A 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his mom after reaching into her purse.

Very sad....saw the story on the Today show and they reported the gun was in a special purse designed for concealed carry that she just received for Christmas.....I'm not saying this is accurate or not, just what was reported....

This also makes me rethink carrying a round chambered "just in case" by some terrible lapse in judgment my son ever got a hold of my gun.

Thinking about the earlier thread about what happens to your gun if you're incapacitated... Kids accessing it are a whole new dimension.

Mosaad used to carry with an empty chamber. They trained to rack the slide as part of the draw sequence. It's a valid option.

Gun-proofing your kids is essential, once they're old enough. I don't think 2 is old enough.

Last edited:
This is a horrific accident and based on what's been reported I only feel bad for the kids, I can't imagine having a loaded firearm around my kids (2 1/2 and 2 months) not in my control at all times. I've never liked the idea of purse carry and this just renforces that.

If in fact it was a CC purse it should have had a separate zipped compartment with pistol retention.

A zipper and an elastic band wouldn't have even slowed my two year old down. I wish we knew more about this family. It's so easy to be an armchair quarterback.

Sad fact is, you have little kids, you have to go that extra mile until they can be trained right. No off body carry that you are going to put down, don't carry with one in the chamber, carry something with a stiff trigger, solid manual safety, etc. Any one of those options might have made a difference here.

That orgasmic moan you heard was Shannon Watts.

on another note, how hard is it to wear a gun in a holster?

It's a bit challenging if you don't want a bulge in the wrong place in your sexy tight-fitting jeans. Don't ask me how I know.

the MDA group are having a field day with this.

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemand...70846.300719666712627/700360583415198/?type=1

I feel really bad for the kid, at some point in his young life, someone is going to tell him that he killed his mother. [thinking]

I'm learning a lot from these comments. I would have never thought that the NRA is to blame! Apparently they control everything. [rolleyes]

Whoever convinced this woman that she needed to carry a loaded gun while out shopping is completely culpable. -Wayne Rhodes

Wow. What on Earth would make an Idaho mom feel unsafe in a grocery store? I live in Istanbul, a city of 15 million, and parents routinely put their kids on public transit with zero problems from age 10 on up. The media is pumping America full of fear that other people in the world don't feel. -Karen Van Drie

Short And of course the NRA has blocked smart gun technology that would have prevented this. -Marie Hollinger

The NRA is totally to blame for propagating a culture of fear and selling a misguided narrative of American self reliance and spirit. They have distorted history to shill for a for-profit industry. They do not have a conscience. Wayne LaPierre is an evil man. -Jack Surisook

Last edited:
Mosaad used to carry with an empty chamber. They trained to rack the slide as part of the draw sequence. It's a valid option.

If you mean "Israeli carry", their civilians, contrary to popular belief, don't carry firearms. Their firearm training is geared toward military and paramilitary personnel. Try racking the slide while drawing when you're engaged in a fistfight with couple of attackers.

I guess I'm in minority when I say I feel bad for everyone including the mother. [thinking]The whole situation sucks. Thoughts and prayers for their family.

Well in the usual rush to judgement and the predilection of some on NES to blame the victim, it would appear, assuming the article is correct, that the victim used a special CCW purse gun was in a zippered compartment which puts an entirely different take on the tragic event. I am still amazed at the dexterity and strength of the two year old, but for those of you who have toddlers of that age, I guess maybe its not that extraordinary.

the MDA group are having a field day with this.

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemand...70846.300719666712627/700360583415198/?type=1

I feel really bad for the kid, at some point in his young life, someone is going to tell him that he killed his mother. [thinking]

Someone needs to tell the Bad News Whores that a family just lost their mother, a husband lost his wife, and a child will have to learn at some point that he had shot his mother when he was little. I was banned from their page a long time ago though.

Horrible story. especially when you hear that the special purse was a gift.....not a VERY special purse now is it?
Purse carry is a horrible idea. Coat.jacket carry is not wise either, what if someone asks to check your coat at a restaurant or party etc. I dont ever let my pistol off my body. carry inside the pocket or inside waist band.

I'm not absolving the mom; I feel that she's responsible for her own death, and I'm sad that her loved ones are the ones left to pick up the pieces of her mistake.

That Wash Post article suggests to me that she might have previously been using a different method of carry. Then her husband gave her a new CC purse just under a week ago. So it seems logical to me that she'd just started purse carry, and that this might have been one of the first times she'd carried in her purse.

Maybe leaving her purse in the shopping cart was something she'd done a million times before, without a gun in it. I can attest that two year olds get curious about everything, and I can also attest that a mountain-state Walmart is a distracting place to be with a bunch of young kids in tow. Again, I'm not absolving the mom, but I can see easily enough how this kind of thing could have happened.

I feel saddest for the husband, with what he thought was the perfect Christmas present.

Well in the usual rush to judgement and the predilection of some on NES to blame the victim, it would appear, assuming the article is correct, that the victim used a special CCW purse gun was in a zippered compartment which puts an entirely different take on the tragic event. I am still amazed at the dexterity and strength of the two year old, but for those of you who have toddlers of that age, I guess maybe its not that extraordinary.

Oh I know the rushing to judgement is completely just a NES thing. I dont know what you like more, ripping NH or NES.

Oh and yes it was solely on the victim.

Oh I know the rushing to judgement is completely just a NES thing. I dont know what you like more, ripping NH or NES. Oh and yes it was solely on the victim.

Derek,

I didn't say it was an NES thing. I said it was a predilection of some, not all. I'm not ripping NH but any state that has a Democratic governor, a delegation to the US Congress where 3 out of the 4 are Democrats and in the last 3 Presidential elections has given its electoral votes to the Democratic candidate for president are simple facts. How is that ripping NH? The issue here is that some are victim blaming. Some are saying that she shouldn't have carried in a purse. Apparently it was in a special compartment. It's the rush to judgement thing and is part of the human condition. Now there are serious doubts raised that North Korea may not have hacked Sony, and it goes on and on. It's the nature of human nature just as it is the nature of human nature to want to defend your creation. In the end this is the house that you built and we are but your guests.

Bottom line is that it is a tragedy and it will effect that poor child and his family for the rest of their lives and that poor kid could live into the 22nd Century.

Mark

Strikes me that while this is a tragedy, statistically it is absurdly rare and as such should not be used as a reason to do anything other than, as folks have suggested above, encourage people to be more aware and careful in not permitting a firearm to not be within their control. So while the antis will make a big deal about it, this event is simply not a recurring problem.

Very sad....saw the story on the Today show and they reported the gun was in a special purse designed for concealed carry that she just received for Christmas.....I'm not saying this is accurate or not, just what was reported....

I read the same thing elsewhere...

Back
Top Bottom