• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A gift from my uncle...which to choose

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
My aunt and uncle recently moved to Maine, they had been renovating the family home there and needed some help with network and CATV wiring, so I pitched in. Also gave them a spare flat screen and blu-ray player I had.

As a gesture of thanks, he wants to give me a handgun. Most of his handguns are still in MA in his brother's safe until he finished the renovation and got his safe bolted in place, and the transfer will happen at an FFL, so all remains above board from a legal perspective.

My choices are a Ruger SR9 or a S&W M&P40, both have similar round count (300 or so) and have been meticulously maintained.

Which should I choose? Reviews seem similar, he has no significant opinion either way, I have not shot either one yet, so hopefully I can lean on the fine folks at NES for your advise.

I welcome any and all feedback, and would love to know more about the "why" behind which you would choose.

Thanks again!

Your best bet is to try them both,and see which one you like.If I had to pick one I would take the SR9.

Last edited:
you need to choose between a 9mm and a .40???

[rolleyes]

Yes. Almost all of my shooting experience is with long guns or vintage revolvers.

They both feel fine in my hands, but there is not time to head to the range as they are packing the guns tomorrow and heading home to Maine. This was sprung on me tonight after helping prep them for the drive.

You couldn't give me a Ruger. Just about the crappiest gun I have ever shot. Ruger was trying to make a cheap gun and they did.

But, if you have little girl hands and have to have your wife open all the pickle jars, you may want the 9mm.

Even if the M&P needed a trigger job, I wouldn't take the Ruger.

[devil2][devil2][devil2][devil2][devil2]

I think you can find SR9's as the toy prize in a Cracker Jack box. As much as it pains me to say, go M&P fotay and take it to someone for a trigger job.

I have large hands...one is partially disabled, but the trigger puller works fine!

You couldn't give me a Ruger. Just about the crappiest gun I have ever shot. Ruger was trying to make a cheap gun and they did.

But, if you have little girl hands and have to have your wife open all the pickle jars, you may want the 9mm.

SR 9 hands down.

Ruger does it it right for the price point. I never had a malfunction in my Rugers. Ruger eats all types of ammo and sweet triggers.

I personally hate the fotay and also you need a trigger job. Skip the fotay. Go for the .45 for a later day.

Ruger hands down is a better choice. Nice trigger and 9 mm ammo is easy to come bye.

The SR 9 is a smooth shooter. I personally love my Sr9c the Sr 9 little brother.

Shoot both and let your gut feeling do the rest.

You mentioned you don't have a lot experience with handguns. Do you own any?

Reason I ask is, everyone needs a 9mm. You can find ammo for it anywhere.

plus it's cheaper to shoot than 40, which means more practice.

Jeez, nothing else to choose from in that safe? [sad] Not flaming or trying to be insulting, but I'd say thanks, but no thanks. [smile]

Interesting. I won't have most S&Ws because they caved to the politicians and mangled their guns with self-locking locks and by drilling holes in the chamber wall for "loaded chamber indicators". Also, you can't get full-capacity mags for S&W M&P. Rugers have no politically correct BS on them. I was given 2 M&P 9s with the MAhole, one with a Coakley triger and one with an Apex trigger. They work fine, but I get mad all over again every time I take them out. I own several Ruger .22 pistols, all stone cold reliable. I have a no-lock S&W 642 and a Ruger Alaskan, 2 very different revolvers, both reliable and capable.

My problem with S&W is all the politically-driven misfeatures. Ruger doesn't do that. I would gladly own an S&W without the misfeatures.

After decades of coaching and instructing, I have a collection of broken gun parts. None of them are S&W or Ruger parts. My Ruger .22s have digested tens of thousands of rounds. As long as I clean them every 600 rounds or so, they're rock solid performers.

Ford or Chevy Pepsi or Coke? Brilliant move to come on NES and ask: should I get a Ruger 9 or a Smith fortay? It's like you wife or GF asking: does this dress make me look fat? Best answer is try em both and decide for yourself. The fortay hating girls are gonna diss ya of ya choose the fortay. The philosophers and ideologues gonna get all squirmy cuz S&W made some kinda deal with the devil back in the last century and puts funny little doohinguses on most of its revolvers these days.

Truth of the matter only you know what's best for you. Now I own stock in both companies (true dat) and I own guns made by both companies (also true) my current EDC gun is a Ruger (SR1911 CMD) but I would probably choose the MP because I prefer that model over the Ruger striker fired models., YMMV. You decide and don't let us Red Blooded fanboys who are full of ourselves influence you that much one way or the other. IMO you can't go wrong either way, which ever gun you end up with, it will be the best damn gun in the world cuz it's a free gun [wink]

Last edited:
Interesting. I won't have most S&Ws because they caved to the politicians and mangled their guns with self-locking locks and by drilling holes in the chamber wall for "loaded chamber indicators". Also, you can't get full-capacity mags for S&W M&P. Rugers have no politically correct BS on them. I was given 2 M&P 9s with the MAhole, one with a Coakley triger and one with an Apex trigger. They work fine, but I get mad all over again every time I take them out. I own several Ruger .22 pistols, all stone cold reliable. I have a no-lock S&W 642 and a Ruger Alaskan, 2 very different revolvers, both reliable and capable.

My problem with S&W is all the politically-driven misfeatures. Ruger doesn't do that. I would gladly own an S&W without the misfeatures.

After decades of coaching and instructing, I have a collection of broken gun parts. None of them are S&W or Ruger parts. My Ruger .22s have digested tens of thousands of rounds. As long as I clean them every 600 rounds or so, they're rock solid performers.

You need to google Bill Rugers a sell out. Bill Rugers part of the reason we have mag limits and now there supporting smart technology..**** Ruger

look at the Mark II vs the Mark III. The Mark III has a loaded cartridge indicator and a magazine disconnect.

Ruger added safety BS features just the same. Neither of those features make the gun a better shooter or more reliable.

You mentioned you don't have a lot experience with handguns. Do you own any?

Reason I ask is, everyone needs a 9mm. You can find ammo for it anywhere.

plus it's cheaper to shoot than 40, which means more practice.

Not currently, around 95% of the rounds I have fired have been from Long Guns or revolvers introduced before the 70's I have not fired many Semi-automatic pistols.

Jeez, nothing else to choose from in that safe? [sad] Not flaming or trying to be insulting, but I'd say thanks, but no thanks. [smile]

There are many goodies in that safe, but nothing else I can choose, this is what he wants to give me, so....can't argue with free.

You need to google Bill Rugers a sell out. Bill Rugers part of the reason we have mag limits and now there supporting smart technology..**** Ruger

Oh come on, what's wrong with these statements?

the man who told NBC News' Tom Brokaw that:

• "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."
  • "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."
  • "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."
And, sadly, that too must be part of the Ruger legacy.

[puke][puke][puke][puke][puke]

So, politics aside, is there anything "wrong" with choosing the Ruger (from a mechanical or technical standpoint) So far, it seems that it will be less expensive to shoot and should have greater ammo availability, which should translate to more practice. I mean, it is not like I am giving Bill Ruger my money or anything, just going to use a Ruger as a platform for learning more about pistol shooting.

I disagree with the ammo availability claims. When ammo dried up after the Newtown unpleasantness, it seemed that everywhere I went was out of 9mm but had 40.

9mm is far and away the most popular caliber out there so when ammo gets tight it is gobbled up quickly. Granted, manufacturers produce more 9mm than anything else, but demand is also much higher.

It is true that .40 costs about $4 more per box.

So, politics aside, is there anything "wrong" with choosing the Ruger (from a mechanical or technical standpoint) So far, it seems that it will be less expensive to shoot and should have greater ammo availability, which should translate to more practice. I mean, it is not like I am giving Bill Ruger my money or anything, just going to use a Ruger as a platform for learning more about pistol shooting.

You'll get people bashing ruger for what a old fudd owner said . The company has changed since .

Same for s&w the did they same shit.

Comes down to two guns from company's you don't have to worry to much about .

40= wimp 10mm but you can convert it to 9mm.
Just pick the one that feels nice in your hand and to your eye .

take the one with the most trade/resale value so if you don't like it you can use it to get something you like. Sounds like he is willing to give either away because he is not particularly impressed with them either. I believe that Ruger is the model a guy I work with bought and has had nothing but FTE's and it will only run Blazer rounds clean. He sent it back to Ruger to fix and it came back same way finicky with ammo and more FTE's.

No, there's nothing wrong with it. Great gun and good luck with it. Take the 9, you will love it. [cheers]

I'm wondering where these folks who won't buy products based on their political issues are getting their TV's, cars, food...etc. Pretty sure I can find some dirt on most big companies if I try. [wink]

take the one with the most trade/resale value so if you don't like it you can use it to get something you like. Sounds like he is willing to give either away because he is not particularly impressed with them either. I believe that Ruger is the model a guy I work with bought and has had nothing but FTE's and it will only run Blazer rounds clean. He sent it back to Ruger to fix and it came back same way finicky with ammo and more FTE's.

Not a matter of him not being impressed with either, just that he has other firearms with those same calibers and wants to express his thanks for my help.

He knows I recently obtained my LTC and wants to give me something I can learn at the range with, as well as something to start me off in my collecting!

Hey don't look a gift horse in the mouth right. Try both if you can and pick the one you like. Personally I would go with the M&P. I have the 9C and had the spring changed, works fine for me. IIRC it cost $15. Enjoy whichever you choose and as someone said you can always sell or trade it if you decide you want something else. I don't have a 40 so for free that would be a another plus for me, fun to try different stuff. Also like said above during the shortage every where I went had 40. I was seriously thinking about picking one up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom