• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A little help for a noob...

OCB

Hi Folks,
I got my technician and general license within the last month, and my HT finally arrived yesterday. I ended up getting a Baofeng UV 82 because I wanted something inexpensive to start off with so that I can learn what sorts of features are important/useful and get some practice before spending the money on a better radio. Anyway, I spent a good part of last night figuring out how to program the radio on CHIRP, what all of the options mean, etc. etc. I *think* I have everything set up properly to be able to access repeaters. I'm able to get NOAA stations and hear the Newton fire/police repeater when there is activity. I'm pretty sure I even successfully hit a repeater in Newton because I received what I think were 'roger' beeps. However, I believe that I should be able to hit the Waltham repeater (146.640) as I live in West Newton, but I can't confirm if I have or not. I definitely haven't gotten any 'roger' beeps, nor have I heard any other traffic. I have my radio set for both transmit and receive CTCSS on that particular repeater based on the New England Repeater Directory.
I was hoping that someone who can hit the repeater would be willing to listen for me at an arranged time this weekend (or Friday). I despise crowds and shopping, so there's no way in hell I'm going out tomorrow [smile].

Thanks,
Jeremy

OCB congrats on the ticket. This hobby is one of the best next to firearms. 2 meter 440 is a good band to start out with but with a Tech you can use HF on 6m and 10m thats a blast. Do you have the repeater shift on ( - )?

OCB congrats on the ticket. This hobby is one of the best next to firearms. 2 meter 440 is a good band to start out with but with a Tech you can use HF on 6m and 10m thats a blast. Do you have the repeater shift on ( - )?
Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting more into it during the winter when my range time drops off. Yes, I am pretty sure I have the repeater shift on, but maybe I'll spend some time today trying a few different programming permutations to see if I've done something wrong.

OCB, I think the Waltham machine is down. I can hit it but I just thew my call sign and "testing" and the repeater didn't respond.
Interesting - maybe that means I'm not a complete idiot [laugh]. Thanks for the heads-up. I was able to hit the Weston repeater and get a response, so I think I'm programming the repeaters correctly. Now it's just a matter of figuring out the range of my little radio.
Thanks!

Waltham 2 meter machine has been having troubles but you can probably hit the 70cm repeater
449.075 with a minus offset and a tone of 88.5

Back
Top Bottom