A couple of cleaing questions?

Six months ago I purchased my first pistol. A Glock 2nd Gen G-19 from gfaTECH in Natick. (Nice guys, check 'em out!) And since then I have easily put 1,500 to 2,000 rounds through it, if not more. I usually give it a full clean, anytime after 200 to 400 rds. And will run a bore snake through it and add a drop or two of lube before shooting, if I hadn't cleaned it recently.

Here is my question:

Can I really expect to push a cotton patch through the barrel of such a used gun and have it come out clean?
(Even when I first purchased the firearm and cleaned it for the first time with out firing it, I still couldn't get a fully white patch. Granted it was used.)

How I clean the barrel:
I push a wadded up patch into the barrel and pour in some Hoppes #9 solvent, give it a shake to coat and let it sit while clean the frame and slide. Then I hit it with the wire brush dipped in solvent and push some additional solvent laced patches thru with a jag. Finally I push a dry patch or two and then a lightly lubed patch and call it a day.

Can anyone recommend a better technique, a better brush, or a better solvent?

What about those Remington bore squeegees?

Thanks!
–A.

I've hit that barrel for a few hours at a time... and it still fails the white patch test. Frustrating me to no end!

Deep breaths, stay calm, don't obsess. I'd hit it with the boresnake at the end if you're really that upset by it. Don't waste your time running it through before you shoot.

What works really well for me after I do everything you mentioned is to take a patch and wrap it around the brush on end of jag. I cut a 4x4 patch in half, wrap it around, dip in M-Pro and run it through. I do this twice and it usually comes out discolored. I then run clean patches wrapped around brush through until they come out clean. I have a brush dediacted just for this purpose. It works well.

Last edited:
I'm on the side of the people here that say don't obsess over it. It is a pistol, not a precision rifle. You are going to waste a lot of unnecessary time and effort trying to get a patch to come out perfectly clean.

Just clean up most of the fouling, push a patch or two down the bore, relube and be done with it. If it takes you more than 10 - 15 minutes to clean a pistol, you are being a bit too meticulous about it.

Back
Top Bottom