• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A lot of questions on building an AR

Having said that, I've not used any other high quality aftermarket triggers, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

I have two triggers that I paid more for than my Giselle (1 Jewell and 1 accuracy speaks) Giselle just might be my favorite all around trigger. Jewell is a better BR trigger because it is adjustable six ways from sunday, but for any other application I like the Giselle.

You could call it bolt rifle.......I don't see semi auto rifles doing to well in bench matches...maybe in the hunting or sporting class. There's a few guys at my club who shoot unlimitted.....basically a 20lb plus barrel glued to axblock of wood

Not all BR rifles are ungodly conglomerations. While not a true BR rifle by any means, it shoots sub MOA and looks damn sexy doing it.[smile]

I Started out with a well used 1937 Czechoslovakian VZ-24 (Large ring Mauser)

I blueprinted the bolt and receiver and mated it to a Numrich trapdoor trigger guard assembly. Then I inlet it and pillar bedded it into a Boyd's laminate stock.
I re-chambered it to .308 Win. using a 22" Shilen #5 contour barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. I cut off the straight bolt handle and fabricated one of my own.
I drilled, tapped and installed a one piece scope rail, then assembled it using a Bold Optimal trigger, a Titanium firing pin with a speedlock spring and a sporter bolt shroud.
I finished it off by adding a grip cap, recoil pad and swivels to the stock.

Attachments

• mauserR.jpg
    mauserR.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 35
Not all BR rifles are ungodly conglomerations. While not a true BR rifle by any means, it shoots sub MOA and looks damn sexy doing it.[smile]

I Started out with a well used 1937 Czechoslovakian VZ-24 (Large ring Mauser)

I blueprinted the bolt and receiver and mated it to a Numrich trapdoor trigger guard assembly. Then I inlet it and pillar bedded it into a Boyd's laminate stock.
I re-chambered it to .308 Win. using a 22" Shilen #5 contour barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. I cut off the straight bolt handle and fabricated one of my own.
I drilled, tapped and installed a one piece scope rail, then assembled it using a Bold Optimal trigger, a Titanium firing pin with a speedlock spring and a sporter bolt shroud.
I finished it off by adding a grip cap, recoil pad and swivels to the stock.

Nice... do you participate in bench matches with this and what class would that be in... buddy of mine just built a heavy varmint in 6mm something? Ways 13lbs!
His is butt ugly though....heavy painted slab of a stock.

Nope, no organized competition, just bragging rights at the club. I really just built it for a change of pace from the type of rifles I normally build.

Nope, no organized competition, just bragging rights at the club. I really just built it for a change of pace from the type of rifles I normally build.
Very good, When I hear bench rest I think of the above..... shooting from a bench is not the same[wink]. I look at some of these bench rest guns in awe sometimes.
that said my "bench/Varmint" rifle will do. Pleased with close to 1moa with hornady bulk 55 fmj and W844 powder shows great promise for my rifle.

I messed up the labeling at the range...I dont even have 846! we where talking about it though.... Also wrote 69gn instead of 55s. I had like 10 groups on the target board and messed up my notes from the bench.

10 shots single load took about 12 mintes

Last edited:
Finally got around to putting my lower together, basic lower parts kit, but put a magpul grip, and Magpul PRS stock along with A CMC single stage match trigger. The upper will have to wait a bit.

just got an LPK. It is packed with some kind of goop. I assume to prevent rusting. Should I give the parts a wash with brake-leen or something?

just got an LPK. It is packed with some kind of goop. I assume to prevent rusting. Should I give the parts a wash with brake-leen or something?

I'm no expert, but mine came dry, and I installed everything dry and it all runs just fine.

If those parts were goopy/slippery I would have lost some springs and pins for sure when they slipped out of my fingers/pliers.

The LPKs that I have received from a variety of vendors have all come with a tacky substance all over them. I've cleaned them with a good grease remover then lubed as necessary.

Thanks guys. I think i will clean them and lube accordingly. And i was thinking the same thing that if they were slippery I would be buying another parts kit...lol. I know I would lose pieces...

Watch out for the pivot detent. Mine went flying once, I searched for it for a half hour then gave up. When I got off the floor I saw stars in my left eye. When it went flying and hit my face it didn't bounce onto the floor, it had gotten stuck in my tear duct in the bottom corner of my eye...

Watch out for the pivot detent. Mine went flying once, I searched for it for a half hour then gave up. When I got off the floor I saw stars in my left eye. When it went flying and hit my face it didn't bounce onto the floor, it had gotten stuck in my tear duct in the bottom corner of my eye...

1/4" clevis pin helps installing the pivot pin and detent. You can insert the detent, push it into it's hole, rotate the clevis pin 90 degrees and push it out of the way with the pivot pin you're installing. Sofa king easy even a cave man could do it.

1/4" clevis pin helps installing the pivot pin and detent. You can insert the detent, push it into it's hole, rotate the clevis pin 90 degrees and push it out of the way with the pivot pin you're installing. Sofa king easy even a cave man could do it.

Awesome idea. For the ar-15's it is pretty easy to line everything up and then press it down using the pivot and slide it in. The 308 was tougher because the pin goes through the upper. Either way, just make sure your eyes are there to catch any flying parts.

75 gn amax.jpg I got out last weekend in that nice windy rainy day.
with my Wilson Arms match barrel wylder chambered "varmint" build I pulled a shot high to ruin a good group. I reserved a few of my Amax loads for some stray pumpkins trying to get back to the patch.

Still need to find some time to find a sub 1" load that feeds from the mag.

Last edited:
Finished my AR took it to the range today, first few rounds no problem. After that it became a bolt action rifle. It would fire, eject the case but not strip a round from the mag. tried 3 different mags same thing. I was using American eagle 55 gr, and Lake city arsenal 62 gr green tip. what should I be looking for? will post pics of the rifle later.

Finished my AR took it to the range today, first few rounds no problem. After that it became a bolt action rifle. It would fire, eject the case but not strip a round from the mag. tried 3 different mags same thing. I was using American eagle 55 gr, and Lake city arsenal 62 gr green tip. what should I be looking for? will post pics of the rifle later.

Did you assemble the upper yourself, or buy one already done? Sounds like it's short stroking, which (I believe) indicates an issue with the gas block or tube. Check to make sure the gas block is tight to the barrel, and hasn't moved. If you can, try the upper on another known good lower. If the upper was assembled by others, what BCG did you pick/get??

What did you end up with for a upper.
Few things I learned. working muzzle back
1. gas tube are you sure its lined up and pinned....yes I forgot to pin one.
2. gas block shift....
3. gas key loose
4. what do you have for buffer tube, tube, and spring.
I tried cheating and useing the short buffer (H2 @ 5oz) with rifle length spring.
rifle is about 12" carbine is 10". It would not function 100% all the time.
5. incorrect lube, to much or lack of.

I bought the complete upper from Armalite, there target model heavy 20" stainless barrel Wylde chamber, the lower I built, will check a few things tonight thanks,

? IMG_0156.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

mac1911 are you shooting at Old Colony tomorrow? IMG_0156.jpg Here it is I cleaned it up some more, blew out the gas tube we will try it again tomorrow

No shooting for me until next year unless daughter wants to go.
What are you running for buffer tube/buffer/spring.
I don't hear much about problems with armalite. If the gas block didnt shift and the gas tube and gas key are secure the bolt is not traveling far enough back.
If gas system is in check look to mechanical. something dragging in the bolt carrier area. I had a primer pop out and it got hung up in between the bolt and receiver rail. drove me nuts. I couldn't see it until I got home.

One thing I always need to ask. Did you clean the upper and lower completely? The stuff they ship the parts with oz not lube. Its a rust prohibiter. it can get pretty gunky quick.
I don't know if they send a manual with the upper but page 49 gives trouble shooting tips.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom