• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his mom after reaching into her purse.

HAYDEN, Idaho (AP) — Authorities in northern Idaho say a 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his mother after he reached into her purse at a Wal-Mart store and the concealed gun fired.

Kootenai County sheriff’s spokesman Stu Miller tells reporters that the shooting was accidental and occurred in the store in Hayden, Idaho, a town about 40 miles northeast of Spokane, Washington.

Miller says the woman had a concealed weapons permit. Her identity has not been released.

The Wal-Mart closed after the shooting.

Hayden is a politically conservative town of about 9,000 people just north of Coeur d'Alene in Idaho’s northern panhandle.

That is sad.

And it is a complete ****ing failure of keeping loaded firearms out of toddlers hands. I'm thinking cocked UNlocked single action. Jesus , does she store gasoline in mixing bowls in her gas oven , too ?

That sucks.

And, I am guessing there was no holster or anything else to make sure this doesn't happen. Is it common to have a loose pistol chambered with safety off just laying around in a hand bag with random other objects that could pull against the trigger?

And, I am guessing there was no holster or anything else to make sure this doesn't happen. Is it common to have a loose pistol chambered with safety off just laying around in a hand bag with random other objects that could pull against the trigger?

Yes, if you're an idiot. I feel bad for nobody here except for that kid.

Every time I hear about a ND while carrying I always assume the firearm wasn't in a proper holster.

I have nothing to base this on but this is what I imagine happening. Hubby comes home with a box. "Here us go baby, got a purty little pink .38 for ya, just toss that in yer purse. Good ta go!"

When I saw this I said to my wife that I couldn't imagine a 2 year old being able to pull a trigger on a modern firearm, either DA revolver, DA/SA auto or striker fired pistol. Good reason I suppose to have some sort of manual safety and if not that a carrier or holster for the gun.

This one is a strange one. I hope more facts emerge.

When I saw this I said to my wife that I couldn't imagine a 2 year old being able to pull a trigger on a modern firearm, either DA revolver, DA/SA auto or striker fired pistol. Good reason I suppose to have some sort of manual safety and if not that a carrier or holster for the gun.

the kid could have pulled on the handle and the trigger got snagged on some think thats what im thinking

This. Coupled with the loaded gun shouldn't be accessible to the kid while they're walking around in the store. Assume she put her purse next to kid in cart seat. Not a good idea.

So far, the only information released is that it is a small caliber firearm. Just unbelievable.

The woman, whose identity was not released, had a concealed weapons permit. Miller said the young boy was left in a shopping cart, reached into the victim's purse and grabbed a small-caliber handgun, which discharged one time.

This is a heart breaking story. It doesn't sound like the mother made any completely idiotic mistakes, aside from turning her attention away from her child for a moment.

I think purse carry is a bad idea due to the above story and also that a thieves first target will probably be the purse.

Sadly it's the only way many women will carry because they refuse to wear looser clothing to conceal a pistol on their person.

This also makes me rethink carrying a round chambered "just in case" by some terrible lapse in judgment my son ever got a hold of my gun.

I'm very cautious about it, but I couldn't imagine how I would feel if anything stupid ever happened

This sucks all around. The anti's love to point to incidents like this to prove their agenda.

I'm not an anti and I see nothing wrong with pointing out that if your trigger finger is your safety you really should know where your trigger and your finger are at all times.

- - - Updated - - -

This also makes me rethink carrying a round chambered "just in case" by some terrible lapse in judgment my son ever got a hold of my gun.

You have done it now. Welcome to purgatory.

Store video they played on the news showed the 2 yr old reaching in the purse, pulling out the handgun, chambering a round and then shooting her. He was thens heard to say "I said NO pureed peas damnit"

Ok so that didnt really happen but it will be on msnbc

Sent from the blind

Very sad.
Poor kid will have a tough time with this when he's old enough to understand.
I couldn't stress to my female students enough why purse carry is s bad idea.
This wasn't even one of the reasons why.
I know of people who should know better encouraging it.

+1 sounds fishy, and a lethal shot from inside a handbag?

I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised. I see women leaving their purses/pocket books in their carts unattended all the time. Just asking for theft - and to leave one with a weapon in it - just mind boggling. As others have said, sad for the child.

Back
Top Bottom