• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A couple questions on an Arisaka

I haven't had a second to take any picks yet, however, I recently came in to the possesion of an Arisaka rifle. My uncle passed away and he brought it back with him during WWII. I was doing some research on it and from my understanding, this is a good one. It has the original sling and bipod - the dust cover is gone, but from what I understand very few still have them. The chrysanthimum (sp?) is still intact - meaning it was a battle field capture that MacArthur didn't get a hold of. Also, looking at the serial number and marking on the barrel, it was most likely made before the war began. From what I read, the later ones are crap, but the early ones are decent. This is an early one.

Hubby and I spent the day yesterday breaking it down (or trying to) and cleaning/oiling it. We can't get the trigger guard screws out - so, first question is - any suggestion? I don't want to wreck them.

Second question - anyone got a suggestion as to where I can get an idea of what this is worth? I looked at a couple auction sites, but the price range was huge. This is a really cool rifle and I don't want to sell it, I just want to get an idea of it's value. Soon as I can I'll take a couple pics and get them posted in here.

Thanks in advance! [smile]

I got a t99 with AA sights, a mum and a dust cover for 300 last year, yours is probably worth 300 to 500. Also arisakas made during the war are fine its the last year of the war the "last ditch" rifles that are crude. Another thing I believe its called a monopod not a bipod (I used to always call it a bipod myself), mine does have the base but the monopod itself is gone [crying].

Also does yours have anti-aircraft sights those add value, since they were usually lost or busted. But some rifles never had aa sights there were only built for a few years.

Btw I am looking at buying a t99 with aa sights, a monopod, a sling, and the mum (just need to find out what he wants for it). I also cant wait to see pics of yours.

Lynne,

I'd probably put a couple of drops of oil on and around the screws and let it set for a day or so. The oil won't hurt the wood and might just break up the rust that's holding the screws.

I don't think I'd use a penetrating oil like Koil or Liquid Wrench though....too many other chemicals that might damage the wood.

M44 - I stand corrected on the monopod. [smile] And yes, I forgot to add that it's got the anti-aircraft sights. They work just fine too.

Dennis - I think that's what Ed did - just the oil that is.

Jon - I have no idea what you mean so I haven't a clue. [laugh]

Lynne: A staked screw head is one that has metal driven into it by a hardened metal awl or staking tool. They drive a little bit of the trigger guard housing into the action screw. This is an old machine technique used to capture a screw to keep it from working loose. I have a carbine and rifle-length Arisaka and both guns have staked action screws like you might have. They can be detached but if you have to ask how, you're not the person who should be doing it. Leave it alone if the gun functions OK.

Lynne: A staked screw head is one that has metal driven into it by a hardened metal awl or staking tool. They drive a little bit of the trigger guard housing into the action screw. This is an old machine technique used to capture a screw to keep it from working loose. I have a carbine and rifle-length Arisaka and both guns have staked action screws like you might have. They can be detached but if you have to ask how, you're not the person who should be doing it. Leave it alone if the gun functions OK.

Thanks hun. Someone explained that to me last night. Nope - they aren't staked. I'll try adding some oil to the screw tops and see if that helps to loosen them.

Lynne: One of the interesting things about the WW2 era Japanese guns is the short length of pull reflecting the small stature of the Japanese people during the first half of the 20th century. My guns are around 12.5 inches. This amuses me because my wife is Japanese, born in Japan, and stands taller than me at 5 feet 10. (I'm 5-9) Her father is only 5-5 and her mom 5-2. Improved health care and food supply after the war promoted a marked increase in the Japanese average height. Their rifles didn't get any better but the people did.

I too have a model 99 Arisaka. It is also missing the dust cover, has a ground mum, and did not originally have a monopod. Unfortunately the original matching bolt was permanently disabled, so at the next gun show I will be in search of a new bolt. The overall condition of mine is great, and I cant wait to shoot it!

Thought I'd revive this old thread to ask my question. I've got an old arisaka that my great uncle brought back from Japan. After doing some initial research I think it's a type 38 (longer model arisaka, no AA sights although flip up sights are intact, no place for a type 99 monopod to even attach, and I looked up the japanese characters that appear to spell '38'). The mum is intact and the gun appears functional. The wood looks great for the age but there is some rust on the metal (mostly on the trigger, trigger guard, and some on the bolt). I know that generally it's not a good idea to 'clean-up' old items of value. Does that hold true in this case or do potential collectors want a rifle in better condition? It wouldn't be hard to shine it up but I don't want to destroy it's value.

Several school of thought here - but most "collectors" would urge you to do as little restoration as possible to preserve its value. Certainly you should knock off the active rust as soon as possible, but avoid anything other than 0000 steel wool and oil. Don't sand the stocks whatever you do, but the cleaner and brighter the bore, the better.

However - it's your rifle, do what you want to with it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom