• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A&J's in Housatonic has terrible customer service!

exo

Update post #13

So, I've been a fan of A&J's in Housatonic for awhile now. I've told plenty of people about the shop, I've spent literally thousands of dollars there. Everything has been fine... until now.

I went there last Thursday (1/10) to buy some powder and I saw that they were selling Bond Arms derringer frames and barrels. I was intrigued and went back on Saturday (1/12) to check them out further. I ended up buying a frame and two barrels (a short one in .357 Magnum and a long one in .45 LC / .410). One thing that annoyed me is that they would NOT do the 4473 unless I provided my SSN. I've never had a problem with it before, and they outright refused to even try it unless I provided it. Wanting the gun, I went ahead with it against my better judgement. Still, I'm excited about my purchase and rush home to put it together.

I find that not one but BOTH barrels will not lock up properly to the frame. I had cleaned & oiled the frame and barrels prior even attempting assembly. For those of you not familiar with these guns, there is a lever on the left side of the frame for releasing the barrel. According to the Bond Arms manual, this should be roughly parallel to the barrel. The lever will not go anywhere near parallel, and I didn't want to force anything. This isn't even an issue of custom fitting -- Bond sells barrels on their website, and they advertise that you can use any of their barrels in any of their models.

So, I call A&J's up to inquire (this is around ~1:40p, they close at 2). They recommended that I come back in to the shop on Tuesday. Fast forward to today. I go in the shop and wait for Pete to finish with the customer he was checking out. After that he takes a look at my frame and barrels. He gets it to lock up by really forcing the barrels down and the lever up. He acknowledges that it is very tight and suggests that it will probably wear in with use. That may or may not be true, but I'm pretty sure the gun isn't supposed to be like this. The conversation goes poorly from here (paraphrased):

Me: Well, it seems like it shouldn't be that tight out of the box.

Pete: Call Bond about it.

Me: Yeah, well, I -just- bought this on Saturday and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

Pete: Call Bond.

Me: Can't we exchange it? I haven't fired it-

Pete: It's not new anymore. It's registered to you. We'd have to do the 4473 again and all that

Me: It hasn't been fired since it left the factory. Can't you sign it back in to your books and transfer a different frame to me?

etc. It goes on like this for a couple minutes, Pete insisting that they can't do anything about it. Then Joe chimes in and tells Pete to stop talking to me about it. At that point I leave since it is clear that they are not going to be helpful.

Now I'm home and I've tried to replicate what they did in the store, but it still doesn't lock up properly. The lever can be forced, with a lot of effort, to be roughly parallel to the barrel/frame but then it's a bitch to get it released again. The bottom line is that it is not functioning properly.

I understand that, yes, this is a problem with Bond and warranty service should cover getting it repaired. What really torques me up about it though is just how poorly I was treated. I've spent thousands of dollars in this shop, I've told a bunch of people to shop there, even posted here on NES recommending that people go and shop there. The attitude I got from them was largely one of, "Why are you bothering us with this?".

I could understand if I had fired the gun or something, but it wasn't even safe to do so with the barrels not locking up. It wasn't even an option. And I had -just- bought this on Saturday, and here we are on Tuesday and I basically get told to go F myself. I thought that they'd take it upon themselves to take the defective frame back and they send it back to Bond for repair or replacement, and to transfer me a working frame, considering that it was still brand new, unfired, and I had -just- bought it at the most recent day they were open (they are only open Tues, Thurs, and Sat).

Am I out of line here? Would any of you sell someone a defective product, and when the customer comes back a couple days later, shrug and punt them off to the manufacturer? Or in this case, go beyond mere indifference and even have hostility towards the customer for trying to exchange it for something that does work?

So, now I get to call Bond and be without my JUST PURCHASED 4 days ago new gun, not even fired once, for who knows how long. I can honestly say that I'm never shopping there again. I'm told that they run this shop as a hobby, and it shows. It's not just bad customer service, there is no customer service.

Sorry for the wordiness, but I'm pissed. [/rant]

Last edited:
I wonder if they'd be that cavalier if it weren't for the current gun and stuff buying frenzy? Not familiar with the shop of those who run it but from the sounds of things they're not standing behind what they sell. They might change their tune once this madness recedes. In the meantime, looks like you're on your own for this situation. Good luck to you.

I hope peter and read this. The store has been going down a sad slippery shitty slope since the renovations. Poor attitudes, poor pricing etc. No one is gonna pay 549 for a beat 5906 smith and wesson. Bad business.

I had high hopes for A&J...It was refreshing to see a myriad of rifles, shoguns, handguns and reloading supplies under one roof - in Western Massachusetts no less. My first visit there was prior to the renovations. They were packed in like sardines above their liquor store. There were a few people at the counter, 'shooting the bull' when I walked in. I was not greeted, or even acknowledged in any way and I was there for 20 minutes and was never asked if I needed help. I bought a can of M855, was handed my receipt - no "thank you" - nada. My next return was following the renovation and my customer service experience, (or lack, was identical). It's obvious that A&J could care less about customer service - this really feels like a "hey we have guns and are open a few hours a week, so deal with shitty customer service or leave" kind of store...After what's happened to exodious, I have zero reason to ever go back - which will be just fine for 'A&J's Hobby World'... the sad thing is, that if you sucked up their inventory - even their location, and added regular hours and people behind the counter who believe in earning business and combining it it customer service - you'd have one helluva a shop...

That sucks. It seems like maybe they should have at least showed you how it worked before you left the first time? Nearly every gun I've bought new the dealer gives the basics walk though and you would think during that they would have noticed the problem. Even if I think I *know* all there is to know about a gun I check my ego and listen.

Secondly, I hate that attitude that they take no responsibility. They made a profit off the firearm and while they didn't cause the problem they bear some responsibility to make the deal whole again. Just my opinion--I don't know what disclaimer they make for a sale. The least they could have done is called the manufacturer on your behalf and offered to facilitate the shipping etc., back to them.

Sounds like they offered you nothing. It's not too late for them to make it right. Right? [wave]

This is the place with the big sign out front that warns "no loaded guns" in the store, right?

Good to see that the Gun Room in Shrewsbury has some competition!

Screw 'em - go elsewhere. When things calm down they'll be in the correct economic position for their level of customer service.

Oh and by the way: Taking a gun back is not a huge deal. We have a 'no returns' policy on firearms, but still - defective guns happen and in that instance we will take it back. Ive done it at least a half dozen times. Is it a hassle? Not really. Inconvenience perhaps, (more paperwork), but nothing even remotely close to mind numbing. It's called customer service. A&J sold a defective firearm - period. Then allegedly advised a paying customer - with a well paying history I might add, to operate the firearm in a potentially hazardous manner. That's no small potatoes - this is not a defective teddy bear. If that's not something approaching negligence, I don't know what is...

Oh and by the way: Taking a gun back is not a huge deal. We have a 'no returns' policy on firearms, but still - defective guns happen and in that instance we will take it back. Ive done it at least a half dozen times. Is it a hassle? Not really. Inconvenience perhaps, (more paperwork), but nothing even remotely close to mind numbing. It's called customer service. A&J sold a defective firearm - period. Then allegedly advised a paying customer - with a well paying history I might add, to operate the firearm in a potentially hazardous manner. That's no small potatoes - this is not a defective teddy bear. If that's not something approaching negligence, I don't know what is...

So, A&J doesn't live up to Dicks Sporting Goods customer service standards. [hmmm] That takes effort, and as MassMark said earlier is truly unfortunate. Not that many shops around, and damn few good ones.

I had a similar experiance when I went in looking for some reloading supplies. Basically got the same treatment as the other guys have said, but at the time I shrugged it off to them just having a bad day. I guess every day is a bad bay for them. No real need for me to return after the other horror stories have been shared.

Well, I just got off the phone with a tech from Bond Arms. He said that what I should be doing is to install the barrel and flick my hand down sharply to get the barrel to snap in, and to do this several times until it will close easily. He said that when they're assembling guns in the factory they do this repeatedly as part of the fitting process. He suggested I start with the longer barrel because it will shut with more force than the smaller one. When it is seated right, he said approximately 2/3rds or so of a pin in the frame near the release lever would be covered by the lever.

I find myself wondering why they do not mention this in the manual.

He said to call them back if that does not resolve the problem.

So it would seem that A&J's did not sell me a defective frame as I had originally thought, but I am still extremely put off by how they handled the situation. It really wouldn't have been that hard to approach this with a little more tact and consideration.

EXODIOUS, I was an innocent bystander to the entire conversation, you are making it sound like the guy you were talikng to, Peter, would not help you. That is not the case at all. If you are going to bash someone give all the facts. You are not being fair. Peter offered to send the frame and barrel back to Bond for you. You demanded a replacement on the spot. Peter tried to explain you the warranty is coverered by the manufacturer, and either you could contact them or he offered to do it. That was not good enough for you, you kept demanding a replacement. Peter explained that the serrial number had been Registered to you an it could not be returned like a bottle of soda.

After Peter explained the same thing to you for the third time, Joe said to you the same thing, "the manufacturer warranties the product, either we can call them for you and facilitate the return and arrange for repair or you can."

Now when Peter closed the barrell it did close snug, but not as you describe.

That is how it went. Honestly you were the one that was out of line, the shop was packed and you were acting like a spoiled rotted kid not getting you way. The two guys next to me also heard the entire conversation and they both said you were acting like a Jerk. On of them said they seen you do the same thing up at Pete's. Now that about Pete's is second hand information, I was not there. If it were me behind the counter, I wouldn't be welcoming you back.

They asked me for my SS# and the guy infront of me too when they were filing the 4473, they explained, they have been going through quickly when the SS# is provided. Joe was doing the 4473 stuff and told me that the last 2 entered without a SS# were placed on a 3 day hold. Joe said it was my choice, I elected to give it and he did not even write it on the form. Again, seeing you deminor i would bet money you were the issue.

The shop was full of people and everyone else appeared to be real pleased. I have bought a few guns from these guys and they are great, even the old guy that walks around talking to everyone. What you started here is not fair, you should grow-up.

EXODIOUS, I was an innocent bystander to the entire conversation, you are making it sound like the guy you were talikng to, Peter, would not help you. That is not the case at all. If you are going to bash someone give all the facts. You are not being fair. Peter offered to send the frame and barrel back to Bond for you. You demanded a replacement on the spot. Peter tried to explain you the warranty is coverered by the manufacturer, and either you could contact them or he offered to do it. That was not good enough for you, you kept demanding a replacement. Peter explained that the serrial number had been Registered to you an it could not be returned like a bottle of soda.

As I said, I paraphrased. But so are you - he further went on to say something to the effect of billing me for his time for that service.

I didn't demand anything, I was asking if they would extend me the courtesy of signing the still new, unfired, (and as I thought, turns out mistakenly) bad frame back into their shop and they send it to bond, and transfer me another one. As MassMark pointed out, it's nowhere near as complicated as they were making it out to be.

After Peter explained the same thing to you for the third time, Joe said to you the same thing, "the manufacturer warranties the product, either we can call them for you and facilitate the return and arrange for repair or you can."

It's not even about who is ultimately responsible for the product, it was about their attitude. I felt that they were very rude and didn't want to deal with it. There are plenty of other shops out there who would have handled it better.

Now when Peter closed the barrell it did close snug, but not as you describe.

Seriously dude? As it stands right now (I have not done the barrel flick yet as per Bond's suggestion), you have to FORCE the barrel shut. The lever will not go anywhere near parallel as is designed. You haven't held it or tried. Did you see how hard Pete was pushing on the thing?

That is how it went. Honestly you were the one that was out of line, the shop was packed and you were acting like a spoiled rotted kid not getting you way. The two guys next to me also heard the entire conversation and they both said you were acting like a Jerk. On of them said they seen you do the same thing up at Pete's. Now that about Pete's is second hand information, I was not there. If it were me behind the counter, I wouldn't be welcoming you back.

I don't know who these people are or who they thought I was, but I haven't been to Pete's in Adams in years.

They asked me for my SS# and the guy infront of me too when they were filing the 4473, they explained, they have been going through quickly when the SS# is provided. Joe was doing the 4473 stuff and told me that the last 2 entered without a SS# were placed on a 3 day hold. Joe said it was my choice, I elected to give it and he did not even write it on the form. Again, seeing you deminor i would bet money you were the issue.

On Saturday they point blank refused to do the transaction unless I provided my SSN. On the 4473 it says that it is optional, and I had told them that I've never been delayed or denied for not providing it.

The shop was full of people and everyone else appeared to be real pleased. I have bought a few guns from these guys and they are great, even the old guy that walks around talking to everyone. What you started here is not fair, you should grow-up.

My experience and that of some others who have posted here is that at best they are very curt, and at worst as I have described.

See now your bashing Bond, Grow up!!!!

Is suggesting that they add this critical information to their manual a bad thing? How the hell am I bashing them?

Last edited:
One question, would he have let you put the barrels on the frame before you purchased it?

One question, would he have let you put the barrels on the frame before you purchased it?

I honestly don't know, I didn't ask. Bond sells barrels directly off of their website and doesn't mention anything about going through a fitting process, so I had assumed they designed it to be 100% drop in.

Let me ask VeryHighPower a question here: Are you Joe or Pete? Every single post you have here on NES mentions A&J's and what a great shop they are.

highly doubt it. i asked to take down or have a pistol taken down for inspection and for knowledge before purchasing...the answer was "uhhh no, you can do what ever you want with it after you buy it"

**** all that noise, these are guns not ****ing tied in toys like toys r us.

I honestly don't know, I didn't ask. Bond sells barrels directly off of their website and doesn't mention anything about going through a fitting process, so I had assumed they designed it to be 100% drop in.

Your use of the word "Dude" paints a clear picture of your demeanor. To answer your question, not in the least "DUDE" not even related. This store has taken good care of me, I have spent over 10k in the past 2 years. I want the readers to know this is a good fun shop, and there are people like you in every croud. I found this store from a recommendation on this site and drive 45 minutes to get there. A young "DUDE" like your self will realize some day, treat people like you want to be treated. You arrogant attitude claiming you are an engineer was a turn-off in you discussion with Peter. I am done chatting with you, my point is clear your posting on that shop Is not true. Good luck to you kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me ask VeryHighPower a question here: Are you Joe or Pete? Every single post you have here on NES mentions A&J's and what a great shop they are.

Your use of the word "Dude" paints a clear picture of your demeanor. To answer your question, not in the least "DUDE" not even related. This store has taken good care of me, I have spent over 10k in the past 2 years. I want the readers to know this is a good fun shop, and there are people like you in every croud. I found this store from a recommendation on this site and drive 45 minutes to get there. A young "DUDE" like your self will realize some day, treat people like you want to be treated. You arrogant attitude claiming you are an engineer was a turn-off in you discussion with Peter. I am done chatting with you, my point is clear your posting on that shop Is not true. Good luck to you kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse me? You're outing yourself now. I never once mentioned being an engineer. It sounds like Joe or Pete looking up past FA-10's from buying there and reading the line where it says "Engineer" under employment.

I find it suspect that you come on NES only to post about A&J's.

You're either Joe, Pete, or Dick. C'mon, just admit it.

Last edited:
Just an additional update for anybody who cares: Bond's advice works. After flipping (really, slamming) the barrel shut repeatedly it now locks up a lot easier.

Here's my (retro)perspective:
Maybe I should have called Bond first, I don't know. But when you buy a gun, you generally expect it to work out of the box. If it doesn't work, my expectation was that the gun shop would resolve it -- either by exchanging it or by sending it back to the manufacturer (which to A&J's credit they did offer but by the time that happened I was so steamed that I just wanted to leave). For a gun that was purchased one day, and then brought back to the shop literally the next day they were open without it being fired, I didn't think that an exchange was that much to ask. I guess it speaks to whether a shop stands behind the products they sell, or not.

It seems like you might have caught the shop at a bad time. With the recent rush on firearms shops have been balls to the wall. That isn't an excuse for bad customer service but could be a reason. I can imagine most shops aren't used to running at such a frantic pace for so long. Hope this was just an isolated incident. Never been to A&J. Just offering my opinion.

It seems like you might have caught the shop at a bad time. With the recent rush on firearms shops have been balls to the wall. That isn't an excuse for bad customer service but could be a reason. I can imagine most shops aren't used to running at such a frantic pace for so long. Hope this was just an isolated incident. Never been to A&J. Just offering my opinion.

As much as I, and a few other gents have pointed out, we have received poor customer service from them well prior to the recent run on guns and ammunition. I was refered to them, because of their selection of reloading supplies. I myself question if this is a man-o-pause issue or not. Not sure I'm interested in giving them another shot either.

This is obviously a shill account. Every one of these 14 posts has him tugging away at A@J's johnson. And then lies about any sort of connection. You mods need to ban this clown..

This is obviously a shill account. Every one of these 14 posts has him tugging away at A@J's johnson. And then lies about any sort of connection. You mods need to ban this clown..

If its not a shill account - I'd like to know how someone not affiliated behind the counter at A&J's got access to exodius' MIRCS/LTC information. Exodius stated that he did not share verbally with anyone at A&J the information that he is an 'engineer' and that the information is listed on his MIRCS info. If that is the case, how is 'just a customer' gleaning information that is supposed to be viewed only by employees and by law, is supposed to be private and secure?

Hmmmm... Inquiring minds want to know....

Last edited:
If its not a shill account - I'd like to know how someone not affiliated behind the counter at A&J's got access to exodius' MIRCS/LTC information. Exodius stated that he did not share verbally with anyone at A&J the information that he is an 'engineer' and that the information is listed on his MIRCS info. If that is the case, how is 'just a customer' gleaning information that is supposed to be viewed only by employees and by law, is supposed to be private and secure?

Hmmmm... Inquiring minds want to know....

Inquiring minds might never know.......the "Phantom" has left the forum! (Banned) Its funny how fast tails are between legs and out the door.

Back
Top Bottom