• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A little nostalgia (long & sappy)

The Goose

NES Member
Last night I was sitting on my front porch having a cocktail and smoking a cigar and I got to thinking about stuff that was long forgotten. I grew up in a small rural town in MA in the 50’s and early 60’s. Recreation consisted largely of hunting and fishing. We lived outside of town and we did not play much sports. A fellow was mostly judged on his ability to hunt and fish or maybe handle dogs. I loved guns. I read everything I could lay my hands on about them. I had a .22 and some old military rifles. I would shoot as much as I could afford and take apart and put together the old military rifles.

Once when I was in the 7th. Grade another kid had an old rifle that he wanted to sell me. It was a Swiss Vetterli, a .41 rimfire with a tubular magazine. After school I went over to his house and bought it for $5. I earned the $5 from selling eggs that came from the chickens that had been my payment for shoveling out old man Hutchinson’s driveways and walkways for an entire winter (a prodigious task). After I cut my deal I shouldered my prize and began the 5 mile walk home. I walked right through the center of town with that rifle over my shoulder. As I passed the junior high school that I attended I noticed Mr. Bramhall, the history teacher’s, car in the lot. I knew Mr. Bramhall liked to shoot and we often talked about guns so I walked into the school and found him in his classroom. He examined my treasure with some delight and we discussed it’s history and design. Then I was off towards home. About a mile from my house some guy pulled up and offered me a ride. He asked if I had been hunting and I told him about my new rifle. He dropped me at our drive.

Another time in the 8th. Grade we had to do a public speaking thing in English class. We had to get up in front of the class and talk about something that we did, like a hobby. Also we could use props to demonstrate. At the time I had an old French single shot bolt action rifle in 8mm Lebel that was stamped 1866. I was stripping and refinishing the stock and making some minor repairs. I disassembled it, wrapped it in a sheet tied with string and brought it in as part of my presentation. In front of the class I opened up the bundle and assembled the rifle, explaining how it functioned and what I was doing to it. I got an A for my presentation. Of course I wish I still had that rifle and I wish that I had not desecrated it so. Oh well.

In today’s world it is hard to believe that the above ever happened. Everything has changed since then and not much for the better. I had completely forgotten about both of those incidents and I am not sure why they surfaced. However, remembering them has triggered a whole flood of memories from a bygone time. Today, even in the most rural areas I doubt one could bring a gun into a school. At the time guns were a natural part of life. Folks were comfortable with them. A kid carrying a gun was likely a good kid going squirrel hunting and not a hoodlum or gang banger. Interesting!

I grew up in a pretty large town, pop. 86000, pretty close to NYC. Not rural at all, pretty much all suburbs. We never got hassled carrying a cased rifle to or from a friends house. This was late '70s early '80s.

I'll admit that we probably would not have been able to bring one into school for a presentation. :D But nobody blinked an eye while a couple of 15 yo kids were obviously carrying rifles down the neighborhood street. Try doing that in New Jersey today! [shock]

I went to public high school in Watertown Ma. from 1973-75. As I was already into competition shooting, I got on the rifle team. Believe it or not there was a Middlesex Scholastic Rifle League. We practiced at the National Guard armory once a week and had a match once a week. Other teams in the league that I can recall were Waltham, Concord, Braintree, Acton, Malden and a few others that I can't remeber.
Can you imagine a dozen or so high school kids in a bus, one coach, a driver, real rifles and real ammo. NOTHING bad ever happened.
I don't know when the league got disbanded but why can't they offer such a thing today? Just kind of blows my mind I guess......

Nice story.

My dad grew up in Philadelphia in the 1930s. I recall his stories of him and his buddy bringing their rifles and shotguns and taking the train to Chester and getting the engineer to stop in the middle of a big forest to let them out, where they would hunt all day.

My old Man grew up in Presqueisle Maine, and his driving instructor used to take the class on the back roads (not that there're any traffic on main street 8) ) and he used to have his shotgun on his lap in the backseat incase they jumped a deer 8)

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Yea, I grew up in Louisville, KY and Kenner, LA. It was nothing for us to be walking around with a BB gun or a .22. Never had a problem.

Hell, for that matter, when I was in High School, we moved from Kenner to Memphis. We lived in a pretty populated town called Germantown. We had a good part of woods behind our little neighbor hood with the Wolf River in there. It was nothing to see us walking down the road with our .22s into the woods. People would wave, never had an issue.

Now, I'm sure that growing up in the south has somehting to do with it, as I'm only 34. But still...I'm sure that in that same town now, we would get a visit from the cops if we walked down the road with a rifle.

C-pher said:
Yea, I grew up in Louisville, KY and Kenner, LA. It was nothing for us to be walking around with a BB gun or a .22.

Just out of curiousity, when you went shooting that .22, did you wear ear & eye protection? Just wondering.

dwarven1 said:
C-pher said:
Yea, I grew up in Louisville, KY and Kenner, LA. It was nothing for us to be walking around with a BB gun or a .22.

Just out of curiousity, when you went shooting that .22, did you wear ear & eye protection? Just wondering.

Well, I did wear glasses, because I already wore them...but I can't say that I had in plugs.

C-pher said:
Well, I did wear glasses, because I already wore them...but I can't say that I had in plugs.

Eh? What's that you say? :D

As I said, I was just wondering.

I'm trying to think back to Timberlake Camp, when I learned to shoot a rifle at the tender age of 13, and I just do not remember if they gave us muffs or not. I'm sure that they didn't give us safety glasses, as since I wore glasses already I'd think that as the know-it-all little snot that I was I'd have said something like "But I'm already wearing them!" But I just cannot remember if they gave us muffs or not. I don't think so, though.

'Bout all I remember about that was that we used single-shot bolt-action .22's. Couldn't tell you what brand it was, though.

Back
Top Bottom