A couple of questions RE: shotguns

I see Bass River is having a shotgun side match with the regular monthly USPSA match. Since I can't make the area 7 3 gun, I think I might like to give this a try. My questions are, Do I need a sling, and what type of ammo do I need? I have some slugs, but I will need to buy some shot, so I need to know what size.
Thanks Guys [grin]

Sean,
You don't need a sling. They said something about a slug stage. I use the Remington Low Recoil. I think Ted sells them at Northeast Trading. Any slugs should work. I use the Federal value packs of skeet/bird loads from WalMart or Dick's (7 1/2 or 8s) with an IC choke.
Steve

Usually, shotgun matches require 7 1/2 shot or smaller....8's or 9's. This is because of damage to steel targets. If you have some slugs by all means take them so you'll be prepared, in case they're shooting paper instead of steel. I would think they would have given a few requirements for ammo in the notice. Anyway, bring 7 1/2 shot loads, game or target, choke tubes if you have them, and have fun with another part of IPSC shooting.

The Bass River side matches are very laid-back fun-shoots. Always a ton of fun. Bass River is where most of us got hooked on the 3-Gun game. If it goes as historically done, there will be one stage with a nominal fee. The winner gets half the money and the club gets the other half.

Since Timmy says that there are likely to be slugs, that usually has meant that they'll have a stage where you shoot all the paper (slug targets) then all the steel (birdshot targets), or vice versa. They'll also likely have some type of procedure to guarantee that your gat is empty before you switch to the other loads.

Dan offers good advice that if you bring #7 or smaller birdshot, then you know you'll be all set. And if it should happen that you don't have the required stuff, I can guarantee that somebody there will take care of you.

thanks guys, I will get some 7 1/2 target loads. I am using a Mossberg 500 with an 18" slug barrel, no choke tubes for me.

And you will be considered a shotgun-hero for using that gun. Long steel might be a bit tough, but you will still be a hero.

And you will be considered a shotgun-hero for using that gun. Long steel might be a bit tough, but you will still be a hero

I do have a ghost ring sight on this. This is my only shotgun, it is set up to eliminate pests (mainly the 2 legged variety). I usually shoot a stock 1911 with factory loads, so I am used to doing things the hard way. Of course I don't place very high, but I have fun

I do have a ghost ring sight on this. This is my only shotgun, it is set up to eliminate pests (mainly the 2 legged variety). I usually shoot a stock 1911 with factory loads, so I am used to doing things the hard way. Of course I don't place very high, but I have fun

It sounds more like you practise with the implements you plan on bringing - a very wise approach to the problem.

Shawn,

I'll be there but not shooting the side match. A couple of us are shooting the Austrailian ICORE Postal match as the scoress are due in soon.

Long story short, I will have my shotgun in the car and extra ammo if you run short.

I usually buy Estate 3dram 8s for steel. They work real well. For Slugs, I use either Federal blue or Rem reduced recoil. The Fed blue are LE reduced recoil Law enforcement hollow points [smile]

Off to Bass River to sight in the slug gun[wink]

Back
Top Bottom