• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A good day

2 of my daughter's friends asked me to introduce them to shooting. One had a Social Anthropology & Women's Studies degree. The other got her degree in Peace Studies. (Who knew Peace Studies was a major?) Both from elite liberal arts institutions. Nice ladies from far outside my usual social circles. A recent active shooter situation struck close to home for them, hence their desire to learn to shoot.

By the end of the day, they could each safely and reliably hit their targets with an AR, a '73 Winchester, a Garand, an Airlite, and a .380 Sig. They fired the rifles from the bench at paper plates hung at 25 yards, and the handguns at 7 yards, all with iron sights. Very big smiles -- not bad for their first experience with guns.

I used the NRA Basic Rifle and Basic pistol course materials, hitting all the high points, and leaving them with the handouts for those courses. I encouraged them to take the real courses soon. They understand they got only the Cliff's Notes version. I brought a dozen long guns and about 15 handguns, so they got to learn about all the different actions, triggers, etc. They selected the guns that fit their hands, and that they wanted to learn to shoot, and we went to the range. I did the usual instructor/coach thing, talking them through everything, from a position inches from their right elbow. By the end of the range session, they required no coaching or correction to operate the guns safely and hit their targets.

We spent 5 hours, 3 in the classroom and 2 shooting, a brief but thorough introduction, the best I could do in the time available.

These ladies have been very politically active for years, just the type we see organizing protests for women's rights, LGBTQ rights, etc. I took special pleasure in watching them smile while repeatedly nailing their targets with an AR. Whenever we can educate folks from that demographic, it feels like time well spent.

Last edited:
Job well done, coach! I went to an all women's super, very liberal college myself in Boston and look where I am today....... I found my "way" when I found NES [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Back
Top Bottom