1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

A cash-less society

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Palladin, Aug 4, 2016.

1. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

[rofl]I was once told by someone that he witnessed a stripper in Canada picking up stacks of $1 coins without her hands. Thats gotta be one sanitary slice of paradise.

1 person likes this.
  2. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

All you have to do is make a phone call and you're all set. You get a new card and the fraudulent charge is wiped clean. If you lose you cash, it's gone for good.

3. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5

I use a mix of both depending on if there is an advantage using one or the other. Cash discount, consumer protection, points, etc.

For the most part though, I like cash

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

4. ma_farmer

ma_farmer NES Member

I really don't like cutting the bank in for 2.5 % of my sales when they did F$$$ All.

I always try to pay local business in cash.

5. snax

snax NES Member

Where is this beef jerky for $2.71 at the 7-11. I will shop there

6. sig shooter

sig shooter

It also makes is easier for the gov to track ones habits, whereabouts and purchases. The patriot act already gives the feds a window into citizens checking, savings and credit card accounts. There is a lot of unintended or intended consequences, depending on ones view.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

7. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

On the other hand, standing out in the crowd by not generating the same volume of tracking data, makes it that much more likely the government will take an interest in your habits, whereabouts and purchases.

8. just jim

just jim

They can't track cash easily like they do credit cards. Cash gets things done cheaper plus think about how you will do things if there is no cash. Kids car wash for the class of whatever, paying the kid down the street to mow your lawn, give a bum a few bucks so he doesn't starve, buy stuff at a garage sale, how are you going to leave that tooth fairy money under the pillow?

The real value of cash is privacy, when you give up that privacy then government knows all you own and can tax you on it, or take it from you.

9. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

10. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

OK, but what do you do in the mean time while waiting for the new card to arrive ???
    Let's say you're away from home when it happens and your accounts get locked ???
    It sure would be nice to have some cash handy.

Here's an article from todays UL, this stuff happens all the time, but this is only one of the few times someone actually got caught

http://www.unionleader.com/Florida-man-pleads-guilty-to-identity-theft-of-people-in-Maine,-NH

11. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

Of course it is good to have both cash and CC on hand. But if there is a choice and no cash discount, CC is the way to go.

12. Zappa

Reading comprehension FAIL.

Here's what I said:

I didn't say that I was buying beef jerky and a Slurpee for $2.71

13. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

How are you and a hipster getting beef jerky and a Slurpee for $2.71? That's a very good price!

2 people like this.
  14. Zappa

[slap]

15. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Holy crap! Where? I'm in nh frequently but haven't seen prices like that in years!

1 person likes this.
  16. Zappa

And you won't either

[​IMG]

17. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad NES Member

After watching the second tower fall on 9/11, the first two things I did were fill every gas can in the shed and every gas tank on our cars, then went to the bank and withdrew a decent chunk of cash. Wound up using the gas eventually but the cash remains in the safe.

The time to put on your seatbelt is before you hit the tree.

18. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

Exactly... having a credit card on hand makes it easier to negotiate a cash discount. When buying from a small business, show them your credit card, while asking if there is a discount for cash. Sometimes they'll beat the cash back you get from your credit card.

I'm the perfect "deadbeat" customer, running all my work-related expenses through the card and paying it down to zero during the grace period. I'm also not loyal to one single bank or credit card, and they do seem to hate that a lot more than not carrying a balance.
    Who said never to have any cash on hand?

That said, the last time I had a credit card 'compromised', the bank offered to FedEx a new card to me, overnight, as well as immediate no-fee cash at the nearest branch.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

What is the "grace period"?

20. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

This sounds like a great idea right up until your employer goes under mid-cycle

There is usually no grace period on debit, cash advance, or certain subprime credit cards.

The period between receiving the bill, and interest starting to accrue. Under the CARD act, If you have a grace period, you are entitled to at least 21 days from the time you receive your bill to pay off the new balance before incurring finance charges. The payment due date must be the same every month.

This "float" makes it easy to maximize your benefit from running work-related expenses through a personal credit card, without ending up paying interest on those charges (assuming your employer reimburses in a timely manner, and isn't going to go under before your expense check clears). This is the one exception to the "Don't spend money you ain't got" rule of staying ahead of credit cards.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  21. jamesvt

jamesvt

The period between when a statement is generated and the due date. If you pay the statement balance by the due date you are not charged interest. I couldn't care less what my APR's are for my credit because I always pay my balances in full. I earn close to $1k a year between cashback and rewards a year and haven't paid a single cent in interest ever.
    Edit:Kevin beat me to it.

22. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

Ohh okay thanks. I had no idea it was called the grace period. The term "grace period" makes it seem like you did something wrong and they are extending the due date for you.

23. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

You are the customer. If your bank doesn't do right, go elsewhere.

On the subject of banking, it's important to remember you are the customer. If your bank or credit union doesn't suck and you have been a good customer, they want to work with you; want more of your business (if they do suck, fire them and find a new credit union). Go into a full-size branch, ask to talk to a banker. Ask them if there are better accounts for you, and if there are benefits you could be using that you might not be aware of. For example, if you have your IRA somewhere else, they'll often be able to offer you a great interest rate to move your IRA over to them.

Yes, she is probably going to attempt to talk you into applying for a credit card. Try to resist.

This is also your opportunity to have them adjust your ATM limit, or ask what size bills they have back in the vault, find out what your daily teller withdrawal limit is in case you've made it this far in the thread and still feel like stacking paper.