• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A big OOPS at the range today!

Went to the range today (Agawam Revolver Club in Southwick MA) with a buddy to try and practice some assorted drills. Well that didnt go over well considering the rifle range was packed, and it never is! SO we decide to work on quick reaction drills and transitions instead.

Among the other two groups of people shooting, we recognize one group of them from the bar we hang out at, the other two were just a guy and his 20 something year old son.

The older guy and his son were shooting a bushmaster and once he notices that my buddy and I were shooting to quote the guy "tricked out" rifles. He started asking me about his. Now he got his off his brother from TN. As soon as I picked up I wanted nothing to do with it. It still had the bayo lug, collapsable stock and FH. I informed him of MA state laws and how his rifle was a no go. I politely told him to go speak to the owner of a local shop and he remove the bay lug install a comp and pin the stock for a small fee.

The best part this isnt even the "OOPS' moment yet.

The group of other guys from that I know from the bar are about my age (25). Two of them just got thier LTC's and took a couple of other buddies to the range with them. We let them shoot our AR's and we shot the shit for a few etc. Well now comes time to leave and these guys pack up and take off. My buddy and I are picking up our brass and we notice these guys left a rifle behind.

The rifle that was left behing was a Harrington and Richards (I think) Model 157 22 hornet with a nice new Burris Optic, and It belonged to one the the kids father!

The worst part was that me nor my buddy knew thier names, we just knew the fancied the same establishement as us. Luckily the bartender on duty today is the normal bartender that is always there and she knows everyone of them and has most of their cell phone numbers. So after about 45 min to an hour I was able to get the rifle re-united with its owner.

This whole ordeal got me thinking on how much it would break my heart if I had left a rifle or pistol behind. Not that I would becuase they are like my children but you get the idea.

-DM-

Last edited:
I wonder if that will get them banned from the range, or probation, or any other consequences.

As much as I try to double check my stuff when leaving the range I could see that happening. There are always guys to say goodbye to and making sure I've got all the accessories (ears, eyes, stapler, brass)... man stuff happens.

Good of you to track them down like that. Better your post is in "General Discussion" rather than "Classifieds - WTS rifle"!

Good on you.

Rich

I wonder if that will get them banned from the range, or probation, or any other consequences.

NO it wont its a very laid back range. The only thing that is paramount is safetly. But earlier in the week I went to work on drill by myself and there was a buch of fresh blood by the benches. Most likely from a dummy cut. For some reason they are common at that range, at least two or so a year

-DM-

I once found an extra gun in my range bag at the end of the match put there by someone who used a very similar bag. Yes, he got it back.

As soon as I picked up I wanted nothing to do with it. It still had the bayo lug, collapsable stock and FH. I informed him of MA state laws and how his rifle was a no go. I politely told him to go speak to the owner of a local shop and he remove the bay lug install a comp and pin the stock for a small fee.

We need more people like you,to keep the others in line.

Not trying to keep anyone "in line" just dont want to see some one get in trouble and lose thier right.

-DM-

I see your point,but..what someone does is really none of my business.If they want to bring an AR to the range and saw off the barrel to 10" it doesn't really concern me.I don't condone such actions,and if the person asks my opinion I would advise against doing it.

All I ask is that they let me try it.

We need more people like you,to keep the others in line.

I'd much rather a well meaning individual point out these types of legal issues than a grumpy LE type. Ignorance is no excuse of the law... so they say.

The way the message is delivered is important. Delivered properly I would see this as an act of kindness.

YMMV

Rich

Regarding the illegal AR, when I lived in CA a couple of times I went to rifle classes with trainers who were known to be tolerant (or even encouraging) of illegal "assault weapon" configurations, and it was VERY interesting to see what came out of the woodwork... it seems that a number of people had no intention whatsoever of complying with the state AWB.

I wouldnt say that I frequent bars, unless once or twice every five weeks is frequent.

Answer this though. What is the difference if some one drinks at home or at a bar, providing they dont get smashed and drive.

Portable You from W.MA?

-DM-

I see your point,but..what someone does is really none of my business.If they want to bring an AR to the range and saw off the barrel to 10" it doesn't really concern me.I don't condone such actions,and if the person asks my opinion I would advise against doing it.

I see so many illegally configured post-ban rifles at the range that I don't really give them a second thought. I certainly don't bother to let people know unless they ask me what I think of their gun. But it sounds like the OP was in this exact situation, being asked by the owner to provide feedback on the gun. So I might also, in that instance, mention that I thought it was in an illegal configuration. If they didn't care, I'd leave it at that. But if they did I'd provide them with whatever information they might want and that I could provide.

I see so many illegally configured post-ban rifles at the range that I don't really give them a second thought. I certainly don't bother to let people know unless they ask me what I think of their gun. But it sounds like the OP was in this exact situation, being asked by the owner to provide feedback on the gun. So I might also, in that instance, mention that I thought it was in an illegal configuration. If they didn't care, I'd leave it at that. But if they did I'd provide them with whatever information they might want and that I could provide.

how close of an inspection do you give those rifles? How can you tell if it is a pre-ban or an illegally configured post-ban? do you ask them?

I shoot at a very small local sportsmans' club. If I see an obvious no-no, I will point it out, discretely.
A fair number of LEOs from out of town use the range regularly. I make it a point to mention this.
Like someone mentioned, I don't want someone to get jammed up because of the ignorance of a greedy gun dealer. I expect that if I can spot a hi-cap GSG5 mag from the far end of the firing line, a cop can too.

Jack

I see the stuff all the time and ignore it. Not my business. If it is a friend or someone who asks my advise on something, that's a different story and I'll privately and casually mention it to them.

The only thing surprising about the OP's story is that ARC was packed. I've been a member there for going on 2 years and every time I shoot there it feels like my own private range. It's always a ghost town.

Back
Top Bottom