A gun I’ve not come across before - Colt Agent .38

As I’m not really a revolver guy, I just came across something I hadn’t seen before and it piqued my interest. Been thinking about getting a revolver for while but haven’t chosen one yet for various reasons. Came across a Colt Agent .38 for $400. Looks in fine shape. 6 rounds in a revolver that (google says) is only 15-16oz is pretty cool. Also the Colt logo on the grip is meaningful to me as I like some history behind my things.

Do any of you have one of these? What do you think? Is $400 worth the price tag? The internet has mixed messages about plus p ammo - what say you?

Likely a carried a lot (in a jacket pocket) and shot a little kind of gun I’d add to my collection.

Looks just about identical to this:
Colt Agent .38 Special (C14174)

There's a big difference between "carried a lot" and "shot a lot", $400 sounds about right, looks like a solid investment!

There's a big difference between "carried a lot" and "shot a lot", $400 sounds about right, looks like a solid investment!
I think I misled you, it looks to be in pretty good condition. If I bought it I would carry it a lot and probably only shoot it biannually.

As I’m not really a revolver guy, I just came across something I hadn’t seen before and it piqued my interest. Been thinking about getting a revolver for while but haven’t chosen one yet for various reasons. Came across a Colt Agent .38 for $400. Looks in fine shape. 6 rounds in a revolver that (google says) is only 15-16oz is pretty cool. Also the Colt logo on the grip is meaningful to me as I like some history behind my things.

Do any of you have one of these? What do you think? Is $400 worth the price tag? The internet has mixed messages about plus p ammo - what say you?

Likely a carried a lot (in a jacket pocket) and shot a little kind of gun I’d add to my collection.

Looks just about identical to this:
Colt Agent .38 Special (C14174)

I saw one at the Marlboro gun show about three years ago. The dealer said it was new and it did look new. It had a flat black finish. He wanted $400 bucks for it. And yes, I'm sorry I didn't buy it.

I believe the Colt Agent .38 Revolver is the only firearm Prohibited from the Post Office Premises.
Per this Notice, with clear view of the Colt Agent as discussed.

iu

is this not the revolver colt put out 2+ years ago when they reintroduced a revolver to the catalog?

I believe the Colt Agent .38 Revolver is the only firearm Prohibited from the Post Office Premises.
Per this Notice, with clear view of the Colt Agent as discussed.

iu
That's because apparently "bigger game" is roaming at the post offices these days and the Agent doesn't meet the minimum caliber. [rofl]

is this not the revolver colt put out 2+ years ago when they reintroduced a revolver to the catalog?
That's the Detective Special.

The Colt Agent was a clone of the Detective Special with a flat black utilitarian finish rather than the nice blue job on the Detective Special. I'm talking older generation Colts here, not current production.

The DS and Agent were never rated for +P or +P+ and should not be used with such ammo, though you may get away with it for a limited number of round.

The Colt Agent was a clone of the Detective Special with a flat black utilitarian finish rather than the nice blue job on the Detective Special. I'm talking older generation Colts here, not current production.

The DS and Agent were never rated for +P or +P+ and should not be used with such ammo, though you may get away with it for a limited number of round.

Wasn't the Agent the one with the shorter grip meant to be an attempt at a "pocket pistol" like the J Frame?

Definitely avoid +Ps with older Colts. Also, there are very few (including Colt Factory) gunsmiths that will work on older Colt revolvers so keep that in mind.

Wasn't the Agent the one with the shorter grip meant to be an attempt at a "pocket pistol" like the J Frame?

Definitely avoid +Ps with older Colts. Also, there are very few (including Colt Factory) gunsmiths that will work on older Colt revolvers so keep that in mind.
Are there any problems that I should be aware of regarding colts or revolvers in general? I think I said it but I don’t even own a revolver yet so I’m not sure of any potential pitfalls.

From my reading the Agent is built on the D frame which is a hair larger than the J frame and a hair smaller than the K frame.

Wondering if it’s reasonably pocketable in a winter coat or dress pants. Going to check it out in person this afternoon.

There are several generations of the agent/detective special/cobra (alloy frame version).

If you are going to pocket carry, try to find an old Colt Detective Special hammer shroud (will fit the Agent as well). Hammer Shroud | Gun Parts Corp.

I have the Third Series Colt DS made between 1973 and 1986. It has the barrel shroud, but no hammer shroud. Nice shooter.

Hammer shroud is an accessory part that is added to the gun; not a factory option on the gun itself.

I think mine is a 3rd series as well. Still wondering if I should have tried to beat down the dealer on price, as I paid $225 which seemed like a lot at the time.

I sort of just happened across this revolver online from a local shop. I haven’t had a chance to get down there and look at it. Thought I was going to get there this afternoon but maybe not until tomorrow.

Hand and ejector are hard to source and may need to be custom fit. Check lockup and timing. $400 can get you a modern +p+ 38 so keep that in mind

Back
Top Bottom