• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A little help from the NES Brain trust.

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
As I mentioned in quite a few other threads, my Great-grandfather was a rare breed of man. He started what would be considered an ROTC program while at Phillips Exeter Academy in 1916, buying the uniforms, drill rifles, and Target rifles out of his allowance. ($54.65 for Two Dozen uniforms, a bunch of drill rifles, and a few functional ones)

He later served in the Army, retiring as a Lt Col, having commanded a Shore Battery Division during WWII.

He was also an accomplishment engineer with Consolidated Edison, and ran their returning veterans program.

The help I am looking for is trying to sort out what he would have owned for a personal handgun.

I found his 1945 License from New York, and am hoping I can get some help sorting out what his handgun was.

It was a .38 caliber Colt, seemingly an Automatic, with potentially a stupidly low serial number.

IMG_20170714_222628.jpg

IMG_20170714_222637.jpg

Any thoughts or insight?

Reading the back of his license, the word "PISTOL" appears to be crossed out. Looks like it was a REVOLVER to me.

Now, if I am correct, most of the three-digit serial numbers (with no letter prefix) appear to date back to the early 1900's.

Without more information, a Police Positive or Police Positive Special, maybe an Officers Model from about 1930.

Need more information (which you probably don't have) to be any more specific.

NY was issuing licenses like that until not to many years ago. I moved from Rochester, NY in 1987 and my NY license looked pretty much like that, except the paper was light blue. I believe they have switched to plastic cards.

nice piece of family history. got a chuckle out the line "invalid in the city of new york" even 70 years ago NYC was anti gun.

Back
Top Bottom