1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

A duckduckgo question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by smokey-seven, Dec 7, 2018.

1. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

So, after coming to my senses, I deleted google and went with duckduckgo.

My question is about bookmarks. How does one create folders in DDG bookmarks? I will have 50+ bookmarks eventually and I'd like to compartmentalize. Having them all in one folder is a pain.

2. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

quoted from Adding bookmarks?

DuckDuckGo is not a web browser like Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc. -- it is a web search engine like Google and Bing. Web browsers have bookmarks, not search engines. You can use DuckDuckGo.com in IE, Firefox--whatever you prefer and still have your bookmarks available as usual.

I would suggest using Brave as a browser and DuckduckGo as a search engine.

Fritz the Cat and enbloc like this.
  3. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Yes, use Brave. Don't use Chrome then get tricked into logging into it.... All your bookmarks will belong to Google.

Fritz the Cat, ProGun and Tallen like this.
  4. kman

kman NES Member

I hear ToR + DDG is the way to go by I find ToR sloooow.

5. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

ummm.... K, so why does DDG have bookmarks?

6. Choctaw

What browser are you currently using?

7. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

I use Firefox, just killed Google for a search. Switched to DDG and started to accumulate new bookmarks in that search engine. Was overwhelmed when I saw that there is no option for added folders. (That I am aware of.) Do I have to copy/paste to FF?

8. Choctaw

In Firefox if you click on the icon for your bookmarks at the top right, it looks like a clipboard. Choose 'View Bookmarks Sidebar'. On the left side Right click on 'Unsorted Bookmarks' it should open a drop down box for 'New Folder'.

edit; my Firefox was out of date. I updated now and it is totally different. Still checking it out.

Not much is different in that regard. Just right click on 'Other Bookmarks' instead of 'Unsorted Bookmarks' to create a new folder.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  9. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

In looking at it, seems like DDG has a way to download and install an app that will hold your bookmarks online similar to Chrome. But just using it as a search engine and not installing anything wouldn't allow the user of bookmarks outside the browser you are using.

10. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I still think you're confused (or I am really confused)... search engines don't have bookmarks. You can add duckduckgo to any browser and make it the default search engine. Bookmarks will still be managed by your browser though. If you used Chrome (not recommended), Google is more than happy if the bookmarks managed by Chrome sync with Google Cloud so they can see them, and you can see them appear on your other devices. Other browsers may have this feature too although I haven't really played around with it. I just noticed Brave browser has a Sync feature, so that might do it, but I haven't tried yet.

Just to convince myself I'm not going crazy, I checked duckduckgo web site, search engine bar, and browser app and don't see anything that suggests they are adding their own bookmarks feature.

Yazz likes this.
  11. jasons

jasons Moderator Moderator NES Life Member NES Member

DDG has a mobile browser for iOS and android with the ability to add bookmarks.

Prepper likes this.
  12. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Oh! Some kind of duck duck go browser? Okay thanks, that makes sense then. That kind of reminds me of Ad Block, which also ships itself as an Android browser rather than just a plugin (I tried it, didn't work well at all).

13. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Yes, sorry it got confusing. Using DDG on my phone with the DDG bookmarks.

My internet App on the phone has quite a few bookmarks but I am back to my original question, is there a way to create folders for bookmarks in DDG on a mobile?

14. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

I've tried divorcing from Chrome. More than once. I couldn't do it. The extensions I use in chrome don't work well in Firefox, particularly Grammarly. Also, I found FireFox to be too busy for a web browser. Browsers should be something you don't have to think about... More like - and I shudder to say this - but like Edge and Chrome.

Additionally, FireFox didn't automatically log me in to websites with saved credentials nearly as reliably as Chrome, the sync'd bookmarks, cookies, history and saved PWs between desktops and mobile don't work as reliably as Chrome, and some websites don't display properly in Firefox.

I've tried.... I really have. I mean I work in I.T. and have decades of experience. I run the IT dept for a 100+ server environment. But when it comes to even simple things, like logging into a web GUI on a firewall to do some basic administration, FireFox would render the page out of whack and I frequently found myself going back to Chrome.

So - I still use it. I use it because it makes my life easier.

But another option may soon be here... The latest news out of Redmond is that MS is ditching the Edge rendering engine and switching to Chromium which is open source. So future versions of MS Edge should be just as fast, accurate, and hopefully, have widespread extension support.

Microsoft Putting Edge on Chromium Will Fundamentally Change the Web

Chromium is not to be confused with Chrome. Chromium is the html rendering engine. Chrome is the browser that uses said engine. Several other browsers use Chromium (which was invented by Google). Chromium is just the rendering engine. It's not what does the uploading, syncing, spying and all that jive turkey stuff. It's just what displays the page on the screen basically. Everything else is added on by the browser maker.

15. dynotime

dynotime

use a VPN service. and use pvt mode in Firefox. ( Brave ) Use the Settings in FireFox and Clear your on line use every time before you log out. If that is how you what to feel safe.

Use a VPN that routs your internet connection to another Country if you are this concerned
    about others tracking you. Price you have to pay. you can get this service for about 30$ a year.

16. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

FYI, Google finally gave them duck.com

Makes it faster to type.

17. KMM696

KMM696 NES Member

any differences in VPN services? Or recommendations?

18. rep308

rep308 NES Member

use the Brave Browser and open a TOR window and chose DDG as your engine

crispnipz likes this.
  19. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Do keep in mind a TOR window is only useful if you are anonymously accessing web sites without providing login info. If you need to create an account, then don't bother... Plus there is the exit node problem where your traffic is easily intercepted by whoever has an exit node.

20. dynotime

dynotime

Use a VPN