• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A fun and effective new Rifle (Mass ok)

Reading more about bullpup the K&m m17s seems awesome. Someone posted sub moa groups with match ammo. 4 to 5 pound adjustable trigger.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The Sig MCX is MA OK?
I'll look at that.

I have no problem pinning and welding a muzzle brake. I have a TIG welding setup at home so it would only take me 30 min and I can undo it
Thanks for the suggestions.
The Sig MCX is MA OK?
I'll look at that.

Yes. I bought one from a dealer in MA and love it. The folding, adjustable, stock is not okay in MA.

They could at least make it accept AR mags...

They could at least make it accept AR mags...
That's about my only compliant about the mini-14, some say it's not accurate but that isn't my experience. Chang the 14 to AR mags and the 30 to AK mags and they would fly off the shelf.

That's about my only compliant about the mini-14, some say it's not accurate but that isn't my experience. Chang the 14 to AR mags and the 30 to AK mags and they would fly off the shelf.
I've shot a few. A few suffered from significant shot stringing when the barrel heated up. Others were just unimpressive with accuracy.

I had one where the front sight was canted. I sent it to Ruger and they said the gun had to be replaced completely and couldn't be fixed. Strange.

FWIW I owned a Tavor SAR and sold it to fund my SBR build. I'll be grabbing a used X95 in the next year or so. It was a great rifle -- my main complaint was the weight, albeit the balance compensates for that.

Love the x95, shoot at 200yds all the time, no issues, do better that a lot of guys next to me with ar’s. Don’t know their experience level but I hit all the steel at 200, no problem. Would definitely recommend.

The MCX is the obvious answer. You can swap the barrel in 30 seconds and the stock is attached via a pic rail. So, you can swap from a side folder to a fixed stock, and get a second barrel for it to pin a muzzle device on, and not be locked into a retarded rifle because MA.

12.5" 556 to a 9" 300blk by just pulling the front take down pin, sliding the hand guard off, and loosening 2 screws, pulling the barrel, seating the other, tightening 2 screws, sliding the hand guard back on and pushing the take down pin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200106-230057_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200106-230057_Gallery.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20200106-230157_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200106-230157_Gallery.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'm looking for a fun new rifle.
AR's are too complex to own in MA so I'm looking to avoid them. I live in NH but plan on going to MA with it.

Requirements:
1. Reliable
2. Pre-ban 30 round AR mag compatibility would be nice
3. Rifle caliber (.223/5.56)

Tavor X95? MDR?
I haven't kept up lately with any fun new long guns that are ok in MA.
I'm confused. If you live in NH, then why do you care about MA laws?

You can legally bring it here and go to the range, that is all that matters.

Although I know that a ton of folks do this each month, it is illegal if the person possesses a gun (or mags) that violates the AWB. This applies to visitors as well as residents.

Love the x95, shoot at 200yds all the time, no issues, do better that a lot of guys next to me with ar’s. Don’t know their experience level but I hit all the steel at 200, no problem. Would definitely recommend.

Good to know. It's probably fine I just need to get past the accuracy "issues". Realistically speaking I would probably be the guy next to you missing with the AR :)
The MCX is the obvious answer. You can swap the barrel in 30 seconds and the stock is attached via a pic rail. So, you can swap from a side folder to a fixed stock, and get a second barrel for it to pin a muzzle device on, and not be locked into a retarded rifle because MA.

After your pictures I am starting to look into it more.

I can't have an "assault weapon" in MA so I would need to make sure it's legal.

Although I know that a ton of folks do this each month, it is illegal if the person possesses a gun (or mags) that violates the AWB. This applies to visitors as well as residents.
WTF. I thought that only applied to residents and buying stuff. :(

There's literally NOTHING you can do to a mini 14/30 that will make it fly off the shelf. Except maybe replacing the stock, the action, the fire control group, the gas system and the barrel.

Where you been brother? Is this for the youngster? My phone crashed a while back and I lost all contacts. If you need any reliading extras, send a text.

There's literally NOTHING you can do to a mini 14/30 that will make it fly off the shelf. Except maybe replacing the stock, the action, the fire control group, the gas system and the barrel.
Or make it specifically exempt from the AWB.... Oh wait, it is.

Not really true.

Maura says it is exempt (from her BS) . . . MGL says if you add evil features, you have an AW! Guess who I believe?
I'm not so sure about that. It's exempted by name in the MGL via the amendment. It doesn't say exempt unless you add something. It just says exempt.

I'm not so sure about that. It's exempted by name in the MGL via the amendment. It doesn't say exempt unless you add something. It just says exempt.
Wasn't the 1994 ban written that the Mini-14 specifically was "w/o folding stock" ? I can't seem to find the appendix, but I've found several references to that.

ETA Found it:

1578422500592.png

So, it seems the exact opposite of your post is true--it's exempt in a specific configuration, but not if you add a folding stock.

Last edited:
Wasn't the 1994 ban written that the Mini-14 specifically was "w/o folding stock" ? I can't seem to find the appendix, but I've found several references to that.

ETA Found it:

View attachment 323035

So, it seems the exact opposite of your post is true--it's exempt in a specific configuration, but not if you add a folding stock.
That's one feature, hardly the opposite of what I said.
And it doesn't say that about the mini 30 now does it?

Back
Top Bottom