• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A fun and effective new Rifle (Mass ok)

I'm looking for a fun new rifle.
AR's are too complex to own in MA so I'm looking to avoid them. I live in NH but plan on going to MA with it.

Requirements:
1. Reliable
2. Pre-ban 30 round AR mag compatibility would be nice
3. Rifle caliber (.223/5.56)

Tavor X95? MDR?
I haven't kept up lately with any fun new long guns that are ok in MA.

Last edited:
With all due respect, as you are a longtime known member of this forum and I know this is not an attempt at trolling....

With the transport laws in MA for long guns, the number of long guns you could legally have loaded and in the truck would be close to zero.

Stick with a pistol or revolver, noting the prohibition of post (insert date) 1994 magazines with a capacity exceeding 10 rounds.

When I travel throughout NE, especially in places I don’t have a license, I carry a minimum of 7 AR/AK variants with at least 4 100-round drums and several fully loaded high-cap mags...I think the lyrics are “ain’t nobody gonna hold me down!”

Hi Maura!

Just curious what people are using for truck guns (long guns) in MA nowadays.
I'm in NH and travel to MA on occasion.

Back when AR's were ok it was somewhat obvious. A MA compliant AR does the trick.
But with Healy's changes a few years back and not wanting to buy a pre-ban (being an free-stater), the AR is out.

The Ruger Mini-14 works...but I sort of hate that gun.

So I'm looking for something new partially because it would be an excuse to buy a new gun.

Requirements:
1. Reliable

Tavor X95? MDR?
I haven't kept up lately with any fun new guns.

So, you live in NH? Or you have dual residency? Or do you have a Non-Res LTC?

I'm working on building a Q side chick in .308 or a Pork Sword. One of those will be my car gun.

When I travel throughout NE, especially in places I don’t have a license, I carry a minimum of 7 AR/AK variants with at least 4 100-round drums and several fully loaded high-cap mags...I think the lyrics are “ain’t nobody gonna hold me down!”

Hi Maura!

Sounds like you might be going in a bit light.

I, too, am perplexed by this thread.

When I think "truck gun," I think of a guy in a pickup rolling around on his own property, scaring off yotes or putting injured cattle out of their misery... with an SKS.

Not sure where in MA that's a serious need, especially for a guy who lives in New Hampshire.

I've never heard of anyone having a truck gun in MA. Other states sure, but not MA, much less for a non-resident...

This also assumes of course you have a non-res LTC (you mentioned occasion MA travel, so I'm not taking this as a given).

You want to carry/transport a rifle in your truck? Jack.
Yes. I thought everyone would.

Plenty of people keep long guns in their cars
With all due respect, as you are a longtime known member of this forum and I know this is not an attempt at trolling....

With the transport laws in MA for long guns, the number of long guns you could legally have loaded and in the truck would be close to zero.

Stick with a pistol or revolver, noting the prohibition of post (insert date) 1994 magazines with a capacity exceeding 10 rounds.

...because pistols and rifles have the same uses?

@Underwhere , if money isn’t a problem, one of the higher quality bullpups seems like it would be a good choice. Just stay away from the keltec RDB.

It seems I've struck a nerve for some reason. Not looking to troll.
So I've edited my original post. Forget the truck part. I'm just looking to buy/build a fun new long gun.

I know MA transport laws. I'm licensed in MA. I'm not sure why people are assuming I'm unlicensed and want to leave stuff in my truck loaded.

It seems I've struck a nerve for some reason. Not looking to troll.
So I've edited my original post. Forget the truck part. I'm just looking to buy/build a fun new long gun.

I know MA transport laws. I'm licensed in MA. I'm not sure why people are assuming I'm unlicensed and want to leave stuff in my truck loaded.

I'm all for car guns. I think the issue you want to avoid is storage of a high capacity gun vs. Non high capacity. Unless your plan is to leave it locked in a case.

Getting back on topic, I would go with the Sig MCX. Not an AR but the manual of arms of an AR. Takes AR mags and very reliable. Also most importantly it’s one badass looking rifle.

The problem is you'd need to Massify anything you get. I'm not sure I'd buy something like a Tavor, which is legal but not cheap, as a NH resident and then shell out to Massify it as a NH resident. I guess if you want just "a rifle" to bring to MA, that's not a bad choice since it meets pretty much all your requirements.

Instead I'd be looking for something that doesn't need any alterations, like an SKS or one of those Hi-Point PCCs. Not as sexy, but I'm not paying extra money to make my rifle adhere to some other state's laws if I travel there "occasionally."

The problem is you'd need to Massify anything you get. I'm not sure I'd buy something like a Tavor, which is legal but not cheap, as a NH resident and then shell out to Massify it as a NH resident. I guess if you want just "a rifle" to bring to MA, that's not a bad choice since it meets pretty much all your requirements.

there’s not much that needs to be done to a Tavor to massify it....pin/weld a muzzle brake, and that’s it?
In the grand scheme of things, that not exactly a substantial cost...and it doesn’t exactly ruin the rifle.

there’s not much that needs to be done to a Tavor to massify it....pin/weld a muzzle brake, and that’s it?
In the grand scheme of things, that not exactly a substantial cost...and it doesn’t exactly ruin the rifle.
Sure...if he wants to pay money to adhere to another state's laws for something he occasionally does, more power to him.
It doesn't make sense to me, but he's free to do it. Just voicing that I think it's silly; he asked for opinions/thoughts, and I gave mine.

I shoot in MA pretty much every week. I don't modify my guns to do that; I bring guns that are already MA OK and shoot my non-MA OK guns elsewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The Sig MCX is MA OK?
I'll look at that.

I have no problem pinning and welding a muzzle brake. I have a TIG welding setup at home so it would only take me 30 min and I can undo it if I ever wanted to.

I'm open to modifications to make things MA legal.

I had some concerns over the X95 because of accuracy rumors a while back. I don't know if that was rectified.

AR's are too complex to own in MA so I'm looking to avoid them.

Requirements:
1. Reliable

Tavor X95? MDR?
I haven't kept up lately with any fun new long guns that are ok in MA.
U have no idea what u are talking about and people like u are part of the problem here in MA. AR’s are not complex to own here at all. U just can’t purchase a post 94 rifle or lower from a dealer. U can buy 20 of them tomorrow if u want. Maura’s shit is nonsense pay no attention to it.

The Sig MCX is MA OK?
I'll look at that.

I have no problem pinning and welding a muzzle brake. I have a TIG welding setup at home so it would only take me 30 min and I can undo it if I ever wanted to.

I had some concerns over the X95 because of accuracy rumors a while back. I don't know if that was rectified.
Last I heard is shops in MA do sell them.

The Sig MCX is MA OK?
I'll look at that.

Forget about those favors. Get a MCX

AR's are too complex to own in MA so I'm looking to avoid them.

Lol not sure if serious..... there is no complexity, unless you're playing by Maura's BS. Which isn't law. Otherwise if you're worried about the actual law just build a "ban complaint" AR
and be done with it. (pinned brake, fixed stock, no lug, etc).

If you believe in her bullshit, then just buy a Tavor and pin a brake on it. Done.

-Mike

U have no idea what u are talking about and people like u are part of the problem here in MA.

Slow down, Underwhere is one of the good ones on NES. I thought he was in NH and maybe wants something to go between states without having to think or worry about it.

U have no idea what u are talking about and people like u are part of the problem here in MA. AR’s are not complex to own here at all. U just can’t purchase a post 94 rifle or lower from a dealer. U can buy 20 of them tomorrow if u want. Maura’s shit is nonsense pay no attention to it.
I lived in MA. I know a bit of what I'm talking about.
I'm in a free state now.

I don't want to private sale FA10 an AR in MA...especially if I already live in NH. I don't think anyone would if they lived in a free state.

And as far as I understand it (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), a post 94 AR must be in the state of MA (on some FA10) to be OK.

If the MCX doesn't fall under the AR category in MA then I'm open to it.

Part of this is also just because I want to try out something new. I have AR's. Haven't done a build of anything in a while. Just looking for something new

I was able to find a used, low round X95 on this board's classifieds, in Mass, 16.5 inch barrel, pinned BCM brake, nice WML, thin butt pad, Holosun red dot, all for less then the asking price for a new stripped down model, and tax free! Fun to shoot, .556, reliable, drops pre-ban GI mags free and easy. It's now my home defense rifle, but it fits nicely, unloaded, into the trunk of my sedan :) It was a bit of a splurge, but I'm older, I've worked hard, so it was worth it to me.

I was able to find a used, low round X95 on this board's classifieds, in Mass, 16.5 inch barrel, pinned BCM brake, nice WML, thin butt pad, Holosun red dot, all for less then the asking price for a new stripped down model, and tax free! Fun to shoot, .556, reliable, drops pre-ban GI mags free and easy. It's now my home defense rifle, but it fits nicely, unloaded, into the trunk of my sedan :) It was a bit of a splurge, but I'm older, I've worked hard, so it was worth it to me.
Sounds nice.
I've been doing a bit of research on bullpups. Never had one before. The x95 was on the list but the AUG is as well.

Back
Top Bottom