9mm

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never understood that argument - not calling you out specifically as many people said this over the years. Sure before corona, prices on 9mm were dirt cheap but everyone forgets about availability. Not needing to stalk TSUSA website and/or local gun shops for ammo, is a really nice feeling.

And yes you should start reloading. If you can find stuff now, it's never to late to start acquiring a press etc. Yes primers will be insanely tough but you should be able to get everything else with a little bit of effort.
No, not really.

Reloading presses and sets are OOS just about everywhere (including on the manufacturer's sites).
That's been the case for almost several months now.

Try getting on Ebay and seeing what prices are like on used and new: RCBS, LEE, LYMAN and Other Brand presses, shell holders, dies and other reloading gear (especially anything related to 9mm or .223 reloading).

Example: I have an RCBS partner press that I use strictly for decapping. I think I paid like $70 for it around 2014. They are going for more than 2x that used. The "new" in box press sets are also going for as much as 3x their normal prices.

Even on the different Press Manufacturer sites literally everything is "out" from Powders, to bullets, to everything shot-shell related.
And most say are listed as "Out / No Back Order"."

I'm fortunate, I rounded-up some straggler components that I needed right before it got real bad, so I've been keeping tabs (out of curiosity) on the availability of general reloading components and reloading gear.

Check this out for example: Reloading Supplies & Equipment Online: Titan Reloading
We have temporarily suspended all Back-ordering and Pre-ordering due to unpredictable stock availability. Unprecedented demand for reloading equipment has our suppliers behind on fulfillment. We have an absolute ONE PER CUSTOMER limit on all reloading equipment during this inventory shortage to keep prices down and items in stock for all. Use our 'Notify System' found in every listing for in stock updates.

Last edited:

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood that argument - not calling you out specifically as many people said this over the years. Sure before corona, prices on 9mm were dirt cheap but everyone forgets about availability. Not needing to stalk TSUSA website and/or local gun shops for ammo, is a really nice feeling.

And yes you should start reloading. If you can find stuff now, it's never to late to start acquiring a press etc. Yes primers will be insanely tough but you should be able to get everything else with a little bit of effort.

I've always thought it was a useful skill set even if one wasn't immediately planning on using it when things were cheap, but I for one saw the writing on the wall way too late. Even if I get a nice rig now, primers are almost as hard to source as full rounds. Where was Eugene sourcing primers in the Walking Dead?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me personally I just never had an issue finding 9mm ammo at reasonable prices until the last year or two when things really went shit. That and most ranges that I visit “require” that you leave all of your empty brass behind. I guess at the time money spent to get set up for reloading just didn’t make a lot of economical sense to me vs spending my money on more ammo or another gun.
In retrospect I should have got set up not for cost saving potential but to be prepared for scenarios like this. Don’t make the same mistake twice

Robin Proctor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
For me personally I just never had an issue finding 9mm ammo at reasonable prices until the last year or two when things really went shit. That and most ranges that I visit “require” that you leave all of your empty brass behind.

You are going to the wrong ranges. I’ve never had a problem at a public range as long as it’s behind the firing line.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to the wrong ranges. I’ve never had a problem at a public range as long as it’s behind the firing line.
I don’t disagree. Limited by geography I guess. Most private ranges I’ve seen either require you to leave your brass or don’t let you collect it. Last place I was a member actually left buckets you were supposed to put all of your brass in. I’ve been looking into joining Tiverton. I think they require the same but can’t confirm

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"after this whole mess" may be six months or maybe two years. start collecting the stuff you need to reload. get a piece here, a piece there. the biggest expense is going to be the press, but you need dies, scale, manuals, micrometer plus of course components. save your money, shop around, get a press first, then get the stuff to go with it.
Good idea. I need to start doing my research and allocating some funds towards doing this. I’ll start looking into Presses first

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I've always thought it was a useful skill set even if one wasn't immediately planning on using it when things were cheap, but I for one saw the writing on the wall way too late. Even if I get a nice rig now, primers are almost as hard to source as full rounds. Where was Eugene sourcing primers in the Walking Dead?
I just ordered 2k SPP and 2k SRP in the last hour. Yesterday I got 5k SPP.
It takes some diligence and helpful if you use some reloading apps that show in stock items.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 2k SPP and 2k SRP in the last hour. Yesterday I got 5k SPP.
It takes some diligence and helpful if you use some reloading apps that show in stock items.
First thing I need to do is read up good and make sure I order the right Press. I’ve made the mistake too many times of realizing after I’ve bought something that I should have bought something else.
mill primarily be reloading 9mm, but would like the option to reload 7.62x39 as well

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Much appreciated I will look into this
No, not really.

Reloading presses and sets are OOS just about everywhere (including on the manufacturer's sites).

Try getting on Ebay and seeing what prices are like on used and new: RCBS, LEE, LYMAN and Other Brand presses, shell holders, dies and other reloading gear (especially anything related to 9mm or .223 reloading).

Example: I have an RCBS partner press that I use strictly for decapping. I think I paid like $70 for it around 2014. They are going for more than 2x that used. The "new" in box press sets are also going for as much as 3x their normal prices.

Even on the different Press Manufacturer sites literally everything is "out" from Powders, to bullets, to everything shot-shell related.

I'm fortunate, I rounded-up some straggler components that I needed right before it got real bad, so I've been keeping tabs (out of curiosity) on the availability of general reloading components and reloading gear.

Check this out for example: Reloading Supplies & Equipment Online: Titan Reloading
Dillon Precision XL750 Reloader | BSPS (benstoegerproshop.com)
Edit: sold out

Last edited:

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
For me personally I just never had an issue finding 9mm ammo at reasonable prices until the last year or two when things really went shit. That and most ranges that I visit “require” that you leave all of your empty brass behind.
Lmao you need to stop going to shitty ranges. MFL at least has no problems with allowing me to take my brass, likely others...

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No, not really.

There are other sources. I have no trouble getting powder and bullets right now. I have lots of trouble getting primers - I think I have enough for a year, possibly two.
I'm getting ready to load .45ACP. I ordered the dies from Dillon, 14 weeks leadtime, but they'll be here. The casefeeder plate already shipped.

I bought a second XL650 a couple of months ago via FleaBay. It was priced reasonably.

I'm not saying it's as simple, nor as cheap, as it was to buy reloading equipment, but it's definitely out there, you just have to look harder.

bobcat armament:
1610752757463.png

MEWE:
1610752369965.png

1610752427861.png

1610752459916.png

1610752625998.png

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think by and large, non-reloaders of 9mm are less regretful that they didn't take up reloading as that they failed to stock up sufficiently on factory-loaded ammo when it was cheap and available to make reloading now unnecessary. I had reloaded some 9mm, but I generally chose to buy it factory-loaded before March 2020. Now I reload it. If it comes back down to 2019 prices and availability, I'll probably stop reloading it. The real question is whether I will choose to stock up better on factory-loaded 9mm then or if I will keep additional components in case of future shortages.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think by and large, non-reloaders of 9mm are less regretful that they didn't take up reloading as that they failed to stock up sufficiently on factory-loaded ammo when it was cheap and available to make reloading now unnecessary. I had reloaded some 9mm, but I generally chose to buy it factory-loaded before March 2020. Now I reload it. If it comes back down to 2019 prices and availability, I'll probably stop reloading it. The real question is whether I will choose to stock up better on factory-loaded 9mm then or if I will keep additional components in case of future shortages.

A key word above is "sufficiently". I agree with you that it's a balance between cost and time, if the ammo's cheap enough, you buy it to save your time. For me, for a number of reasons, reloading is almost therapy. It's quiet time and I have ammo at the end.

I have about 2000 rounds of factory general purpose 9mm on the shelf, plus about 500 rounds of factory defense 9mm. I use the factory with new guns if my reloads don't run the gun to eliminate my reload as the issue.

If prices go down again, I'll pick up another couple thousand, just because. But before I do that, I'll buy more primers.

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The answer to that is...........Both
Probably. 9mm isn't in my top 4, though. I only shoot a couple of cases a year, if that, so for me it doesn't take a lot of stocking up. Might be a foregone conclusion, though, if 9mm prices don't drop below $0.30 per round when the dust finally settles. To offset the trouble of brass collection and processing, primer and bullet stocking, and reloading, there is the chance of loading higher-quality ammo for still less than what range ammo used to cost. I could see myself shifting to relying almost entirely on reloading 9mm the way I have with all the other centerfire cartridges I shoot.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably. 9mm isn't in my top 4, though. I only shoot a couple of cases a year, if that, so for me it doesn't take a lot of stocking up. Might be a foregone conclusion, though, if 9mm prices don't drop below $0.30 per round when the dust finally settles. To offset the trouble of brass collection and processing, primer and bullet stocking, and reloading, there is the chance of loading higher-quality ammo for still less than what range ammo used to cost. I could see myself shifting to relying almost entirely on reloading 9mm the way I have with all the other centerfire cartridges I shoot.
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. At the very least I’ll get a reloading setup so that I learn the skill and have some stock and the option should the need arise. I’d really like to reload my own 7.62x39, except even if I spend the money on the brass, not sure how much reloading I’d be able to do since my rifle smashes the ever loving shit out of cases when it ejects them

btnh6668

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I suppose the lesson learned here is what our minimum comfort is. In 2019 id say most would agree 3-4k of any caliber was sufficient amount. Fast forward to now, i would argue that number is now 6-8K. That is of course for people who actually shoot. Not those who go out shooting once a year and horde ammo for a hobby.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose the lesson learned here is what our minimum comfort is. In 2019 id say most would agree 3-4k of any caliber was sufficient amount. Fast forward to now, i would argue that number is now 6-8K. That is of course for people who actually shoot. Not those who go out shooting once a year and horde ammo for a hobby.
I hoard ammo not as a hobby, but as insurance

Bird

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has been doing pretty well all covid, stopping at every conceivable place in his travels that might have ammo.
He just got his license early march 2020 only has a 22 rifle and pistol.
22lr hes managed all but 1 week to pick up a 500 round brick a week.
Hes been grabbing 9 and 45 along the way and still has managed a good stock pile until he gets a pistol. He told me a good amount of his 45 was bought at lower prices than what it is now. Hes thinking of selling off the 45 to fund a 9mm handgun
I can help with buying a couple boxes. no defense rounds h.p. what have u got
Any 9mm range ammo

Any 9mm range ammo
I've got 600 rnd s 9mm fmj

Top Bottom