do.

I hear they are easily distracted by shiny things and crayons that may be why.

A Marine earns the Navy Cross in combat and this is your contribution to the thread! I see why you only have 49 posts in ten years. Clearly you have nothing of value to say and absolutely no contribution to make to this particular thread. Causes me to wonder what your contribution to the defense of Benghazi would or wouldn't have been, if you were wearing Marine Corps. boots that day in Benghazi.

Last edited:
Anyone that hasnt watched the movie "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" yet really needs to make it a priority

Fair warning though......you better be prepared to get mad......really f***ing raging mad about how Oblunder/Clinton betrayal of our people and how they hung our people out to dry HOPING that none of them would make it back to tell the story of the Oblunder administrations betrayal/eff up

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJBuUwd0Os

Well. Crap. I guess I'm gonna have to go watch it again.

It's right up there next to Where Eagles Dare for me. And Dirty Dozen.

A Marine earns the Navy Cross in combat and this is your contribution to the thread! I see why you only have 49 posts in ten years. Clearly you have nothing of value to say and absolutely no contribution to make to this particular thread. Causes me to wonder what your contribution to the defense of Benghazi would or wouldn't have been, if you were wearing Marine Corps. boots that day in Benghazi.
M60, I can certainly understand your umbrage at Robbie's comment, but there has been a huge misunderstanding and it's not your fault.
Robbie is a very good friend of mine.
He is a retired Chief Fire Control Man of the Submarine Service during the height of the Cold War years. He's been places and done things that he's still not able to talk about.
Robbie is a serious student of history, an excellent shooter and a skilled outdoorsman.
I'm a Marine and he's a sailor; his comment was a good-natured, inter-service ribbing directed at me.
Please don't take his infrequent participation on this forum or his out of context comment as a slight against the heroes of Benghazi (as easy as that is to do).

Robbie on the right. (Can anyone guess who that is in the background?)
Andy and Robbie VTAC Streetfighter.jpg
Robbie on the left.
DSCF0599.JPG

Last edited:
M60, I can certainly understand your umbrage at Robbie's comment, but there has been a huge misunderstanding and it's not your fault.
Robbie is a very good friend of mine.
He is a retired Chief Fire Control Man of the Submarine Service during the height of the Cold War years. He's been places and done things that he's still not able to talk about.
Robbie is a serious student of history, an excellent shooter and skilled outdoorsman.
I'm a Marine and he's a sailor; his comment was a good-natured, inter-service ribbing directed at me.
Please don't take his infrequent participation on this forum or his out of context comment as a slight against the heroes of Benghazi (as easy as that is to do).

Robbie on the right. (Can anyone guess who that is in the background?)
View attachment 306473
Robbie on the left.
View attachment 306475

You got it bother. Semper Fi.

I think Andy exagerated my shooting and outdoor skills. The two Delta/Unit/CAG Operators where poorly portrayed in the movie and book. If you have had any dealings with those guys from that outfit you know that. As far as my respect/admiration for Marines go well you have to know me. The one adult who mentored me as a 14/15 yr old was an old Marine probably 22/23 years old served in the Fighting 5th in the RVN going to UMaine on the GI Bill. Several former Marines who became Submariners/shipmates in the 70's because the Marines didn't have room for VN era grunts . Mike Church who had 3 Purple Hearts one from Hue gave me one of the best compliments when I successfully completed SCUBA school NEC 5345 in 76. That meant more to me than any other award/comment I received in my 22 yrs in submarines. Yeah my post count is low. I usally don't have much to add and when i do it seems to be misconstrued. Happened alot in bars too,go figure. Best

Every time I read something else about Benghazi I am more in awe of the men who responded and persevered in that brutal fight.

And I get more pissed at Obama and Hilary for their failure to act.
Not quite as bad as Reagan's blunder that cost over 241 of my brothers lives in 83. He never got nor owned the blame for that mission although we went under his direct orders of Peacekeepers with a bullsh%t Rules of Engagement Card nor did we avenge or counter is any way, we just left our brothers in pieces there. To add insult to injury it is now celebrated victory site of the Iranian backed sect responsible for the bombing. Where ever Reagan is I hope he's getting his ass kicked by a few 1/8 Marines and Sailors

Not quite as bad as Reagan's blunder that cost over 241 of my brothers lives in 83. He never got nor owned the blame for that mission although we went under his direct orders of Peacekeepers with a bullsh%t Rules of Engagement Card nor did we avenge or counter is any way, we just left our brothers in pieces there. To add insult to injury it is now celebrated victory site of the Iranian backed sect responsible for the bombing. Where ever Reagan is I hope he's getting his ass kicked by a few 1/8 Marines and Sailors

Did you join NES just to piss on Reagan?

Back
Top Bottom