A 38H That Needed a Good Home

I picked up this Sauer 38H this past week. Besides being a late war and therefore not well finished gun, it has not been treated well since. It was also very difficult to rack the slide, but that was an easy fix as the recoil spring was not replaced properly. Most likely the late war grips broke, which is a common occurrence, but the cocking/decocking spring is broken and the mag safety spring is missing. A previous owner fashioned some home made grips for it. They did a nice job too, but I have a set of repros on the way. I have found a source for the decocking spring, but am still looking for the other spring. But the gun still works without either of those springs. I fired a clip out of it and it ran smooth

It is army marked with the Eagle 37. A 3rd variation double line legend gun.

The finish is well used too. I am still trying to determine if the finish, minus the oxidation, is as it left the factory or if those lines came after the fact. They look and feel like unfinished milling marks, but I am not sure. I think there might also be some steel wool or sand paper marks as well.

I just could not leave such a sad looking gun in the display case. It was sold "as is" and thought about not buying it. But figured if it could not be fixed I could part it out and at least get my money back. I am glad I did as it is an easy fix.

I love a good project and hope to bring this gun back to some of its former glory. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
She is a good honest classic! There are some very good repro grips with all of the logos on them available. I can shoot you a link it interested. I have it in my favorite places at home.

Checked them but they do not have the magazine safety spring. This spring is not a big deal. If I cannot find the spring the only effect that will have is that the gun will be able to be fired without a magazine. Not a big issue. I am currently working on a line for a place in Germany that has them. I would like to make the gun whole, so I would like to find one.

She is a good honest classic! There are some very good repro grips with all of the logos on them available. I can shoot you a link it interested. I have it in my favorite places at home.

I agree Daltrey, it is a classic gun. I have set of repro grips coming from Vintage Gun Grips. I thought about buying the real deal but we are looking at $150-200 for them. Repros at $23 sound much better. If the gun was an early gun in excellent condition I would save up and get the real grips. But it does not make sense on this gun.

I agree Daltrey, it is a classic gun. I have set of repro grips coming from Vintage Gun Grips. I thought about buying the real deal but we are looking at $150-200 for them. Repros at $23 sound much better. If the gun was an early gun in excellent condition I would save up and get the real grips. But it does not make sense on this gun.

Repros will be just fine. A good set of grips will really dress it up.

She's got class. I like it. Late war German guns with their less than perfect finishes are cooler to me than their pre/ early war versions. I'm glad none of my WWII German guns are in A1 mint condition with mirror polished blue. I'd be afraid to touch them if so, let alone shoot them.

Back
Top Bottom