A Friday the 13th I will never forget.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My favorite Friday the 13th was the day I got out of the Army, in April of 1973.

I had been in the Army about six and a half years, and was assigned to the Personnel Control Facility at Fort Meade, Maryland.

I was assigned there originally as an outpatient from Walter Reed, waiting on a Medical Discharge, and when they found out I could type they
made me a Morning Reports Clerk. I hated the f**king job, and I hated the f**king Army. After two trips to Vietnam, I also had no love for
the Army, garrison duty, and POS officers! My commanding officer was a CPT, who had been injured In a Jeep accident in Germany and
had to walk with crutches and was unfit for normal duty. He had gotten drunk and crashed the jeep, and was also demoted from Major
and had a very piss poor attitude he took out on everyone in the orderly room.

For those who don't know what a Personnel Control Facility is, it is a place where the Army assigns people that are in limbo, and
cannot be regularly assigned. People awaiting Medical Discharge, or on Medical Profile,or courts martials for drug or AWOL charges, and old Lifers
that were alcoholics who couldn't retire until they stopped drinking.

We had two of those old 2 story wooden barracks. My barracks was for Cadre, and people waiting for discharge, and some old lifers
that were near retirement and undergoing alcohol abuse counseling. I shared the upstairs room with an old, Black Staff Sergeant from
Mississippi who had been in for almost 27 years, and had a serious drinking problem.

The other barracks was surrounded with a chain link fence with concertina wire, and a small guard shack. That barracks housed the
guy's waiting for Article 15's, Court Martials, or Undesirable Discharges, and were mostly junkies and AWOL's.

Every morning, both barracks would fall out for morning formation and headcount. Afterwards, some of us went to work, and the rest were
given various shit details. I would then go to the orderly room and do the morning report, then I did nothing the rest of the day until
the next formation at 5:00pm.

After my first 3 months, I took the shuttle bus to Walter Reed to find out why I still haven't received my discharge. I then found out my POS
commanding officer had put an administrative hold on my discharge because he just wanted to keep me as his morning reports clerk.
(If any of you know what a morning report is, you know it is the biggest pain in the a55 the Army ever contrived!) Needless to say, my relationship
with the CPT only got worse from then on, especially when he found out I went over his head to file a complaint against him with the JAG
office.

One night, one of the junkies was on cleaning detail in the orderly room and he put a bunch acid in the coffee pot. The next morning
they ended up calling an ambulance when they CO and the XO started tripping, and the whole time the rest of us in the orderly room
were laughing our asses off and tripping our brains out. He probably still thinks I did it![rofl][rofl]

My life was miserable, the only saving grace was sitting in my room every night with Sgt. Blakely listening to blues music or rock and roll
while he drank a bottle of vodka and I would drop a hit of orange sunshine and smoke doobies. He and I had a lot of fun and got
to know each other pretty well. As an interesting side note, Sgt Blakely hadn't smoked pot since he was a kid in Missisippi, and I got him
into smoking pot and he started weening himself off the booze and the Army finally let him retire. (RIP Sgt Blakely!)

The only thing I had to look forward to was every Friday evening formation, when they would announce who would finally get to
out-process the next week.

I finally got out a week later,Friday the 13th. I was so damn glad to be rid of that place that I ate almost a quarter ounce of hash that day,
and they literally had to pour me on the bus to the Baltimore airport for the flight home.

The funny thing was, I had nightmares for almost a year after I got out. But they weren't dreams about Vietnam...they were dreams of
that damn CPT showing up at my front door with a couple of MP's telling me my discharge was a mistake, and I had
to come back in the Army![rofl][rofl]

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh, and I forgot to add the story at the Baltimore airport.
Once I got to the airport, I went into the bathroom and changed into civilian clothes. When I went to board, they pulled me out and
took me to a small room and strip searched me.
(It's seems that having a military ticket and showing up in civilian clothes was a hijacking profile back then.)
While they were searching through my bags, the officer found a big chunk of Hash I had hidden in a shoe. He looked at it,
then put it back. I thought I was going to jail!
He saw the look on my face, and just said...."Don't worry, that is not what we are looking for. We are looking for Hijackers.)

Top Bottom