• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm vs a bear update

Long time ago I started a thread about a bear vs a 9mm... Lots if not everyone said it wouldn't work.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...izzly-bear-9mm-handgun-charges-female-client/

Felt I should share that article.

Happy easter btw.

FWIW I dont actually plan on carrying a 9mm in bear country when backpacking. Bear mace/g29 will be just fine. But in reality I probably wouldnt bring either. I've seen plenty of bears and they typically just mind their own business.

Long time ago I started a thread about a bear vs a 9mm... Lots if not everyone said it wouldn't work.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...izzly-bear-9mm-handgun-charges-female-client/

Felt I should share that article.

Happy easter btw.

FWIW I dont actually plan on carrying a 9mm in bear country when backpacking. Bear mace/g29 will be just fine. But in reality I probably wouldnt bring either. I've seen plenty of bears and they typically just mind their own business.

Until you meet the one that doesn't.

Using that logic we should all just leave our CCW's at home.[smile][devil2]

Not sure I would call a caliber effective if it required 7 rounds to stop a threat. The 3953 has 7+1 capacity, and the guide fired all but one. I think he got lucky and hit an artery.

My dad used to hunt and fish without a guide in brown bear country. His outfitter / bush pilot service mandated magnum handguns for back up. Dad carried a DW 44VH and after seeing the size of the Bears was glad he didn't bring a .357.

I'd be pissed if my guide showed up with a 9mm. 9mm OK (not great, just ok) round for people size threats but irresponsible for brown bears.

The difference between stupid, and ballsy, is that with ballsy, you didn't get hurt.
-Aphorisms of MisterHappy

Or, in this case, clients didn't get turned into bear scat. [laugh]

That said, I'd have appreciated something bigger. There is a line in a Jack London story, about how a native person finds out that it's not advisable to use a revolver against a grizzly. [shocked]

ETA:
To Mountain's point - HE might be unhappy about the guide not bringing enough gun, but then, were Mountain to be one of the clients, he'd probably have his own sidearm. (Alaska's like a colder version of Vermont WRT gun laws IIRC). These people may have been chechaquos, and not gun savvy. Hell, the clients may have thought that Gentle Ben would not be a problem, and that the guide did not need an assault AK-47! [laugh]

Last edited:
Until you meet the one that doesn't.

Using that logic we should all just leave our CCW's at home.[smile][devil2]

A couple falls ago we had a huge bear on our deck, sniffing through our screen door. I shooed him away just like I would shoo a neighbor's dog, except I had my hand on my P220- just in case.

attachment.php

You win the interweb today.

I wouldn't feel that bad going out into bear country with a 9mm, but for f**k's sake I would have something with a higher capacity than 7+1.

The grip on a double stack and is a bit wider.
It's going to hurt more when the bear shoves it where the sun don't shine.[laugh]

<snip>
Emergency responders came upon Patel’s body about four hours later. The bear was in the area, authorities said. Eventually, a police officer shot and killed the bear.

An autopsy showed that Patel was mauled by the bear. Human remains were found in the bear’s stomach and esophagus, and human blood and tissue were found underneath its claws, authorities said.

The death of Patel was the first confirmed instance of a person being killed by a bear in New Jersey. Some 60 such fatal attacks have occurred in North America over the last century, experts said. However, the attacks on Patel can still be considered "one in a million," they added.
<snip>
I doubt the cop shot the bear with a 9mm, or ANY caliber handgun for that matter. And I seriously doubt being the "1 in a million" winner was much consolation for young Patel...

If I ever go wandering about in "Bear Country" I'll be carrying more than just my 1911 and spare mags. The Redhawk 44 I have listed for sale is NOT the only one I own.

Back
Top Bottom