A bit confused

FrugalFannie

NES Member
though that's not unusual. I have done some searching but can't find the answer. I was under the impression you can only hunt with a bow and arrow or a shotgun in MA. I was trying to figure out if one would be able to hunt deer with a rifle in NH. While I am particularly interested in deer hunting I imagine I will want to expand into other game after my husband and I ge our hunting licenses. We are doing our hunter ed course in April in NH.

Can we hunt deer with a rifle in NH and what would be a good caliber?

Got it thanks. I looked at that and missed it. Then it took me twice to find it after you pointed me to it. [thinking]

FYI, you can also hunt with a muzzleloader in both MA and NH, which is my preferred method. As for the caliber – .270 and 30-30 are very popular. But you can use .243, .308, 30-06, 7mm, etc. Some even use 7.62x39 and .223 (however, .223 would not be my choice). Use whatever you like to shoot, but keep the weight down to 130-150gr range and avoid super hot loads. Here in NE most shots are 50-200 yards. Every deer I’ve ever taken was between 75-160 yards. So it’s really more about your preferred rifle than the ammo. And as others said you do not need NH class if you have MA hunting permit.

thanks guys. No MA hunting license or course or any other state for that matter.

We will be doing our course in April. Thanks for the info!

FYI, you can also hunt with a muzzleloader in both MA and NH, which is my preferred method. As for the caliber – .270 and 30-30 are very popular. But you can use .243, .308, 30-06, 7mm, etc. Some even use 7.62x39 and .223 (however, .223 would not be my choice). Use whatever you like to shoot, but keep the weight down to 130-150gr range and avoid super hot loads. Here in NE most shots are 50-200 yards. Every deer I’ve ever taken was between 75-160 yards. So it’s really more about your preferred rifle than the ammo. And as others said you do not need NH class if you have MA hunting permit.

Alll Very god info. However I thought in order to obtain a non resident NH hunting license you need to have a basic hunter saftey course, not just your license from another state. I think this is relatively new.

AFAIK, most, if not all, states have license/course certificate recipricosity - if you have a license from state A, and go to state B, state A's license should be sufficient (or, state A's Hunter Ed certificate).

This was my understanding from my Hunter Ed course last spring.

But, before you make a trip, a call to the state B's F&G Dept would be prudent....

Alll Very god info. However I thought in order to obtain a non resident NH hunting license you need to have a basic hunter saftey course, not just your license from another state. I think this is relatively new.

Thank you.

No, not new. At least 3-5 years. I have/had permits in MA, NH, ME, NY and PA. Unless things recently changed MA permit is enough to get one in NH..

Last edited:
For some reason, and I cant seem to find it now, I thought I read you now needed the Basic Hunter Safety Ed Course for NEW NON RESIDENT HUNTERS LICENSE IN NH, regardless of how long you had your mass license, but I will find out when I try ot get one this year and let you know for sure.

Thank you.

No, not new. At least 3-5 years. I have/had permits in MA, NH, ME, NY and PA. Unless things recently changed MA permit is enough to get one in NH..

Back
Top Bottom