• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A bit of history - 1976 handgun ban vote

Dukakis burned down in flames...... Proposition 5 went with him.

Yet a few years later he ran for President and burnt down again. The little Greek has only collected gratuities from the political sector ever since. Yes, money from the speaking fees and college positions is political.

People, please vote your with your heart and mind.

Last edited:
Wow, I had never heard of that. Crazy to think of. I'm pretty horrified to think of what the results might be today.

Don't forget gov. Patrick's bill limiting purchase of 1 gun a month, 7 round mag limit, and no transfer of 10+ round mags.

down in flames, dumb idea, as is queen Healeys orders from the ivory castle.

Figured that I'll post this bit of history.

A lot of us now are disillusioned and defeatist.

Imagine how the lawful gun owners felt back in 1976 with looming total ban and confiscation. Yet they won.

http://www.davekopel.com/2A/Mags/A1F/Against-all-odds.html

There's a memory. I took the day off and stood in front of the polls in Wrentham with a sign that read "Vote No On Question 5". Lots of folks stopped to ask what it was about. Nobody gave me any sh!t. God, I'm old.

Do you know what this is^^^ called?

Kitty litter.

It's an old joke from when Dukakis was running for President and it came out that his wife was an alcoholic. Bad joke but I detest him.

Do you know what this is^^^ called?

Kitty litter.

It's an old joke from when Dukakis was running for President and it came out that his wife was an alcoholic. Bad joke but I detest him.
That's not enough bottles if I had to live with mandatory mike.

Great write-up from Dave Kopel. I remember how troubling those times were. Feels like they are back.

Wow! I had never heard of this, but it comes as absolutely no surprise. PRM's Gonna PRM. At least these days they don't have the gall to openly talk about confiscation, even If we all know that that's the endgame.

Wow! I had never heard of this, but it comes as absolutely no surprise. PRM's Gonna PRM. At least these days they don't have the gall to openly talk about confiscation, even If we all know that that's the endgame.
CA just passed a law requiring everyone to get rid of their >10 round mags, no grandfathering whatsoever.

They didn't make this key mistake this time around, unfortunately.

"By far the most important, in the eyes of swing voters, were the police. Every major police organization in the state opposed handgun confiscation—including the Chiefs of Police Association, the State Police Association, the Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association and the Sheriffs Association.

The police pointed out the ban was not enforceable, that it took the focus off the criminals and that it was unfair to deprive good citizens of defensive handguns. The police also objected that the law would disarm off-duty police: Massachusetts law required off-duty police have a pistol carry permit, and if Question 5 passed, pistol carry permits would no longer exist.

The confiscation lobby may not have intended to disarm the police, but their bill had been drafted by someone who admitted that he did not understand guns. Apparently the drafter did not understand gun laws very well, either."

CA just passed a law requiring everyone to get rid of their >10 round mags, no grandfathering whatsoever.
Right, but magazine confiscation is not something they could ever do in any effective manner. The compliance rate will be completely unknown because there will be no data to base stats on. The best they can hope for is finding high capacity killazines randomly like during traffic stops and such and touting the seizure of a couple PMAGS on the nightly news as a "victory against crime" or some such nonsense.

That was a great article. Thanks for sharing. A lot can be learned with history. Yet all these liberals don't get that.

Sent from my Rotary phone using Tapatalk

Just read the whole article and shared it with my father. Wonderful article. Thank you for sharing.

It began in 1934.

Oh, it's older than that.

Georgia tried to ban handguns in 1837 but the law was invalidated by the courts on Second Amendment grounds. After the Civil War, gun control laws in the former Confederate states targeted African-Americans. And from the turn of the 20th century, gun control laws in big cities like NY, Boston,and Chicago targeted members of various ethnic groups like Irish, Italians, and eastern Europeans, whom nativists viewed with suspicion.

Oh, it's older than that.

Georgia tried to ban handguns in 1837 but the law was invalidated by the courts on Second Amendment grounds. After the Civil War, gun control laws in the former Confederate states targeted African-Americans. And from the turn of the 20th century, gun control laws in big cities like NY, Boston,and Chicago targeted members of various ethnic groups like Irish, Italians, and eastern Europeans, whom nativists viewed with suspicion.

I believe Mass's LTC gun law, the first gun law in Mass, came out in 1906.

Yep, targeting the burgeoning Irish and Italian immigrant population which threatened the political establishment. Ironically the steps taken by the Yankees to centralize power against those ethnic groups ultimately gave scumbags like James Michael Curley the necessary powers in office to run the city of Boston and later the state into the ground.

It was due to this Ballot Question that GOAL was originally organized. They fought hard then and won. They continue to fight hard.

The problem is that the pronoun should not be "THEY". It needs to be "WE". Every gun owner in the state should refer to GOAL as "WE".

It is only with the support of membership that the organization makes a difference. Sure, being able to say they represent some 20,000 people is nice. But not nearly as nice as if they could say 100,000 or 500,000.

There was a book written about it - I've got it shelved somewhere. Lots of detailed voting data. By far and away, teachers were the most extreme anti-gun voting block. Perhaps no surprise...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a memory. I took the day off and stood in front of the polls in Wrentham with a sign that read "Vote No On Question 5". Lots of folks stopped to ask what it was about. Nobody gave me any sh!t. God, I'm old.

With age generally comes wisdom. You have seen this before. So rekindle that fire you had in 1976, the fire that burned so bright that you stood at the polls all day long in order to stop the ban. YOU, and those who were there in 1976 need to put on your boots and show the younger generations how it is done. Lead by example. Go out in front, say follow me and you will be surprised how many follow.

Back
Top Bottom