• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A "fanny pack" recommendation

Birdman_308

NES Member
Hey Gang,

About ten years ago I bought a wonderful fanny pack at a gun show. It has two zippered compartments for your "normal" stuff and a velcro/zipper tear open secret compartment for your handgun. I have used it to discretely carry for ten years, and the zippers finally started falling apart. There was no manufacturer name on the bag, and all I remembered was that it was made locally. Anyway, today, I finally found the manufacturer and I thought I would post it with a recommendation.

I know fanny packs are "girlie" and I get a few wisecracks now and then from friends calling it a "man purse" (mostly people that don't realize what's in there) but there is no more convenient and discrete way to carry a handgun, in my opinion.

Here they are:

O'Donnell Sales Co.
20 Wheeler Street, Lynn, MA 01902
(781) 599-4940

They don't have a website. Just give them a ring. They make a large and a small version, right handed and left, leather or Cordura Nylon. Cheap too!

I am not affiliated in any way with them, but I think they make the best fanny pack on the market.

Best,

Jonathan

Bird dude, please do a search on "fanny pack". You'll quickly realize that very few folks here are very accepting of them. I'm not one of them either. Try Smartcarry, or Thunderwear.

Fanny packs...[rofl]

Hey, whatever guys. I carried for years in a shoulder rig and it was inconvenient beyond belief. Couldn't take my jacket off at people's houses because they would freak. Stuffing a firearm into some kind of inside-the-pants holster is uncomfortable, especially in the car. You can laugh all you want at the fanny pack, but it draws no attention, and I even have my checkbook and phone with me when I need it. I wear it on the side, not the front, and most people don't even notice it. Because it makes carrying the gun easy, it means I always have it. You will only need it when you don't have it, which is why you must always have it.

Birdman

Don't worry about it Birdman.

I happen to know that there are several men on this list that own purses with interior holsters. Doesn't make me think any less of them.

*of course, it's a requirement of an Instructor who teaches the "Personal Protection Outside the Home" course, but they still own a purse.

I think the fanny pack is great for the summer when I'm biking or going for a walk and I want something with more "ooomf" than my little .380 IWB. I was mountain biking with some aquaintances once, one of them was mildly injured and asked me if I had anything in my fanny pack to help him. It was the only time it drew any attention. I told him "no", but chuckled to myself wishing I could say "no, but I could put you out of your misery!" LOL

YMMV, I think they are great. I must admit you need to carefully pick your wardrobe because they are kinda feminine.

I use one of these.

They were offering a 60% off after you buy something you get a e mail from them with a code if I remember correctly.

Ill check my e mail to see if I still have it and post the info here.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1

1-2T.jpg

NW93.jpg

I was going to keep quiet on this because I made a resolution to not post smart-ass comments but...

Here's how bad fanny packs are: Even though I was drunk when I posted the resolution, so drunk that I promised to stop making fun of LARPing, I was still coherent enough to specifically exempt fanny packs. Seriously. I posted that a week ago and haven't edited it since.

Birdman, unless you're a lesbian or a German tourist, everybody will know you're carrying a gun. I mean, why else would anybody be wearing a fanny pack?

Also, you may not think it looks that bad, but it does. Unless you're wearing a Members Only jacket, a "Frankie Says Relax" t-shirt, and are on your way to an 80's party, for the love of God, I urge you to leave the fanny pack at home.

Ok I have'nt carried yet so I don't know how fast a person can pull out your gun if needed. But would'nt the zippers on a fanny pack get in the way of what may be a critical situation. Also...[rofl]

Birdman, unless you're a lesbian or a German tourist, everybody will know you're carrying a gun. I mean, why else would anybody be wearing a fanny pack?

LOL! I think you are right that all gun owners will suspect there's a gun in there, but I can tell you for certain that 99% of the public doesn't. Nobody that I have ever mentioned it to had any suspicion that there was a gun in there. They probably just thought I was gay. [smile] Whatever.

Boy did I open a can of worms here! Forget I mentioned it!

Ok I have'nt carried yet so I don't know how fast a person can pull out your gun if needed. But would'nt the zippers on a fanny pack get in the way of what may be a critical situation. Also...[rofl]

The girlie one I wear has a break-away flap with a big snap and velcro--no zipper to slow you down.

By the way, calling a fannie pack a purse is about as accurate as calling a kilt a skirt. Try that sometime with a Scot and see how far he kicks your butt! [smile]

Birdman

I was going to keep quiet on this because I made a resolution to not post smart-ass comments but...

Here's how bad fanny packs are: Even though I was drunk when I posted the resolution, so drunk that I promised to stop making fun of LARPing, I was still coherent enough to specifically exempt fanny packs. Seriously. I posted that a week ago and haven't edited it since.

Also, you may not think it looks that bad, but it does. Unless you're wearing a Members Only jacket, a "Frankie Says Relax" t-shirt, and are on your way to an 80's party, for the love of God, I urge you to leave the fanny pack at home.

HA!! I knew it!!!

Hey some of you "GUN PACK" bashers might not have considered this point but If you have a problem printing or uncovering too often you may consider the pack I posted earlier.

Or a variation of it.

I suppose it also depends on how anal your local jurisdiction is about exposing your Concealed firearm.

I only wish we could open carry loaded here.

We can open carry unloaded in California but I'm not comfortable with that.

To me its like being a firefighter and having to fill up at the gas station before responding to the 4 alarm blaze.

The girlie one I wear has a break-away flap with a big snap and velcro--no zipper to slow you down.

By the way, calling a fannie pack a purse is about as accurate as calling a kilt a skirt. Try that sometime with a Scot and see how far he kicks your butt! [smile]

Birdman

+1, mine has a snap and velcro and is faster than a holster with a shirt over it. And like I said, it's a great way to carry something other than a mouse gun in the summer heat.

Back
Top Bottom